The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Rotor and pad upgrade for DD and occasional track/autoX days

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hello everyone, I know its probably been a subject thats been beaten to death and apologize in advance but i've only seen rotor/pad setups for full on track cars. I DD my Boss pretty much everywhere, 10-15000 mi a year and with my new turbo setup im looking for something that will have a little more bite than the OE setup. In the near future i'd like to do some track days and autoX and would like a decent setup but don't know what rotors/pads to go with for DD'ing. Thank you in advance for your help :D

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Texas
You might be fine with the OEM Brembo pads if you add the cooling ducts. If not the Hawk HP+ pads aren't bad for DD and occasional track use. Go to DOT4 fluid also regardless of the ducts and pads. Motul makes some good DOT4 fluid as well as a few other manufacturers. Good luck

The fluid is a must ...

Endless RF-650 is the best fluid I have used hands down, street / track. No fade with it.

http://www.endless-brake.info/index.php/products/brake-fluid

If you haven't already, a set of stainless steel brake lines will be helpful.

Brake cooling ducts go a long ways with street pads on the track.

Upgrade to some nice aftermarket pads, possibly save some money over Brembo pads.

Hawk has 2 choices ...

If you really want to stay mostly with a street pad and only the occasional track day, their Street 5.0 compound is good (it's my current street pad front and rear)

They also have a "street+Track" compound (new introduction, slots in same place as HP+ in the lineup) that's more aggressive, but you will get noise and brake dust with it. If you primarily are driving on the street, it might be too much for you (an annoyance)

Swapping the front pads is easy, start with the Hawk 5.0 Compound (replacement compound for the former HPS, which is what I ran for several events) but you'll burn through the pads on the track, if you start to do more track days, get a second set of dedicated track pads and swap them before events (for the front wheels only).

This tool makes it super easy (look for this tool on this page):

brake%20tool%20FT%209000.jpg

http://fulltiltboogieracing.com/2011-2014_Mustang_GT_with_Brembo_Brake_Parts.htm

Rotors ... there are lots of choices.

I have been using DBA rotors front and rear (with 13" rear brake conversion)

http://www.steeda.com/dba-t3-mustang-rotor-602-dba42124sr/

Just stay away from drilled rotors, slotted are okay, but nothing cross drilled. Those will crack on the track.

DBA rotors are great.
Shop at KNS they are cheaper and have all you need for brakes.
http://www.knsbrakes.com/c/car-series/337_2012+Ford+Mustang+Boss+302/264_DBA+T3+ClubSpec+4000+Series+Slotted+Rotor+-+Single+Rotor

Lots of great rotor options including stock. I've used Stoptech/Powerslot rotors and DBA. No difference IMO so go with the least expensive. For pads I've used Hawk HP+ and they worked fine on track for a couple of days a year but they squealed like a pig on the street. I use Pagid RS29 F and RS56 R and like them a lot. They are not the most aggressive pad for track but that works better on the street. I run them on the street as well and mine don't squeal. For me they are perfect solution as I don't want to swap pads/rotors at every track day. Some have had issues with pad deposits but I haven't. You need to bed them in well especially with new rotors. Track Day Solutions sells Pagid.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Texas
VooDooBOSS said:
Lots of great rotor options including stock. I've used Stoptech/Powerslot rotors and DBA. No difference IMO so go with the least expensive. For pads I've used Hawk HP+ and they worked fine on track for a couple of days a year but they squealed like a pig on the street. I use Pagid RS29 F and RS56 R and like them a lot. They are not the most aggressive pad for track but that works better on the street. I run them on the street as well and mine don't squeal. For me they are perfect solution as I don't want to swap pads/rotors at every track day. Some have had issues with pad deposits but I haven't. You need to bed them in well especially with new rotors. Track Day Solutions sells Pagid.

I agree with Rick on the rotors...I have used expensive rotors and I have used the stock blanks and neither lasted longer than the other. Go with the cheapest option available because you will go through rotors fast if you start tracking your car. I get my rotors from CJ Pony when they run their $50 sale...yes, only $50 per front and rear rotor. Essentially you are getting all four rotors for the cost of one stop tech rotor, you do the math :)

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
Adam is correct. Super expensive rotors don't make the car stop any better. For use with stock calipers, Ford replacements are just fine and some of the aftermarket replacements like Centric are good too. OEM Ford rotors are tough and the mass helps to act as a heat sink to resist overheating. With proper DOT 4 brake fluid, race pads, and cooling ducts you will have a well performing brake system. Not the best it can be, but $3-5000 less than the next best upgrade step.

TMO Supporting Vendors