The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Roush Stage II Installation

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
So CA
Figured I'd post this here also for track focus.

Guys, I know this has been discussed at length before, but I really need inputs on any CURRENT issues with the package and related problems having this installed directly at a local authorized Ford dealer I know. Again, this is the complete Stage II 750hp, plus very important (for me) to keep factory warranties PLUS having an authorized Ford dealer install the package; might keep better value in the long run. The $10.5K estimate is reasonable I'd say for this CARB legal upgrade with that claimed hp boost.

So, any current headaches with other components impacted - cooling, electronics, etc etc - and overall maintenance? I'm using my 2019 PP2 75% for track use. I've done baseline times at Auto Club Speedway Roval just this weekend. Definitely need more low-mid range power coming out of corners, this car is way heavier than my prev E46 M3, I can feel the weight on exit speeds.

I should mention that I'm not considering any sanctioned (NASA, SCCA) rules for this, just for higher level group HPDE which I've been running in.
Thanks for any inputs.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
25 min. to 1½ hrs. from Sonoma (ugh... traffic!)
↑↑↑↑↑
THIS!

Engine cooling, oil cooling, transmission cooling, differential cooling...

And the intercooler system Roush provides with the kit CANNOT keep up with anything close to 20min. of repeated WOT corner exits, it's OK for a few intermittent blasts on the street but needs time to recover or will be heat soaked and puling timing/power quickly.

I'm in the process of my 3rd round of upgrades in the hopes of being able to control heat and maintain power for my street/HPDE Roush setup

Last edited:
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
So CA
↑↑↑↑↑
THIS!

Engine cooling, oil cooling, transmission cooling, differential cooling...

And the intercooler system Roush provides with the kit CANNOT keep up with anything close to 20min. of repeated WOT corner exits, it's OK for a few intermittent blasts on the street but needs time to recover or will be heat soaked and puling timing/power quickly.

I'm in the process of my 3rd round of upgrades in the hopes of being able to control heat and maintain power for my street/HPDE Roush setup

Does it make any difference on the Gen 3 2018+ motor though? Anybody else with experience on typical 4x20min session HPDE? Heatsoak is one issue I don’t want to deal with if this is limiting.

Does it make any difference on the Gen 3 2018+ motor though? Anybody else with experience on typical 4x20min session HPDE? Heatsoak is one issue I don’t want to deal with if this is limiting.

I’m no expert on boosted coyotes but I suspect it will actually be worse on a Gen3. It makes more power stock and with boost than prior generations, and power = heat in this case.

It all depends on your pace but consider that quick drivers in stockish power S550’s need triple pass radiators, 40-60 row oil coolers, diff coolers and realistically prob trans coolers too. At 750hp you’re putting prob 2x as much waste heat into each of those symptoms.

Not trying to be a Debbie downer, It can be done though. Look at the GT500. I would just set aside some real money and time for cooling and be willing to make irreversible changes. Or shake out the piggy bank and see if you can swing a GT500?

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
Blowers work good on a 1/4 mile. On a road course doing 20-30 minute sessions, not so much.
As was mentioned, even stock N/A cars need extra cooling for road course work, heat soak is probably the biggest problem we see when these cars are pushed. A blower motor is going to be very difficult to manage for heat. Simply put, more power = more heat, and stock cooling is already barely adequate at stock power levels on a road course.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
So CA
I’m no expert on boosted coyotes but I suspect it will actually be worse on a Gen3. It makes more power stock and with boost than prior generations, and power = heat in this case.

It all depends on your pace but consider that quick drivers in stockish power S550’s need triple pass radiators, 40-60 row oil coolers, diff coolers and realistically prob trans coolers too. At 750hp you’re putting prob 2x as much waste heat into each of those symptoms.

Not trying to be a Debbie downer, It can be done though. Look at the GT500. I would just set aside some real money and time for cooling and be willing to make irreversible changes. Or shake out the piggy bank and see if you can swing a GT500?
Blowers work good on a 1/4 mile. On a road course doing 20-30 minute sessions, not so much.
As was mentioned, even stock N/A cars need extra cooling for road course work, heat soak is probably the biggest problem we see when these cars are pushed. A blower motor is going to be very difficult to manage for heat. Simply put, more power = more heat, and stock cooling is already barely adequate at stock power levels on a road course.

Good points, most positive reviews are from the quarter mile crowd, haven't seen any otherwise. We do lots of WOT on road courses, this is what I'm afraid of, cooling and heat soak issues. The Stage II does come with a larger radiator, plus I'm installing a diff cooler soon. Just not sure if those will be enough. If anybody else here has experience with it first hand and cooling issues addressed let's hear it.

The package as installed with warranty is tuned conservatively, if that says anything.

ChrisM

Mostly harmless.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
South Carolina
Consider a build thread so we can see what else is done to the car. A blower is probably the last thing you want to spend money on because you will continue to spend money on it chasing cooling issues until it's not fun anymore. I can pretty much guarantee that power is not the problem considering what people are able to do with these platforms, even as far back as older S197s.

Agree on all the replies. I went so far as to upgrade to S197 Brembos and get 18 X 10 wheels with 305 NT01's.
I was just going to mess around with it on a road course a couple times. (I trap 130 in the 1/4 on a 14 GT auto)

That was until I started really looking into how much cooling I would have to upgrade too, including cutting up the front of
the car for a monstrous trans cooler (since I'm auto). Fitting huge trans cooler, blower cooler, oil cooler, and brake ducts
(and probably a diff cooler) for that kind of power seemed daunting.

Also, have you driven a 700 Hp Stang? It's not that hard to blow off the rear tires on the street at ridiculous speeds.
And that's not even close to being at max traction on the tires through a corner, and then gingerly trying to put down that
kind of power at the same time.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
25 min. to 1½ hrs. from Sonoma (ugh... traffic!)
Consider what you want to do with the car. If you want time on the street and track, be prepared to make some compromises and allow plenty of additional budget for track capable mods. It's nice that the Roush kit has CARB legal status (why I went with it), but for track use everything intercooler-related in the kit needs upgrading. Serious coolant flow is necessary and this means larger plumbing throughout, with the pump, heat exchanger and intercooler to get it done. It sounds like you want Dealer installation w/warranty and what you'll really need is a customized installation. I hope to be posting a build thread soon for quite a few mods that I'm nearing completion of, seeking more reliable supercharged track and street capabilities.

If primarily for track use, a supercharger brings a lot of complications to the table, arguably more so than benefits.
There's no escaping the fact that you'll be adding over 80 lbs. of high and/or forward weight to an already nose heavy car.

TMO Supporting Vendors