The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

  • Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Rotating R6s (Square Setup)

Have several HPDEs coming up. Will be runing a square setup of 295/40-18 Hoosier R6s. Wondering about tire rotation to maximize longevity. I know that after a certain number of heat cycles the tires will be "gone". But with most of the weight and wear likely to occur on the fronts, what about rotating to eke out a bit more tread life?Thanks!
 
I have the exact same setup and tires.

The guys at Hoosier said rotation will extend the life but also dismounting and flipping the tires before rotating. I assume rotating in a cross/front-rear pattern with dismount and flip provides the longest lifespan.
Not sure if I'm up for all that work considering they will only last 12-16 sessions.
 
Thanks guys. Other than just moving backs to front/fronts to back, yeah, seems like a lot of extra effort (and cost) just to gain a few extra sessions out of a set. S'pose if you're buying a crap load of tires ever season and really using them up, it would add up and make sense. For the more casual track guy like me, probably not worth the trouble.
 

JScheier

Too Hot for the Boss!
dabossinne said:
Thanks guys. Other than just moving backs to front/fronts to back, yeah, seems like a lot of extra effort (and cost) just to gain a few extra sessions out of a set.

Also, look at your track facility. If it's a clockwise track, the left side will usually wear faster, likewise the right will wear faster if it is a CCW track.

If the track is an even mix and the tires are wearing evenly, I'll move the front to back. If one side is wearing more (lets say left), then I go front to back and switch sides. I've rarely had tires last long enough on this car to flip on the rim. Used to do it on the M3 (much lighter car)... but haven't done it on the boss yet.
 
ArizonaGT said:
Well, at $1400/set, I try to get my money's worth out of them. Typically they last two weekends tops if I flip them after the first weekend.

At full price, yes, you are right. Only bought these 'cause they were closeouts on sale for $120 each. When they wear out I'll probably go to BFG rivals, or buy used Conti slicks.
 

JScheier

Too Hot for the Boss!
dabossinne said:
At full price, yes, you are right. Only bought these 'cause they were closeouts on sale for $120 each.

True-dat... I want mine to last for COTA in June though... so I'll scrub them in next weekend at Pueblo and then bag them :)

After that I'll be back on hoopty take-offs :)
 
DGRacing said:
The guys at Hoosier said rotation will extend the life but also dismounting and flipping the tires before rotating.

That is interesting to hear, I almost always flip the Conti take-offs when I get them. They are suppose to be close to the R6 compound. I have wondered if this was a good idea, thought maybe the tires wear in rotating one direction.
 
dabossinne said:
Have several HPDEs coming up. Will be runing a square setup of 295/40-18 Hoosier R6s. Wondering about tire rotation to maximize longevity. I know that after a certain number of heat cycles the tires will be "gone". But with most of the weight and wear likely to occur on the fronts, what about rotating to eke out a bit more tread life?Thanks!

I'm curious, do you need spacers for your fronts on that tire size, and what is your wheel offset?
 
YellowBoss said:
That is interesting to hear, I almost always flip the Conti take-offs when I get them. They are suppose to be close to the R6 compound. I have wondered if this was a good idea, thought maybe the tires wear in rotating one direction.
Not directional and I usually have them mounted with the outside in depending on the camber of the car they were on first ;D
 
JScheier said:
True-dat... I want mine to last for COTA in June though... so I'll scrub them in next weekend at Pueblo and then bag them :)

After that I'll be back on hoopty take-offs :)
You're making me feel like a cheapskate as that's all I'm brining up to BIR next weekend for 3 days ::) 3 sets too many ???
 
cloud9 said:
Not directional and I usually have them mounted with the outside in depending on the camber of the car they were on first ;D

I understand they are not directional but was unsure if they wore different rotating one way to start with. I will put them painted side out depending where the came from running at Daytona, I tend to get inside wear there, at least on the rear tires. Otherwise I flip them for a place like Sebring where I wear the outsides more. With that said, once you get the pressure correct they do wear pretty evenly across.
 
3,683
3,573
We used to cross them ("X" them) every heat cycle as long as the same setup was used front and rear. "Flipping" them, on the rim will also extend their life substantially. Just for sport measure the circumference of the tires, generally Hoosier is right on but every once in awhile one will be about 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch off. The NASCAR guys try to buy their tires in bunches and keep like tires together, we're not allowed to do that..you get what you get, but if you happen to buy several sets at a time it might pay to measure them up..(and keep like tires together) just to be sure your "square" setup is really "square".
 

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
5,593
4,123
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
John,

I liked your Hoopty tires so much I just recently decided to change them off your Hoopty rims you sold me. I have new Hoopties on and they are wearing quite well ---- thanks for your cheapskate advice, it is actually quite valuable!
 

TMO Supporting Vendors

Top