The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Roush Side Splitters - Part #420092

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
Install was a piece of cake, all parts lined up perfectly. I used 3M adhesive remover to clean up the OEM rocker panels before installing. Not too many tips I can give but here goes:

I found that this angled needle nose plier was perfect for taking out the original fasteners. The angled end made it easy to get behind the head of the fastener. From there it's just grab and pull.
2011-12-23_12-47-17_881.jpg
2011-12-23_12-45-49_203.jpg

I taped down the adhesive plastic protective tape with scotch tape so it was easy to just grab and pull when you're ready to. Make sure NOT to make too tight of a fit with the 8 initial fasteners before you take off the red protective tape, it may tear. I had one tear but was able to easily get it off using an Exacto knife blade to start to peel the remaing piece.
2011-12-23_12-25-29_987.jpg

Drilling the 5 additional holes is simple. Don't let Roush's recommendation of marking the bit at a 1" depth fool you, you just need to get though 1/8" of plastic (the original rocker panel). Thanks to Rick 5 DOT 0 for clarification on this one. I started at the front and and made sure that was lined up. In my install there was not much wiggle room for alignment but none was really needed.
2011-12-23_13-07-48_140.jpg

All Done - maybe an hour in total.
2011-12-23_13-39-12_382.jpg
2011-12-23_13-39-02_461.jpg

Looking good. I see you now have the Ford Racing banner on your windshield, nice.

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
We'll see how nice in the first track day in the rain ;D The wipers just clip it in the middle and on the drivers side.

I got mine yesterday and plan on installing tomorrow. Because I know a lot of you guys are weight conscious, I weighted them. The total weight for both side splitters and mounting pins comes to a whopping 3.5lbs.

5 DOT 0 said:
808Boss said:
Looks great Guys! Thanks for the photo write up Pete..
Are you going to put in a LS front splitter Rick?
Nope. After seeing the damage it can cause if you venture off track I'll stick with the street splitter. I'm not going fast enough for it to matter anyway. :D

P1020697.jpg

Are you really going to post a pic like that with no info?

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Side splitters look cool but no functional value so I'll spend the $100 elsewhere.

And: If you don't go off every now and then, you're not pushing hard enough.

TMO Supporting Vendors