The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Rolex 24

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

In the V6L
Of course it's a bit of a mystery why there's BOP in the first place. I know that it's all about equalizing the cars so the drivers are more important to success, but real competition starts at the drawing board, not the pit wall. Dumping BOP and implementing budget limits and safety rules would be a game changer.

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
Well, if nothing else the new Cup car is looking good. IRS transaxle, sequential 5 speed gearbox, complete re-think on the aero, supposedly going to be more resemblance to the OEM cars. Also using a spec frame to get costs down and that can't hurt. Test drivers so far have said the new car does not pick itself up if you get the ass end hung out like the current car does, the driver has to drive the new one. All good stuff methinks!

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
The 4 speed is definitely gone. I expect they will go with a 6 speed to add to the OEM flavor.
The biggest changes, besides the car will be Limits on spending and testing. Teams are limited to 150 hours of wind tunnel time, this year. If you own one car or a fleet, you get 150 hours. This will likely lead to the small teams suddenly using the wind tunnel more.....with funding coming from ??? Expect the larger teams to be piggy backing with the smaller teams. This should help level the field some what.
There is talk of a composite body. They are cheaper to build, cheaper to maintain and they flex. Rub a wall during practice now and you need your backup car(s). With a composite body, minor "Rubbin" will simply flex back. A major rub will be repaired at the track. Wad up a car and the repairs will be easier since the chassis will be modular.
NASCAR will race the road course at Indy. Exfinity cars will use the infield, i believe in 2020. Expect more of this. Mostly because the younger crowd, and some of us old guys like to watch road races over 300 to 1000 left turns. Who knew??

Last edited:
some of us old guys like to watch road races over 300 to 1000 left turns. Who knew??
Road races can definitely grab your attention, but I'm not givin up my Daytona and Taledega ovals............even with the restrictor plates.............. remember Bill Elliott's qualifying speed of almost 213 MPH at Taledega in 1987..that's what spawned the restrictor plates we have now at those super speedways.....which ironically were built for speed with the 3 story high banking in the turns, flat out straights and 2.5 plus mile ovals.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel