The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Routing Brake Cooling Ducts - READ EVEN IF YOU ALREADY INSTALLED THEM!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

So, I got an email from a customer, asking to get clarification on where to run the duct, since my instructions don't really cover this. For that matter, neither does the FRPP instructions. I snapped of some pics of my routing since its still up off the ground with the wheels off. I noticed that I ran my hose below the scalloped area of the wheel well liner. It dawned on me that many people have probably placed the hose there, thinking it was where Ford intended. Ford may or may not have intended this, but placing it there is not the best spot. I then recalled all sorts of emails and forum posts about having to space out the washer tank and turn the horn 180, none of which I had to do! Then all the posts of tires rubbing holes in the ducting...again, never had this issue!

Well, I will show you all how to route the duct to prevent rubbing and overcomplicating the install. The pictures speak for themselves, so I will just post them and you can see where to route the duct and show you how it gets by the horn and washer tank without modification or relocation. ENJOY!

DRIVER SIDE:
DShoserouting-1_zps17a3e9ab.jpg
DShoserouting-2_zpsbeed3cd3.jpg
DShoserouting-3_zps19bf78ae.jpg

PASSENGER SIDE:
PShoserouting-1_zpsd7ba0323.jpg
PShoserouting-2_zps4b573787.jpg
PShoserouting-3_zps8ff33fa6.jpg
PShoserouting-4_zps8886000e.jpg

Thanks, great info. I have the Ford Racing kit but haven't yet attempted to install mine yet. Did you need to shorten the length of the cooling hoses at all, or to cut or remove any of the plastic wheel well liners?

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland
I didn't use ford racing's kit, so i can't say whether the hoses need to be cut down, but i would guess not, since they are able to collapse. and, yes, the liner does need to be trimmed. i can't say how much, as i did it 2 years ago, but i don't believe it was very much.

dmichaels

Papa Smurf
CT
Good info, I have mine routed almost identically. Actually just reworked the routing 2 weeks ago during a track event... Still have some bends that are tighter than I would like. Thanks for the info

Bossman2012 said:
Thanks, great info. I have the Ford Racing kit but haven't yet attempted to install mine yet. Did you need to shorten the length of the cooling hoses at all, or to cut or remove any of the plastic wheel well liners?

I've installed two FR Kits. Do not cut the hoses, all the length is needed. It may appear at first they are too long, but you'll soon realize all the length is needed to prevent rubbing. As already shown the lower the hoses are on the sway bar the less chance of rubbing issues.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel