The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

RPM shift light

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I have not installed that particular shift light, but I designed my own sequential shift light a couple of months ago and have used it for 10+ track days without issue 8)

I tapped the low side COP wire (doesn't matter which coil, so I choose the easiest to get to) and it works like a charm. Not sure what the shift light you have requires but I'd be willing to guess that same connection would work fine.

It would be great if you could post up some pics during your install. Especially where and how you're making the wire connections. This looks like a nice little add-on.

When I installed mine I was too lazy to go to the store to buy a wire tap so I used a safety pin to pierce the COP wire and zip tied it down. Then soldered the shift light tach wire to the safety pin. Super jank but hasn't failed me yet. Jimmy rigged engineering for sure but that's the best kind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cobrarob

11 Shelby GT500
new york
mprichar87 said:
When I installed mine I was too lazy to go to the store to buy a wire tap so I used a safety pin to pierce the COP wire and zip tied it down. Then soldered the shift light tach wire to the safety pin. Super jank but hasn't failed me yet. Jimmy rigged engineering for sure but that's the best kind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lol.... Your like MacGyver!
There's 3 wires on mine, black,blueishgreen and black red(ground,tach,ignition) is that the same as yours?

Cobrarob said:
Lol.... Your like MacGyver!
There's 3 wires on mine, black,blueishgreen and black red(ground,tach,ignition) is that the same as yours?

Similar. When I designed mine I decided to use USB to power it since I don't want it on all the time. So a mini USB cable to the cigarette lighter gives me power & ground, then a tach wire which I connected to the switching COP wire.

cobrarob

11 Shelby GT500
new york
mprichar87 said:
Similar. When I designed mine I decided to use USB to power it since I don't want it on all the time. So a mini USB cable to the cigarette lighter gives me power & ground, then a tach wire which I connected to the switching COP wire.

Very cool. Thanks for your time and help.

TMO Supporting Vendors