The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Roush hood strut question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bay Area
Anyone have or know the tech specs on the Roush hood struts? I contacted Roush and they told me this

Extension Force: 585 ± 20 Newtons
Compression Force: 1000 N

When I did a lbs conversion of 585 N. I got two answers one was 2602.20 lbs force and the other was 131.5 lbs force.

1000 N=4448.22 and 224 lbs force.
This was from the engineer at Roush.

So my simple question. Anyone know which stunts to buy at Napa, Amazon, etc. They all come in lbs but range from 10-50 lbs ad so on.

Thanks in advance

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
If you think about the static weight of the hood alone, sure, since the hood only weighs 25 or 30 lbs.

But then you have to think about the location of the strut's applied force (the attachment point is at the rear 1/3 of the hood) and leverage and the fact that you want the hood to open sometime this century :)

Bay Area
ArizonaBOSS said:
If you think about the static weight of the hood alone, sure, since the hood only weighs 25 or 30 lbs.

But then you have to think about the location of the strut's applied force (the attachment point is at the rear 1/3 of the hood) and leverage and the fact that you want the hood to open sometime this century :)

Good point. Thanks for the info.

TMO Supporting Vendors