The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S550 RS2 #44 Build Thread Profile - S550 Mustangs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Olsburg, KS
I bought a UPR dual catch can setup a couple of weeks ago and finally got around to installing it. Pretty straightforward setup and quick to install. The part that took me the longest was deciding where to put the retainer wire for the mounting/removal nut. I finally decided to pop rivet it to an open hole in the fender apron. I've never had any issues with oil consumption, so it'll be interesting to see how much oil it actually captures. I don't know that the dual setup was necessary, but the filter on the driver's side shouldn't hurt anything. I'll monitor to see if there ends up being anything to drain from that side. Looks like I need to clean up the engine compartment again. It's getting pretty dusty.PXL_20211212_213102626.jpgPXL_20211212_213051139.jpg

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Steve , since you are in K State Land, we in the Midwest know you likely travel down to Topeka to play on the road course or even autocross on occasion. Just wanted to let you know Motorsport Park Hastings was just repaved in October with a very similar asphalt compound as the Terrifically Tire friendly circuit there in Topeka, so put September 2022 on your calendar to zip up to Nebraska to run with a bunch of TMO crazies, Ford Engineers, and other Mustang Maniacs in the Fast Ford and Mustang Roundup. Close to you and a definite " Bucket List " for TrackAddicts in the Heartland of America.

My sister and brother in law went to KSU and I lived in Salina for years, so I am a bit acquainted to Aggieville ---- heh, the area is just celebrating Kansas's tremendous wheat production by allowing folks to understand the wonderful tributes of cereal malt beverages, ha.

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Olsburg, KS
Steve , since you are in K State Land, we in the Midwest know you likely travel down to Topeka to play on the road course or even autocross on occasion. Just wanted to let you know Motorsport Park Hastings was just repaved in October with a very similar asphalt compound as the Terrifically Tire friendly circuit there in Topeka, so put September 2022 on your calendar to zip up to Nebraska to run with a bunch of TMO crazies, Ford Engineers, and other Mustang Maniacs in the Fast Ford and Mustang Roundup. Close to you and a definite " Bucket List " for TrackAddicts in the Heartland of America.

My sister and brother in law went to KSU and I lived in Salina for years, so I am a bit acquainted to Aggieville ---- heh, the area is just celebrating Kansas's tremendous wheat production by allowing folks to understand the wonderful tributes of cereal malt beverages, ha.
Yes we are definitely in K-State land. We originally moved here in 2013 when my wife took a job with KSU. She has since moved on, but my job is about 15 minutes away and she can work from home, so we'll probably be here a while.

So far I've been to Topeka to autocross and drag race. Still haven't been on the road course, but there's a good chance I'll do that next year. I've been autocrossing in Topeka, Salina and Yoder (Wichita) mostly, but I have been to Lincoln a few times. I know I've heard your name over the loudspeaker a time or two. Next time I know you're there I'll try to find you and introduce myself. I'll probably try to hit more events at Lincoln this next year, as my wife's family lives in the area (Lincoln and Beatrice area). I'll definitely have to look into the Mustang Roundup. I've talked to someone else that's a regular there and he also said it's a lot of fun. I've been doing the Tulsa Shelby meet for a number of years and have hit the Mohawk Track Experience at Gingerman a few times (the Mohawk organizer is a friend of mine from doing Bullitt stuff). Those two tracks are my only road course experience at this point.

I used to go to Aggieville occasionally back when I was in school. I wasn't smart enough to make it through engineering school while partying all the time, so it wasn't very often. I honestly can't remember the last time I was there since we've moved back. Just about all of the bars are different than when I was there (mid 90's). There's a brewery/restaurant on Poyntz called The Tap House that has a pretty good variety of beers, so that's where we end up going on occasion.

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Oh, I was in Aggieville primarily in the 70s, so let's not go into all the changes I would experience , ha. I often run with NASA at Topeka and they will also have a track event at Hastings this coming year , one month before the Mustang Roundup. With all the cool stuff the Ford Engineers from Dearborn usually bring down, it is a special event not unlike the Shelby event at Hallett. The difference is a your Pony will have a lot more time to gallop --- up to 4 days!! I run with SCCA in my son's Silver EVO 9 so wander over and introduce yourself when you are in Lincoln.

Interesting you run at Salina as I was one of the guys who pushed to start the Salina Region of the SCCA, and since we branched out from the Wichita Region I actually ran at Yoder in the 1980s! Have autocrossed in Topeka numerous times, but it was alot more fun when we ran on the airport concrete in my estimation.

I will flat guarantee if you enjoyed the Shelbyfest at Hallett you will absolutely love the Hallet event --- even more fun as your runs are timed!!

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Olsburg, KS
Oh, I was in Aggieville primarily in the 70s, so let's not go into all the changes I would experience , ha. I often run with NASA at Topeka and they will also have a track event at Hastings this coming year , one month before the Mustang Roundup. With all the cool stuff the Ford Engineers from Dearborn usually bring down, it is a special event not unlike the Shelby event at Hallett. The difference is a your Pony will have a lot more time to gallop --- up to 4 days!! I run with SCCA in my son's Silver EVO 9 so wander over and introduce yourself when you are in Lincoln.

Interesting you run at Salina as I was one of the guys who pushed to start the Salina Region of the SCCA, and since we branched out from the Wichita Region I actually ran at Yoder in the 1980s! Have autocrossed in Topeka numerous times, but it was alot more fun when we ran on the airport concrete in my estimation.

I will flat guarantee if you enjoyed the Shelbyfest at Hallett you will absolutely love the Hallet event --- even more fun as your runs are timed!!
I'll have to try to make it to Topeka when you're running. There was an event or two this year where they had open track and autocrossing scheduled for the same day.

Salina is currently my ROR. Our RE (Monte Rans) is moving back to Indiana next month, so there will be a new RE next year. There has been some question whether the ballot would get filled, but at the last minute it was filled. Yoder is a special place for me, as it's a big part of the reason I'm here. My grandpa was stationed there in the early '40's and met my grandma while he was there. There's no way they would have met if he hadn't been stationed there. It's funny, I always think of Yoder as one of my local autocrosses. In reality, it's 3 miles further from my house to Yoder than it is from my house to Lincoln. I should probably consider myself lucky that there are 5 active regions (if you include the KC region, which I've never been to) within about 2 hours of me. Running at HPT is a lot more like running at Lincoln than either Yoder or Salina. It's a lot more wide open and I can actually use the power to some extent. I think they're all fun venues, though.

You've got me talked into thinking Hastings is an event that I need to go to. Sounds like a great event.

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
I was one of the guys who pushed others in Salina to become a Region ( I was the first President of the Salina Chapter of the Wichita Region ) so I have alot of love for the old Municipal Airport. My son was born hours after I won my Class at Mirrorkhana in 1983 , so we still joke he was literally born to autocross. I was spoiled as from my house to the Autocross site was less than a mile and only about 1/4 of a mile as the crow flies. I guess I can't complain much since living in Nebraska I am only 60 miles away from the National Solo site in Lincoln. With your grandfather stationed in Yoder , your family story has a similar ring to it and I guess you too were just meant to autocross. From one cone killer to another , I look forward to seeing you skipping through the slalom pylons in 2022.

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Olsburg, KS
I haven't made any real parts yet, but I got a 3D printer a couple of weeks ago. It uses an IDEX system (Independent Dual EXtruder), so it's set up to do 2 different materials at the same time. I had access to one at my previous job and ended up making a couple of injection molded parts based on 3D prototypes. I use Solidworks at work and can use the license for it at home after hours. Makes it a bunch easier to come up with new stuff. Does anyone out there have experience making 3D parts for automotive use? I'd be interested to hear any experience that others have had. It's relatively obvious that PLA (the most common and easiest to use material) isn't usable in an automotive environment. It looks like ABS and Nylon are probably the most common materials, but there are other more exotic materials that can be used on more critical parts. Right now I'm trying to get the slicer figured out so my prints are a little better. There is definitely a learning curve, and I'm starting at ground zero.PXL_20220116_001552031.jpg

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Olsburg, KS
Well, first real parts for the Roush from the 3D printer. Strictly cosmetic, obviously. I notched the strut towers when I added the Vorshlag plates, so I made these covers to hide the scars. I took a picture of the logo on the front fender of the car and traced the outlines to create something that fit on a 3" round surface. I used ABS and did an acetone smoothing procedure on them to make them shiny. I am still doing a lot of experimenting, but am getting a few things to look presentable. ABS and especially Nylon are significantly more finicky than PLA, but they're at least usable beyond making trinkets. We'll see if these end up melting from the engine heat.
PXL_20220227_210856452.jpgPXL_20220227_210907219.jpg

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Olsburg, KS
Haven't really done anything to it lately, but I thought the sun and angle really made the paint pop at the cars and coffee this morning. My 3D printed strut tower covers have bubbled up a bit, so I'll try a different material next time. I used ABS, so next try will be either Nylon or ASA.
PXL_20220402_144600609.jpg

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Absolutely stunning with the bronze rims ............perfect color for them and I bet you were a big hit at Cars and Coffee. That car looks fast and you don't need any caffeine to realize that!!!

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Olsburg, KS
Well, it's not the Roush or the Bullitt, but a build thread for the Cougar would be mostly old pictures and pretty short for new developments. We're getting ready to move in less than a month, so I needed to make sure the Cougar is running so I can drive it the 15 miles to our new place. I fired it up with the 600 Holley I was using and while it ran, it also leaked like a sieve. A friend is letting me borrow a 650 double pumper, which I've always wanted to try. There's just something about mechanical secondaries that's more fun. I still need to tune it and make sure there aren't any leaks, but it was fun to hear it fire up. It's funny how my car with the lopiest idle is also the slowest. It's got maybe a little over 1/3 the horsepower of the Roush. Says a lot for technology... and forced induction.

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Olsburg, KS
Dang Steve what are you going to do, the ole Cougar only ran for 21 seconds, you will never make it 15 miles to the new home, ha!
Ha Ha! That was just to make sure I didn't leak too much gas if there were issues. All 3 cars are within a few feet, so I really don't want to light anything up (yes, the fire extinguisher was resting on the front fender).

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Olsburg, KS
I found a deal on the Roush triple adjustable setup, so I now have some suspension work to do. That's going to be my weekend project for this weekend. According to the part numbers, the springs are different from the single to triple setups. Does anyone know what the difference in spring rate is? Also, they got a bit beat up during shipping and some of the red paint is chipped off. Does anyone know what the red is called, or at least something close? It looks like Roush has pretty much discontinued importing this setup from KW. They haven't used it as OEM since about 2018, so I'm sure the demand is pretty low. Also, does anyone know if there is any actual difference other than color between the Roush setup and the KW V3 setup?
PXL_20230413_231501288.jpg

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
If KW did shocks similar to what they built for Vipers I would guess the difference with Roush is extremely close to the same set up one could get from KW's model for a Mustang. There could be some valving changes , but my guess would be they are minor.
Keep in mind that alot of parts come from after market companies , with most often colors changed. MoPar sold Viper two piece rotors, but they were built by Stoptech and the hat was simply painted differently.

Good luck and I would not worry about the paint on the springs, they will get chipped up later anyway, imho.

Last edited:
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Olsburg, KS
If KW did shocks similar to what they built for Vipers I would guess the difference with Roush is extremely close to the same set up one could get from KW's model for a Mustang. There could be some valving changes , but my guess would be they are minor.
Keep in mind that alot of parts come from after market companies , with most often colors changed. MoPar sold Viper two piece rotors, but they were built by Stoptech and the hat was simply painted differently.

Good luck and I would not worry about the paint on the springs, they will get chipped up later anyway, imho.
That was pretty much my thoughts on the parts. Most likely just a paint scheme difference. I deal with rebranded stuff all the time, so I'm fairly familiar with how that goes.

I started pulling the car apart this morning and wouldn't you know it, in spite of the installation instructions showing different part numbers for the springs, the ones on the car are actually marked the same as the new ones. Don't know if there was a difference in aftermarket kits vs. factory installed or if they just decided they needed to show a difference on the paperwork, but they are definitely marked the same. What that means is that I won't be pulling the back end of the car apart to get them changed. The front end will obviously still require the same amount of work whether I change the springs or not. I'd be out there continuing to change parts out, but I have to run to town to get blue Loc-Tite. I misplaced the bottle I have and I won't be able to find it unless I go buy another bottle. That seems to be the way it works.

TMO Supporting Vendors