The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Roll Cage for track

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I'm looking for information on Roll Cages that have been installed for track-driven 302's.
I won't be racing the LS, but want the structural and safety benefits of a real cage (rear portion, but not just hoop) Also harness bar.
I suppose this is what is sometimes referred to as a 3/4 cage?

Specifically, I am looking for a x-braced chromoly cage, with harness bar, bolt-in with welded sections (to the extent possible) since I do not want to totally remove the car's interior to perform the installation.
Removable side (door) braces are desired but not a requirement.

Must meet NASA specs for American Iron, i.e.: Nasa “recommends” 1.75 x .120 tubing (for mild steel). I have an inquiry in with NASA to see if they will allow .095 for ChroMo. Although I will not compete the car, I'd still like to be within spec "just in case...'

Here is some info from John Nguyen at Motorsports Marketing and Development:

Good Morning Lee,
We currently have available a 6 point chromoly cage that can be fitted with dual diagonal cross braces (x-brace). This would be a 6 point with both passenger and driver door bars which are completely removable in a couple of minutes for street driving. Actually, its the same cage that we will be doing for our S197. We have been contemplating whether to go with a single cross bar on the main hoop or the dual cross to make the X... I think we may go the full X route. These are super high quality cages built to the highest standards in the industry. They come in standard colors at now additional cost (black, red, white blue..no mixing required colors) or custom paint color matched for an additional 265. We also can get the cages hydro dipped in an endless array of coatings such as the ever popular carbon fiber look. This is 650 additional.

The cage is perfect for an HPDE/trackday car that is looking for added stiffness and protection while being also a nice peice of jewely at the shows. As for competitive NASA roadracing, again my only concern is the specs for certain classes. If you have a contact in NASA that can specify what is needed for door bars and any other requirements, we can most likely get it built to suite your needs.

Retail pricing is for chromoly:
1995$ 5 point
2345$ 6 point
175$ additional for 1 cross brace, 350$ for double cross X.
All Chromoly cages ship for free!

Let me know if you are interested in possible moving forward and we can discuss pricing for you. I'll make sure you are taken care of.

As for Alpine, I would love the opportunity to take a look at the layout. Just let me know if you have an open house coming up and I'll try to attend. Im assuming that all of the popular HPDE clubs such as PDX, PDA, porsche club, etc are booking and open to the public to run on the course? I wish I could say that id be interested in a private membership, but the HPDE club events are more within my budget ;).

John Nguyen
Motorsports Marketing and Development
www.trackspecmotorsports.com
1-888-755-5135

nota4re said:
lbp -

We are in process of creating a Lagina Seca roll bar and it will also fit other Mustangs equipped with a rear seat delete kit.

Here is a link to a preview of our roll bar. http://forums.themustangsource.com/f813/cool-tech-roll-bar-sneak-peek-502918/

If you intend to drive the car on the street (i.e, without a helmet) I would suggest that you pay careful attention to the main hoop and bar placement. Done incorrectly, even a monor accident could be deadly.

Good reminder about street-driven roll bar/cages. Thanks.
Do you think the tech inspection padding requirements of most orgs (nasa, scca) will provide adequate protection for a naked head?
Also, will your cage meet cert requirements for NASA or SCCA?
Can you tie in to the rear shock towers? - (OK, I see it!! - looks good.)
Is there a harness bar? (with apologies, - forgot to look before replying) - (OK, I see it!! - looks good.)
Will you offer ChroMo?
Thanks for posting.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
If you want something that will work with a daily driver and be safe at the track, I'd take a serious look at CoolTech's kit that Kendall describes above.

If you want a cage for competition driving, I would invest in the Rehagen Racing kit ($2850 + Freight). Rehagen Cage

Most importantly--MAKE SURE YOUR WELDER KNOWS WHAT HE IS DOING!!!

Our roll bar is intended for Boss owners who want to participate in Track Days and other local venues and where they want an extra margin of safety AND a secure harness mount. (Harness straps without a roll bar is a no-no!) For the very serious racer who wants to engage in wheel to wheel racing.... well, I think these guys should have purchased the great 302S! But, if you are intent on wheel to wheel venues and SCCA certification, then you will need a weld-in cage. In terms of construction materials and techniques - we are adhering to SCCA guidelines (DOM and wall thickness). Note: We will also offer an X-brace as an option. Regarding chromolly - our initial batch will be 1.75" DOM steel. Chromolly may be a future option. We are using a fabricator with significant experience in both materials.

nota4re said:
Our roll bar is intended for Boss owners who want to participate in Track Days and other local venues and where they want an extra margin of safety AND a secure harness mount. (Harness straps without a roll bar is a no-no!) For the very serious racer who wants to engage in wheel to wheel racing.... well, I think these guys should have purchased the great 302S! But, if you are intent on wheel to wheel venues and SCCA certification, then you will need a weld-in cage. In terms of construction materials and techniques - we are adhering to SCCA guidelines (DOM and wall thickness). Note: We will also offer an X-brace as an option. Regarding chromolly - our initial batch will be 1.75" DOM steel. Chromolly may be a future option. We are using a fabricator with significant experience in both materials.

Sounds good.
Where are you located?
When you are ready, I'd like to price out a 1.75 x .120 cage (in chromolly).
According to NASANE boltin is OK. (Actually my GT3RS has a Porsche Factory bolt-in cage)
On the other hand, my "built" race car does indeed have a fully welded & unitized cage (f/r connected via the rocker channels).
...Assumed we are discussing a unit that meets all other requirements for the vehicle's weight & class, (which in your case sounds correct per your comments).
However, my opinion would be that a track car will be exposed to similar situations whether driven in competition or just "simple" driver days.
As such, I am glad to hear your cage is being designed to meet these requirements.

IBP: The Cool Tech Roll Bar looks great and perfect for someone like myself who wouldn't have access to a welder. If possible could you PM me the pricing/information/and contact name/number so I may further research the idea of the product?

TMO Supporting Vendors