The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Roof rack for track tires?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I want to find a roof rack to carry a track tire or two now that I have the Watson racing roll bar and can't fit all four tires in the car when adding a passenger. I've seen this set-up on other types of cars but not a Mustang so I assume it would work. Does anyone have experience with this? The only roof rack I can find that doesn't require drilling and seems to fit our car is a Yakima that a guy on youtube installed for snowboards. So that's probably the one I will go with but I'm wondering if anyone has already done this.

Thanks

I have Yakima ski and bike roof racks are their products are well designed and last a long time. I'm sure their offerings for a Mustang will work well.

I'd go with an "autocross" type of trailer setup for much more flexibility, easier loading and more hauling capacity than a roof rack.

Blowfish Racing (a TMO sponsor) sells a slick S197-specific trailer hitch kit: https://www.blowfishracing.com/towing-hauling/111-2005-2014-mustang-secret-hitch-kit.html

And there are different examples of small utility trailers of the type sold at Tractor Supply or Northern Tool, modified to hold race tires and an equipment/tool box, such as this: http://www.wizco.net/MX5/Mods/autocross_trailer.htm

To me this would be a much better way to go, albeit at a somewhat higher monetary cost.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. I was planning to go that route but I decided to try to roof rack first as i really only need to figure out how to carry a tire ow two. Everything else fits in the car.

Once I do this and have a chance to test it I will report out how well it works.

Yup, putting 100 kilos on the roof does not sound so wise. Trailer gets added on the wish list.

The roof can support the weight of the car in a rollover, I wouldn't worry about tires on a rack except for a clumsy moment taking them off. A trailer would make me nervous if I had to back up given how short they are. Less time to correct a bad angle and they will be hard to see in the mirrors.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
You would likely need a different hitch. The Blowfish hitch is a Class I hitch rated at 200lbs tongue weight. Tongue weight being the weight applied at the tongue through a trailer with an axel on the ground. The carriers place more than 200 lbs. pressure when you consider the weight center is 1-2 feet from the hitch. Basically the weight and bouncing would likely twist a class one hitch.
I have put a class one hitch behind a Firebird and pulled several hundred pounds, no problem. Hanging the weight off the hitch, I would not recommend.

With the small trailer hooked to the blowfish hitch you would have the flexibility to attach a small toolbox or container to the trailer and leave it there until needed. With the platform all would have to be off loaded and the platform removed.

I finally bought and tested out the roof rack and it worked flawlessly. It's a Yakima product that I got at etrailer.com

https://www.etrailer.com/roof-2012_Ford_Mustang.htm

Installation was easy. I didn't take pics because there's already a youtube of a guy putting one on his Mustang. Setting up the rack for the first time takes maybe an hour if you are taking your time. Once it's set up, placing it on the roof takes 2 minutes. It is very sturdy and easily holds a couple of tires. I had no problem travelling at normal speeds - it wasn't even very noisy.

Overall, I am really glad with the quality of the product and the ease of transporting the track tires.
IMG_2301.JPGIMG_2303.JPGIMG_2306.JPG

Those Yakima clips look like they love to damage paint... Gotta be a better solution. There are many clips under the roof edge molding that could be used. I might have to design something myself...

EDIT: Nevermind, I see that for the Mustang it clips onto the plastic window trim. Still not sure if that is much better, though. I also pulled off the roof rain rails. Nothing there beefy enough to trust as an anchor point. Just two rivets and a plastic clip. You could always use some painters tape on the feet to protect the paint, but that clip on the plastic window trim seems sketchy for an anchor point. How does the trim look so far?

Last edited:

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel