The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Rough shifts after springs install

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hey guys, I installed Hotchkis springs over the weekend and I gotta say I love the look of the car now. Today was the first day of actual driving, and im noticing that 1-2-3 shifts are rough. I know the same springs drop the GT far more but I thought they would make very subtle differences on the Boss. Is it possible that the driveshaft orientation has changed enough to cause this? I could be just dreaming this up, but I thought I'd share anyway as I know many ppl have lowered their car. I am still using the factory d/s, shifter, and factory trans oil. I will be switching to a 1 piece this weekend with an MGW shifter and BG SSII oil. I wonder if it's worth grabbing and adj upper control arm to reset the pinion angle? Just seems excessive for only a 1.5 inch drop. I can definitely tell that the lower control arms are not parallel with the ground anymore, and I already have cortex arms waiting with relo brkts. Thanks in advance for your input!

Get a DSS driveshaft and you wont need the uca. If you want an upper anyway, I suggest a Metco 2010 arm w/ a Metco 2011+ mount. Expensive, but quiet.

Thanks for the response.

I already have a dynotech drive shaft, so I guess I will have to look into a UCA if the rough drive continues.

I had a dynotech w/ my hotchkis springs for about a month, w/o a adjustable UCA. Drove great and quiet. But I already had the DSS and Metco uca, so I installed them. Rides great and quiet as well.

If you do the UCA, make sure you have the car on ramps or drive-on lift to measure your angles.

TMO Supporting Vendors