The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

roadhouse racecar build

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tulsa, OK
Grant 302 said:
Because your car doesn't look as, uh, excited to be on track? ;) ;D

hahahaha... it's an optical illusion, the pleats

[quote author=superhero]
I like the black bumper cover. Add a few black trim peices here and there and it will flow real nice.
[/quote]

Thanks! Black wheels, roof, spoiler, numbers, etc. Should be easy on the eyes... Now the color of my new wheels, that may be a different story :-X

roadhouse said:
hahahaha... it's an optical illusion, the pleats

Thanks! Black wheels, roof, spoiler, numbers, etc. Should be easy on the eyes... Now the color of my new wheels, that may be a different story :-X
"Oh now don't act like you are all not impressed..." Burgandy is classic.....

Tulsa, OK
Not much going on lately. I have an Odyssey PC680 that I will be installing in the stock location this weekend. I also picked up a new McLeod clutch line in hopes that this will cure my issues with losing fluid at the transmission elbow connection. My refurbished PF01s (painted orange :eek:)should be ready for pickup this weekend and I'm going to mount them on the 315/680 slicks. After seeing a picture of these tires on cloud9's car they look much better than I had anticipated.

My Racecapture Pro came in and I have done all the initial set up with it. This little device is pretty slick. I'll hook it up to the car and test out how the digital dash works on my 7" Galaxy Tablet over the weekend once my car is running.

E16B6D98-73DE-45C8-A8C6-AD710332F0DB_zpsisyllvdn.jpg

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
roadhouse said:
. My refurbished PF01s (painted orange :eek:)should be ready for pickup this weekend and I'm going to mount them on the 315/680 slicks.

Orange on white should look pretty cool

11255850_10155580257915022_7608133513996580024_n.jpg

Tulsa, OK
Here is the Odyssey PC680 installed. I used the stock battery tray and moved the battery hold-down to accommodate the new battery position. The positive terminal is connected upside down (still secure) and the negative terminal is connected the right way; this allowed me to lay the battery down. It works but I may make my own terminals or modify these one day to help with the new layout. Per Vorshlag, switching to the PC680 saves over 17lbs over the stock battery.

04565BFE-2282-4AEB-95C8-4D021B34115B_zpsoucgm18v.jpg

4065A3B4-C7AC-4FBC-BD00-0D1ABF0B24B9_zpsfx9hhjoq.jpg

I also replaced my leaky aftermarket clutch line (not sure of brand) with a McLeod line. The leaky line had a goobered-up o-ring which was causing the issue. New one should hold up better. She runs and moves under her own power again!

Tulsa, OK
You can drill out the rivet holding the hold-down from the back of the battery box and it will be the perfect length for this setup. I drilled a new hole on the tab of the left side of the box and connected the hold down with a bolt and nut. Then you can use the bolt that holds the box down at the deepest point to connect the other side of the hold down. It worked out surprisingly well! lol

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
10-4. My biggest issue was getting the length of the hold-down correct for vertically mounting in the stock location. This is promising, though. I didn't think to connect the + side upside down..crafty guy :)

Odyssey offers most of their batteries in a reversed terminal orientation if that is what you need. I run the larger PC925 reverse terminal version in the Pikes Peak Subaru and my daily driver Miata. Also, if you need a different size, there is a wide variety. The PC680 is popular and has a lot of aftermarket support, but if a different size or terminal orientation works better, do it.

Tulsa, OK
modernbeat said:
Odyssey offers most of their batteries in a reversed terminal orientation if that is what you need. I run the larger PC925 reverse terminal version in the Pikes Peak Subaru and my daily driver Miata. Also, if you need a different size, there is a wide variety. The PC680 is popular and has a lot of aftermarket support, but if a different size or terminal orientation works better, do it.

Thanks for the info! I had no clue...

Tulsa, OK
After a little discussion with one of my track buddies, we've come to the conclusion that my stock trac-lok differential is tired and worn out. Lately I've been spinning the inside rear tire coming out of corners and we think this may have contributed to me wrecking the car a few months back. Basically the diff goes open when I'm on the throttle coming out of a corner and I'm only putting down to one wheel. I'm not trying to use this as an excuse for my wreck, because my driving ultimately lead to my demise, but this could have played a part in my ability to control the car once it got loose.

Anyway, my options appeared to be either rebuild the trac-lok ($100 and my time) and see how long it lasts or upgrade the differential unit to a Torsen T2 or T2-R. I figured I might as well upgrade and do things right since this will now be a dedicated track car, so I ordered a T2-R. Bring on the traction. I also purchased a set of 3.55 gears that I will swap in to replace my 3.73 gears while I'm in there. I am at the limiter in 4th gear twice on my home track with 3.73s so this should give me a little extra breathing room on the straights.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
The larger tire size you are talking about plus the taller rear gear should give you lots of extra revs. Let us know how you like the T2R, the Boss T2 works great on-track. You can feel it pull the car through the corners on-power.

Wheels look good :)

roadhouse said:
After a little discussion with one of my track buddies, we've come to the conclusion that my stock trac-lok differential is tired and worn out...

We also had issues with the Trac-Lok that came in our GT. Aside from high wear and frequent rebuilds, it built an extreme amount of heat in the rear end, boiling the fluid and damaging seals. We built a catch can for the fluid, and rebuilt the rear end and differential every couple months. Switching to the carbon plates helped a little with longevity, but not with the heat. We also switched to the T2R which gave us a better diff and eliminated the heat issues.

I think you'll like the taller gears. When I can get one of our customers to switch to the 3.55 or 3.31 they end up with an easier to drive car and better lap times.

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
I've been running a T-2 with 3.55s and a diff cooler for almost 4 years now and I think it's the best combo for the car. With most road race tires being an inch shorter than OEM tires the gearing is much better. The few corners I am between needing 2nd vs 3rd gear are outweighed by the long legs of 4th gear in high speed sweepers or medium long straights.
You will be happy and faster with the change.
Steve

Tulsa, OK
Some pics of my 18x10.5 Enkei PF01s on 315/680/18 Pirelli slicks. :eek: 4x4 status engage

E3C50A08-5BD8-40BD-B6E0-494FF21AD6E4_zpskbalhucx.jpg

92F4995B-E1E1-4579-A080-C085646F4B9C_zpsqhe9x0f7.jpg

5DC59495-0D0C-4597-A6A5-E57CF4BC1761_zpswapthyjr.jpg

A9DEBA5C-390F-4CE7-9BD9-606926DF3B9A_zps8ltg3dww.jpg

315/680/18 on a 10.5" wheel compared to 305/645/18 on a 10 wheel"
4F3BAFA8-A4FE-42FD-842D-E44F0A4EDEDD_zpsvu5l1mop.jpg

30E91C03-259F-4F11-9919-E1F07B379B27_zpskkw4001n.jpg

TMO Supporting Vendors