The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Roush vs Boss 302s grill for cooling - upper, lower, or both

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Duane Black

Curbs go brrrppp
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Durham, NC
All these days of quarantine mean i have to get my track fix on the summer when its hot! So i might as well get some cooling in while i cant do anything else.

Is the Roush high flow grill worth it or snake oil? Is the Boss 302s grill just as good?

Do i want the upper or lower Roush if im pinching pennies, or do i really need both?

Any experience appreciated!

Last edited:
I’ve run both... both caused my stock hood to flutter like crazy over 120... once I get some hood vents, problem solved. I believe both flow a lot of air (302s v roush bar style grille). I believe it comes down to preferred look. I read somewhere the bar grill design actually flows slightly more.
No idea for the lower (my cars are all 2011-2012 years).

Duane Black

Curbs go brrrppp
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Durham, NC
I’ve run both... both caused my stock hood to flutter like crazy over 120... once I get some hood vents, problem solved. I believe both flow a lot of air (302s v roush bar style grille). I believe it comes down to preferred look. I read somewhere the bar grill design actually flows slightly more.
No idea for the lower (my cars are all 2011-2012 years).

Glad to hear from someone who has used both! I have a 2014 GT hood with the vents, so that should help immensely.

TymeSlayer

Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
I don't think there's any question that the Roush style grill has better air flow. How much I don't know. I don't notice much hood flutter but I'm only running HPDE 2.

Duane, in addition to the vents, the 13-14 has the advantage of having the front edge of the hood shrouded by the bumper. This helps to reduce any flutter.
I legit thought I was going to lose my hood before venting it. 140+ it became laughable!
Didn’t realize that on the 13+ cars. Explains why we never see it on the 13 GT.

@ArizonaBOSS confirmed the bar grilles flow more air. I ran the CJ/CS grille on mine and never had any overheating problems in even 100+ degree temps at sea level.

TMO Supporting Vendors