The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Roof rattle

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OK, this is a strange one, but if anyone has experienced this I'd appreciate some direction in where to look for it. The last few days I've noticed a strange rattle/squeak that appears to be coming from the roof when going over bumps in the road. I tried holding my hand up on the interior and it seemed to mitigate it somewhat. For the life of me I can't figure out what it could be and it may have been going on for a while and I didn't notice. With the cooler weather I am driving with the windows up which I don't normally do. At first I thought it might be my roll bar, but if I held onto it while driving it didn't seem to have any effect. Any ideas on where to start looking? I'm not really fired up about pulling all the plastic trim apart to pull the roof covering out.

My rattle was a retainer clip that had backed out in the a pillar. It seemed like it was moving all over the car depending where I sat, sort of sounded like it was in the roof sometimes.

CaliMR said:
My rattle was a retainer clip that had backed out in the a pillar. It seemed like it was moving all over the car depending where I sat, sort of sounded like it was in the roof sometimes.
Was it in the B pillar or A pillar?

Mine was the A, but I'm sure there are the same pins in the B. They are just the push through winged type I think, the dealer was the one who eventually figured it out. It was weird, it sounded like the right side when I was driving but the left side when I was riding, and it also seemed like it could be the roof. It was also rpm dependent, mostly in the 2500-3500 iirc. Banging on the panels did not replicate the noise, which is why it was so hard to find.

CaliMR said:
My rattle was a retainer clip that had backed out in the a pillar.
I was thinking along the same lines. There is probably at least one small wiring harness up there held in by a pin or clip and it may have broken. I had some plastic clips break in my wifes car behind the dash and it made a bunch of noise.

CaliMR said:
Mine was the A, but I'm sure there are the same pins in the B. They are just the push through winged type I think, the dealer was the one who eventually figured it out. It was weird, it sounded like the right side when I was driving but the left side when I was riding, and it also seemed like it could be the roof. It was also rpm dependent, mostly in the 2500-3500 iirc. Banging on the panels did not replicate the noise, which is why it was so hard to find.
Thanks, you gave me a good place to look. I'm experiencing the same thing.....seems to move around...seems to be in the roof etc. Since I removed all my interior trim panels to put the roll bar in last year, there's a good chance one of them popped loose. I just hope one didn't break since I'd have to pull the roll bar out to replace the panel :mad: I'll start banging around on them today. I didn't remove any A pillar trim so I'm going to start with the B pillar and work backwards.

Banging didn't help with mine, unfortunately you can't drive around with someone in the back due to the bar. The tech who figured it out said he couldn't find it by listening but he had seen the same clip before so he just guessed and found it. He replaced the snap and put some tape over it to keep it from rattling. The tape seemed like a good solution.

CaliMR said:
Banging didn't help with mine, unfortunately you can't drive around with someone in the back due to the bar. The tech who figured it out said he couldn't find it by listening but he had seen the same clip before so he just guessed and found it. He replaced the snap and put some tape over it to keep it from rattling. The tape seemed like a good solution.
I found the trim piece above the passenger window was loose. I snapped back into place and am hoping that was it. It's misting out right now and I am busy putting the GT500 and Poonstang up for winter so will get it out and drive it later. Fingers crossed that was the problem.

CaliMR said:
Well it wasn't the trim piece. Was it the passenger side or driver side? Is it a clip holding a wiring harness? Do the A pillar covers just pull off like most of the other interior trim pieces? Thanks for any help.

I'm not sure, the dealer did it. I think it was a pin that holds the trim on. Mine was passenger A pillar but I think any of them might do it.

Well I pulled both A pillar trims off but didn't see anything loose. I refastened them both so hopefully one of tabs wasn't all the way seated. I won't have a chance to drive it until later in the week since it's only 25 out right now and flurries tomorrow morning.

TMO Supporting Vendors