The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

RPM in town driving

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

98RedGT

2012 #552
I have a 98 GT that I usually keep around 2K RPM for in town driving. My Boss 302 has not arrived yet. But I am curious as to what RPM are you keeping the Boss at, for driving around town?

JScheier

Too Hot for the Boss!
I find myself short-shifting in town. Even at 2-3k RPM, it sounds like it is really revving... so I shift. Then I look at the tach and go 'damn'.

I'm usually between 2-3k rpm

I have begun to 'short shift' in traffic too, because I started looking at my gas mileage ::). I also starting using 5th and 6th a lot more. It is fun to run theose rpms up, but is bad foe gas mileage and tickets too :p

Between 3,500 and 5,000 rpm's. I like to hear the exhaust rumble and I'm not worried about gas mileage. I did manage 21.6 mpg on my 205 mile road trip this past weekend but prior to that I never saw anything North of 15.0. My car is not a DD.

5 DOT 0 said:
Between 3,500 and 5,000 rpm's. I like to hear the exhaust rumble and I'm not worried about gas mileage. I did manage 21.6 mpg on my 205 mile road trip this past weekend but prior to that I never saw anything North of 15.0. My car is not a DD.
+1
I've kept mine at 2200 on the freeway, but have never seen MPG higher than 21.

3k cruising to hear the exhaust and keep engine 'on the ready' near torque range, upshift @4.5k ( which brings it back 3k on the next shift)

atrain1975

I hate short shifting around town and rarely do it. I average 10.9 mpg, though. I'm not complaining!

GA
atrain1975 said:
I hate short shifting around town and rarely do it. I average 10.9 mpg, though. I'm not complaining!

You know, the gas pedal does have other positions other than all the way down and all the way up. :p ;)

3-5K just to hear the exhaust note (I can't get enough of it). At first my youngest was a little embarrassed about the noise now she get's it; the first thing she does now is roll the window down.

Currently I'm averaging about 11-12mpg and don't care. The best I've seen was around the 500 mile mark on day two during the brake-in period. All highway miles 6th gear around 60-70mph the computer indicated 24.5mpg for the entire tank with the computer re-set at fill up.

Geeezzzzz I love this car.

PJWANNABE said:
atrain1975 said:

You know, the gas pedal does have other positions other than all the way down and all the way up. :p ;)

Good info, not that it matters. I still only like it all the way down. :)

TMO Supporting Vendors