The Mustang Forum for Track Enthusiasts

Track Mustangs Online was built specifically for those who track their Mustangs!

Register Log in

Roush vs Boss 302s grill for cooling - upper, lower, or both

Duane Black

TMO Race
Reaction score
All these days of quarantine mean i have to get my track fix on the summer when its hot! So i might as well get some cooling in while i cant do anything else.

Is the Roush high flow grill worth it or snake oil? Is the Boss 302s grill just as good?

Do i want the upper or lower Roush if im pinching pennies, or do i really need both?

Any experience appreciated!

Last edited:

Spencer Terry

TMO Advanced
Reaction score
I’ve run both... both caused my stock hood to flutter like crazy over 120... once I get some hood vents, problem solved. I believe both flow a lot of air (302s v roush bar style grille). I believe it comes down to preferred look. I read somewhere the bar grill design actually flows slightly more.
No idea for the lower (my cars are all 2011-2012 years).

Duane Black

TMO Race
Reaction score
I’ve run both... both caused my stock hood to flutter like crazy over 120... once I get some hood vents, problem solved. I believe both flow a lot of air (302s v roush bar style grille). I believe it comes down to preferred look. I read somewhere the bar grill design actually flows slightly more.
No idea for the lower (my cars are all 2011-2012 years).

Glad to hear from someone who has used both! I have a 2014 GT hood with the vents, so that should help immensely.

Spencer Terry

TMO Advanced
Reaction score
Duane, in addition to the vents, the 13-14 has the advantage of having the front edge of the hood shrouded by the bumper. This helps to reduce any flutter.
I legit thought I was going to lose my hood before venting it. 140+ it became laughable!
Didn’t realize that on the 13+ cars. Explains why we never see it on the 13 GT.

TMO Supporting Vendors