The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Roll bar recommendations?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Next, we wanted to find a different anchor point other than the sheetmetal wheel wells. Combine this objective with our desire to improve the structural rigidity of the car, and we came up with the design to incorporate a rear tower brace. While this is still sheetmetal (like the wheel wells), it is a reinforced, double-walled area and the forces that could be exerted on it are largely in shear (in contrast to compression). We believe it is a stronger mount and simultaneously adds a very beneficial tower brace to the car to improve the rigidity of the rear end of the car.

BossRBTower1_640x480.jpg

RearStrutTower_Right.JPG

Perhaps our most ambitious objective was to design a roll bar that could ship completely finished (in the color choice of the buyer) and NOT require any fitting or welding setps. Further, we really disliked the slip-fit with a through-bolt design that seems to be very popular with bars - especially in the Porsche cars. We wanted a functional bar but also we wanted a smooth, elegant appearance. We were able to achieve this using some unique fasteners. As such, our bar ships complete and fully powdercoated - ready for installation as soon as you remove it from the shipping box.

BossRBinCar1_640x480.jpg

BossRBinCar2_640x480.jpg

Despite our aforementioned objective to keep full seat travel for both seats, we also want to fabricate bars that will meet owner's objectives. We recently completed a bar that includes a main-hoop diagonal in order to conform to roll bar rules of the Silver State Classic where this competition orange Boss is scheduled to compete. We not only achieved a great color match for the competition orange, but we managed to incorporate a diagonal brace that; 1) did NOT impact the driver's seat trave at all and; 2) only impacted passenger seat travel ~1.5". In the second picture below, you can see the passenger seat in the full-back horizontal travel position but this results in a seat-back position that is just a tad too upright. The solution is to place the passenger seat one or two clicks forward and then the seat-back angle can be "normal". This diagonal brace is now an option on all Cool Tech roll bars.

BossDiag1_640x480.jpg

Boss_Diag_SeatTravel_640x480.jpg

ChuckP said:
The Cool Tech system looks great. I like the fact they came up with a harness system that does not need a hole for sub belt. I may still switch to a race seat on driver's side though. Question on that: I know there is a sensor on the passenger seat to the activate the passenger side airbag (and probably seatbelt warning). Is there any similar sensor on the driver's side that I would have to deal with if I switch the seat? I don't see why you would need one because it's probably safe to assume there is a driver in the seat if the car is in motion! Thanks!
Chuck,

You'll deactivate the driver side SRS when you unplug your factory seat before removing it from the car. That includes the driver seat airbag obviously since it's gone and the steering wheel airbag. (Unplug your negative terminal on your battery for at least 10 minutes prior to disconnecting airbag connectors below seat). You will get a yellow light on the bottom of speedometer, but it's static with no tone. You will need to disable the "seat belt minder", otherwise you will get a flashing red light and dinging every few minutes. There is a procedure in the owner's manual to do this. It's a one-time process and it won't turn back on unless you perform the procedure to do so. Once you bolt your factory seat back in and reconnect the airbag connectors (disconnect battery first), the yellow light will go off on its own and the SRS system is active again.

Gary

If you lean back the driver seat, does the diagonal cross over the head or how much room is there? Personally my seat isn't that far back, but it would be good to know for tall people. It isn't usually an issue with roll bars since the seats can't go that far back, but that kink in the harness bar allows extra movement in yours.

If someone requested it, would you be able to add a diagonal in the back too? I'm not ready for a bar yet, just curious.

Some TT classes may not allow the attachment to the shock mounts.

Cloud9, the seat belt minder is on P. 141 of the 3rd edition iirc. Also, no airbag huh... so if I run a race seat I can run an aftermarket wheel.

CaliMR said:
Also, no airbag huh... so if I run a race seat I can run an aftermarket wheel.
A friend of mine is running a Sparco with quick release on his 5.0. He has a fixed Sparco seat so needs to remove the wheel to get in and out.

I have a Sparco with the NRG quick release in the track car, I love it. I would have one in every car I own if I could.

I've never installed one in a car with an airbag, does the bag come out with the wheel or is it a separate piece to pull? If I ever get serious about tracking this car, I am going to do it. I feel like I'm piloting the Niña with the stock wheel.

My first track car had a Momo from the factory, my second one had a 380mm skinny rim wheel. Changing to a fat elliptical 330mm made a huge difference, both in feel from the tires and reducing the over-boosted steering. The Boss has both numb and over boosted steering, so I imagine it would be as big an improvement. But I am not going to do it until it becomes my primary track car, in a few years. The quick release is also great for getting out in a tight garage.

If you lean back the driver seat, does the diagonal cross over the head or how much room is there? Personally my seat isn't that far back, but it would be good to know for tall people. It isn't usually an issue with roll bars since the seats can't go that far back, but that kink in the harness bar allows extra movement in yours.

The headrest of the seat is always forward of the diagonal - so it would not become a safety concern.

I know it is a highly debated topic that seems to be fueled by mostly opinion rather than fact, but what is your opinion on running a bar/partial cage like this without a fixed back seat. I typically think that most roll bar/half cages (full roll cages aren't safe without a helmet) are a no no in most street cars (even dual purpose cars) but your design looks to be safe. My only concern would be in the event of seat collapse typically caused by being rear ended at high speed. Basically, I want your bar, but can't make up my mind on the whole safety on the street aspect of any roll bar/cage in most cars.

You could use something like this, as required when your FIA seat is 5 years old

http://www.ioportracing.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=SBB15&Category_Code=IH

cloud9 said:
ChuckP said:
Chuck,

You'll deactivate the driver side SRS when you unplug your factory seat before removing it from the car. That includes the driver seat airbag obviously since it's gone and the steering wheel airbag. (Unplug your negative terminal on your battery for at least 10 minutes prior to disconnecting airbag connectors below seat). You will get a yellow light on the bottom of speedometer, but it's static with no tone. You will need to disable the "seat belt minder", otherwise you will get a flashing red light and dinging every few minutes. There is a procedure in the owner's manual to do this. It's a one-time process and it won't turn back on unless you perform the procedure to do so. Once you bolt your factory seat back in and reconnect the airbag connectors (disconnect battery first), the yellow light will go off on its own and the SRS system is active again.

Gary

Good info...thanks!

I know it is a highly debated topic that seems to be fueled by mostly opinion rather than fact, but what is your opinion on running a bar/partial cage like this without a fixed back seat. I typically think that most roll bar/half cages (full roll cages aren't safe without a helmet) are a no no in most street cars (even dual purpose cars) but your design looks to be safe. My only concern would be in the event of seat collapse typically caused by being rear ended at high speed. Basically, I want your bar, but can't make up my mind on the whole safety on the street aspect of any roll bar/cage in most cars.

Yes, likely many opinions... and I have one too.

My view is that the OEMS have done a terrific job with seat designs throughout the last decade. The last thing that Ford or any other OEM wants is a lawsuit because of a broken seat back in a scenario such as the one your described. Even still, I thing the arc that the seat back would follow would probably steerthe driver's head clear of the bar. Keep in mind that our bar is pretty tightly hugging the car's roofline so it would be an odd scenario to have a head impact with the bar, IMO.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel