The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Royal Purple

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Texas
I am in the military stationed in Germany so I have limited access to certain products. I would like to change the transmission and diff fluid in my Boss. I have access to Royal Purple and I am curious if anyone has used them before. I use their motor oil in my truck and I know they make a good product. If anyone has used Royal Purple in their Boss feedback would be appreciated. I tried to get Redline shipped out here but couldn't find a distributor that would ship it to my APO address. Thanks

PS...I have used Castro 5W50 in my Boss for the last two oil changes. First time using Castro products for me but I change the oil every time I go to the track. The car has never consumed any oil to date.

ace72ace

Zaino, I put that $hit on everything
Check out some of the threads in this forum, lots of good info here. I posted about better oil than Motorcraft for the Boss as well.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/greasy-spoon-418/

I was surprised that the Motorcraft synthetic 5w-50 is made in Korea, and has such poor performance compared to the premium brands like Royal Purple and Amsoil.

I really hope I get a free oil change out of my dealer when I pick up my Boss because I would like to dump the factory fill between 750-1000 miles, then 'flush it' with another fill of Motorcraft. I will dump it at 1500 and change to Amsoil and get my own lab analysis report. If it's true that the Ford oil starts to shear down to a 40 grade after only 2000 miles, it will be all the confirmation I need to switch to a high quality premium brand *full* synthetic.

Just an opinion, so YMMV...

I have been warned off of Royal Purple by a couple of race engine builders I have known over the years. Both told me they sludge up over time quite badly - something about the graphite content in their oils. In any case, I've never used it again, based on their recommendations. I do suppose you could look into that further.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
Summit Racing wont mail you stuff? I would go with REDLINE MTL in the trans and I have used RP in other mustangs rear diff with no issues.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Texas
What about using the Royal Purple in the tranny and diff? On base they only sell the Royal Purple so it would be a lot easier to go that route. Anyone that has used Royal Purple in their tranny or diff, your feedback would be appreciated.

Flyboygsxr said:
What about using the Royal Purple in the tranny and diff? On base they only sell the Royal Purple so it would be a lot easier to go that route. Anyone that has used Royal Purple in their tranny or diff, your feedback would be appreciated.
I would really look at Amsoil as well. I was able to get it shipped to an APO. Plus if you are a preferred customer or know someone that is, it's like 25%(ish) off. I use their engine oil and their transmission fluid. I highly recommend both. Just my opinion, though.

ace72ace

Yeah you can get a trial membership for very good discount, makes it worth while. The Amsoil filters are also among the best you can buy anywhere.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Texas
Thanks for the input on Amsoil...I have always liked their products. If I call them will they know what fluids I need for my car? What specific weights are you guys using? Also, if anyone else has any feedback on the Royal Purple that would be appreciated. Thanks

ace72ace

Yes, U=Boss. I'm pretty sure some vendors are using that as our VIN #'s all have CU for Boss, and in the order guide Ford has option code 99U for the option code for the engine. Here's a link to the order guide where you can download the pdf.

http://forums.themustangsource.com/f726/2013-mustang-order-guides-including-gt500-price-lists-502974/

If you read my post on the svtforum about what oil for the Boss, you will see that we were discussing Amsoil 10-40. Yes, I know that the spec is for Motorcraft 5w-50, there's been a ton of debate on the topic of deviating from the listed spec. I'm leaning toward trying the 10-40 based on the lab analysis showing how the Motorcraft oil quickly shears down to a 40 weight, as well as various other factors. Royal Purple is also highly regarded, so I'm not 'pushing' Amsoil over RP, so if you have access to RP, it might be worth it.

Have you considered joining the svtforum and posting this question there? There are couple of really good guys there that have detailed information on both Amsoil and RP products. I joined for precisely this reason. Better to get the info straight from the source instead of 2nd hand through me. Just a thought.

We're using Royal Purple 75w-140 in several of the Boss 302 track cars that we have prepped and we like it a lot. We plan to keep using it based on good results.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Texas
CoolTechLLC said:
We're using Royal Purple 75w-140 in several of the Boss 302 track cars that we have prepped and we like it a lot. We plan to keep using it based on good results.

What about in the tranny? What are you using?

We used to use RP for all of our builds
Switched to amsoil once RP changed the base
Stock that thy used in there normal oils
Started using a lesser grade from the info we got

Thy continued to use the higher grade base
Stock in the full race formulas they sell

Again. This is the information i got

I am a die hard amsoil or mobile 1 guy myself

Steve

Haven't changed any tranny fluid yet, sorry. Probably would go with RP when the time comes based on our positive (i.e. uneventful) use of RP in the diffs.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Texas
CoolTechLLC said:

Haven't changed any tranny fluid yet, sorry. Probably would go with RP when the time comes based on our positive (i.e. uneventful) use of RP in the diffs.

Ok, that is good enough for me. I am going to give Royal Purple a shot.

Ok, ive read through this post with interest and have a numpty question as my Boss arrives next week

What are "your" recommendations for when to change the engine oil ( im thinking every track day right?)

What are your (not fords) recommendations for oil (brands and sw numbers please) for:-

Engine

Gearbox

Diff ( Helical option)

thanks guys

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Texas
big red one said:
Ok, ive read through this post with interest and have a numpty question as my Boss arrives next week

What are "your" recommendations for when to change the engine oil ( im thinking every track day right?)

What are your (not fords) recommendations for oil (brands and sw numbers please) for:-

Engine

Gearbox

Diff ( Helical option)

thanks guys

Well, the only motorcraft that was ever in my Boss was the oil that came in the car from the factory. A lot of Boss owners have had issues with burning oil. I am not saying that it has everything to do with motorcraft oil but I have never used a drop in mine since I did the first oil change at 400 miles and I have never had any issues with oil consumption. I am hesitant to use the motorcraft oil, not that it is a bad oil but there are better options out there. Redline, Mobil 1, and Castro all make a 5W50 oil that can be used in the Boss. Some members are using Amsoil or Royal Purple and have had no issues. I have less than 3000 miles on my Boss and have done 4 oil changes. I have had my car at the track twice and changed the oil after each event. I check the oil at the beginning of the day and at the end and it was exactly where it started. Do some research on proper engine break-in procedures. You will find a lot of different techniques but do your research and it will educate you on how to break in your Boss properly. This will play a big factor in the health and life of the engine. As for the tranny and diff...I am going to go with Royal Purple because that is what I have available to me here in Germany and they make a good product. MAX GEAR 75W-140 for the diff and SYNCHROMAX – MANUAL TRANSMISSION FLUID for the tranny.

http://royalpurpleconsumer.com/product-categories/automotive/#!royal-purple-motor-oil

Good luck

TMO Supporting Vendors