The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Roughy initial startup

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I started my 2012 CO Boss this morning and it idled very low, sounded like it had a HUGE cam, and emitted a horrible odor from the exhaust. I shut it down, restarted and everything seemed good to go. Has anyone ever experienced this. The car is completely stock except for a drop in K&N.

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
Oil from the K&N filter can contaminate the MAF sensor which can mess with the air fuel mixture. If you just installed it or just cleaned and recoiled it, let it sit with paper towels pressed on each side for a few hours to soak up excess oil.
If this isn't the case check the MAF sensor connector for looseness and also the coil wire connectors under the cam covers. An intermittent contact can cause misfires.
Steve

BOSS #2968 said:
I started my 2012 CO Boss this morning and it idled very low, sounded like it had a HUGE cam, and emitted a horrible odor from the exhaust. I shut it down, restarted and everything seemed good to go. Has anyone ever experienced this. The car is completely stock except for a drop in K&N.
It happened to me a couple times but it's been a while and hasn't done it lately. There are other threads on this phenomenon if you do a search. Did you get the white cloud with it? You're not the first, but it seems to be a rare random issue.

**edit** I did a quick search for you and found these two:

https://trackmustangsonline.com/index.php?topic=4046.msg63047#msg63047

https://trackmustangsonline.com/index.php?topic=3725.msg58106#msg58106

This was with the regular key. The filter is somewhat new, a couple of months old. Yes, I got the white cloud and it smelled horrible.

Personally, I think I turned the key to start and my foot wasn't in all the way on the clutch, it stopped the starter, then I immediately tried to start it again and this somehow caused it to happen. It was loping REALLY good for a second or two though.

jneary

Performance Fords
Norcal
I do the same foot not all the way on the clutch and have to try again and have never had it smoke and run rough. I have, however, started it and had it run rough a few times. A couple stabs of the throttle cleared it up though.

John

TMO Supporting Vendors