The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

  • Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Rock Chip(s)

713
65
Got 1 a few weeks ago. Share your pain. Any help would be great. Mine is a light scratch on the front quarter about 3" long
 
Clear bra...
 
I installed a clear bra on mine.... Florida "Love Bug" season is about to start again (twice a year thing). The clear bra has saved the front end of many of my cars....
 
Couple method's I have used-

Factory touch up paint, then follow with this: http://www.langka.com/

I also tried this, which works pretty well also: http://www.autopia-carcare.com/dr-colorchip-paint-chip-repair-kit.html
 
I got a small bottle of Yellow Blaze paint from a dealership in Iowa who sent it right away and will attempt to fix the rock chip this week. I've been told various different ways to repair the damage and will see what works.

I'm sure it will be noticeable to me, but I am hoping not to the general public or someone who's not looking for the rock chip. Stay tuned.........
 
BlazinBoss302 said:
I installed a clear bra on mine.... Florida "Love Bug" season is about to start again (twice a year thing). The clear bra has saved the front end of many of my cars....

When is the next round of that, never saw it in Broward so it was new to me this year. I think I will just park the Boss next time.
 
Two things do do here.One get venture shield clear bra.
2nd Dr Color Chip is your hero.866-372-2548 Do a google search to see video
best of luck!
 
I've gotten my bottle of touch up paint and will attempt to either try and fix the chips myself or maybe just see if a body shop will let one of their guys do it. When I looked at the paint, it seems like the right color but very thin......odds are it will take a couple of coats.

*Update: I left while writing this to get the windows tinted and stopped at a local body shop.....they are willing to use my touch up and fix it for free!!! Oh how it pays to live in the midwest!! I will let you know how it turns out.
 
Well for those of you who have Yellow Blaze as a color, I suggest you get a clear bra for the front of the car and avoid buying the touch up paint.

I brought the car into a body shop and asked to see what they could do using the touch up bottle I had bought. Using several small coats on the rock chip, it appears the paint provided is more of the pearl/metallic than the yellow. Thus, making it difficulty to fill in correctly.

Unfortunately, the bumpers are primed using black and when a chip is taken out it's the color shown. With help from the body shop, they suggested when it comes time for me to repaint the bumper and add the clear bra it would be a good idea to maybe try using the yellow in the door jams as the primer rather than a black or grey.

Too bad one cannot "shrink wrap" their bumper in a clear bra!! I'm afraid however by getting one, it will take away from the overall shine and show of the bumper. I could be wrong though.
 
190
0
Dr. Color chip, it doesn't work miracles like some of the videos you see. Basically if you have a chip down to the primer or metal, it's going to stand out, you cover it up with a paint then it's not going to be noticeable in a pix most of the time or to the casual person looking over your car. Once you know it's there or somebody that is looking for it they are going to see it most of the time.

Only way around that is primary and paint to fill in the chip and it has to be perfectly smooth with the existing paint. That's pretty unrealistic with a bottle of paint and a brush no matter how good you get at it.

Having said that, it's going to happen to a car if you drive it and that's what we bought these for.

On a side note, I had a Lotus and the come with Start Shields. They are a clear plastic that you apply over the paint. I want to find something like that for my LS.

I use the concept on all my mountain bikes. So I ride them and when I'm ready to sell them I pull the plastic clear coat off and they look like new.

For the Lotus you have this on the hood, and quarter panels. Anybody know of a kit for the Mustangs?

Thanks.
 

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Moderator
8,524
2,332
Arizona, USA
frosty said:
Dr. Color chip, it doesn't work miracles like some of the videos you see. Basically if you have a chip down to the primer or metal, it's going to stand out, you cover it up with a paint then it's not going to be noticeable in a pix most of the time or to the casual person looking over your car. Once you know it's there or somebody that is looking for it they are going to see it most of the time.

Only way around that is primary and paint to fill in the chip and it has to be perfectly smooth with the existing paint. That's pretty unrealistic with a bottle of paint and a brush no matter how good you get at it.

Having said that, it's going to happen to a car if you drive it and that's what we bought these for.

On a side note, I had a Lotus and the come with Start Shields. They are a clear plastic that you apply over the paint. I want to find something like that for my LS.

I use the concept on all my mountain bikes. So I ride them and when I'm ready to sell them I pull the plastic clear coat off and they look like new.

For the Lotus you have this on the hood, and quarter panels. Anybody know of a kit for the Mustangs?

Thanks.

There are a number of companies including 3M and ClearShield that make pre-cut kits for the Mustang. Just look up a 2010+ Mustang template.
 
+1 for the clear bra (PPF). I've installed the pre-cut kits using Avery Dennison's Nano PPF and XPEL's new Ultimate PPF. I installed the Avery first and then pulled it off to try the XPEL. Between the two I prefer the Avery because it has a better gloss look and was much easier to install than the XPEL. The XPEL feels thicker though so it may protect the paint better.
 
190
0
Having a company come install the 3M ScotchGuard Tues. I'm going to do the bumper, hood, rocker panel kit and possibly the rear bumper.

My concern is the decals. I hope to keep this car long term and I'm trying decide if I should allow them to cover the details.

I'm afraid 5 or 10 years down the road, the clear bra may need to be pulled off and I don't want to the original decals to come off with it.

Thoughts?
 
frosty said:
Having a company come install the 3M ScotchGuard Tues. I'm going to do the bumper, hood, rocker panel kit and possibly the rear bumper.

My concern is the decals. I hope to keep this car long term and I'm trying decide if I should allow them to cover the details.

I'm afraid 5 or 10 years down the road, the clear bra may need to be pulled off and I don't want to the original decals to come off with it.

Thoughts?
On my hood the guy that installed mine cut around the stripes so they are not covered.
 
332
0
I had 3M VentureShield installed soon after I bought the car. He trimmed it around the black striping as you may be able to see if you look carefully in the photos. I highly recommend a clear bra!

100_4060.png
100_4062.png
 

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel
Top