The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S550 Ruby! Build Thread Profile - S550 Mustangs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Now come on Colorado Cobra , you just tease us with a tiny peek at Ruby and you won't divulge any of her secrets, as we know you have accessorized the lovely lady more than just extra rims and tires. That even leaves us wondering, what kind of shoes and inflatables did you get for her? Bet you did some other little items , like getting her attitude aligned for nailing her through the curves and whether it was an inter............resting course or not, I bet she might even have some new colorful belts or a little bra up front? So , let us know a bit more info, we know you are holding back!!

Oh, and welcome to TMO , plenty of wild Mustangs on the loose in your State!

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Denver
LOL, sorry guys. I thought I was setting up my profile and did not realize this would generate a new thread! Ruby is brand new to me GT350. I just traded in my 2011 GT500 and in my view the 350 is an upgrade. I had a Kenne Bell supercharger on the 2011 GT500 and it was very fast but managing the heat was always an issue (especially on a road track) and I decided I liked the road track much better than a dragstrip. So 2 weeks ago I picked up Ruby and making plans on what I want to do with her. First will be PPF and ceramic to protect the front end. Just picked up a tow hook off another forum and looking for a set of take off wheels so I can run sport cups or R7s on them for the track and keep the stock wheels for the street with pilot 4s on them. Also looking for camber plates. What do you recommend? I am pretty much an HPDE / Open track guy as right now I don;t have the money and time to do competitive events.

Last edited:

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
Vorshlag CC plates can get you into -3.5 to -4 territory, don't know of anyone else's that can do that. Take off wheels, if they're OEM, are not a good choice for road course work, they are way too heavy. I'd be looking for something a whole lot lighter like Apex offers. Vorshlag and Apex are both site sponsors here.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Denver
Oh, they definitely lured me in a long time ago. This is my 5th mustang. My first car in 1976 was a 65 mustang which of course if how I learned to work on cars. My next was a 69 Mach 1. I really wish I still had that car. Next was a 89 LX 5.0. That was an awesome autocross car for the time (mid 90s). However, sold that due to raising kids. After a dry spell with no sports cars of any kind I jumped right to a 2011 Shelby GT500 and modded it up pretty nicely. It had 702 to the wheels and certainly was fast but any time at any track events I was always fighting heat soak despite cooling upgrades for both the supercharger and engine. It was going to take over $4k to really address it. So I always loved the GT350s and wanted to return to a naturally aspirated setup. And now I have Ruby. :)

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Denver
Vorshlag CC plates will get you into -3.5 to -4 territory, don't know of anyone else's that can do that. Take off wheels, if they're OEM, are not a good choice for road courses work, they are way too heavy. I'd be looking for something a whole lot lighter like Apex offers. Vorshlag and Apex are both site sponsors here.
Do you want to run that much camber for our cars? I don't honestly know, which is why I joined the site. I thought 2/2.5 was more appropriate?? Do you have an apex wheel recommendation for the GT350? Or a forum topic that points them out?
Edit: the scrolling vendor banner showed apex just as I sent this the first time. Do you guys recommend an 18? WIll it fit the big disks on the 350? Do I need a spacer?

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
Do you want to run that much camber for our cars? I don't honestly know, which is why I joined the site. I thought 2/2.5 was more appropriate?? Do you have an apex wheel recommendation for the GT350? Or a forum topic that points them out?
Edit: the scrolling vendor banner showed apex just as I sent this the first time. Do you guys recommend an 18? WIll it fit the big disks on the 350? Do I need a spacer?
Hell yeah! -2 of camber on the front end just does not cut it for serious track work, you'll go through outer edges of tires in no time. That number is OK for the rear, but the front needs lots more.

Talk direct to the guys at Apex through the forum, they are very accommodating and can answer your questions definitively.
This link:
Will give you the forum names for the supporting vendors that you can contact them with.

In general 18s are preferred if you're going to run take off slicks, but there's a lot of great tires now for 19" wheels.

Ludachris

Chris
Staff member
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Newcastle, CA
@APEXRaceParts will be able to chime in. Send them a PM, or maybe they'll reply here if they have some time.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Denver
Alright, I finally have time to share some updates with everyone on my build.

First thing I did to Ruby was a paint correction, and PPF install full front clip and roof. I then did an Adams graphite ceramic coat myself on the full car and wheels. It is really not that hard and is like many things, the more prep you do the better the result. I also installed front rock blockers on the wheel wells. She is shiny now! ;)

I finally got Ruby out to High Plains Raceway in the Denver area for my first track day. OMG, what a nice improvement on my previous GT500! First, just the fact that I could go for full 25-30 minute sessions without overheating and heat soaking a supercharger was awesome. Car never overheated and ran strong the whole time. Then, the handling was awesome, nice turn-in and balance in the corners and corner exits can laying down the power down much easier. Although I wasn't timing my laps, I could tell they were considerably faster. Which brings me to the topic at hand, the build thread.

So my plans have been to get another set a wheels and tires for the track, so I don't tear up the tires I want to use on the street and go to the next level on track. I just bought a set of wheels (and extended studs and spacers) from Apex. I bought the SM10 11x19" ET52 all around so I can rotate them. I also just bought a set of GY supercar 3Rs 305/30-19 from Tire Rack to mount on them. Black Friday sales and all, though the tires I did not get any discount, but Apex had good sale pricing. Haven't been able to try them on the track yet, partially do to the cold weather, the fact that I just got them and another reason I will get to in a minute. I also have purchased, but not yet installed Caliperfexion caliper studs and extensions, Vorschlag camber plates, Auto-blip, and a fire extinguisher and mount. I got my tow hook installed when I replaced the splitter ruined when it was transported when I bought it.

I am still debating about the m-5300-w ford performance springs. If I am going to do that then I would like to get that done at the same as when I put in the Vorschlags. One of the reasons I am hesitating is I have a fairly steep driveway where I can barely avoid scraping the splitter on now. I'll figure the scraping issue out if it is worth it. Anyone have experience with that lowering spring and what do you think as to handling improvement, stance, and if any ride harshness?

That thing that is holding up getting some of these mods installed? Oil consumption! Ford has authorized an engine replacement and it is in at the dealer, but the heavy line mechanic is backed up, so it looks like second week of January before they can work on it. No biggy this time of year on the wait. When they marked it for testing I went through 3 quarts of oil in about 725 miles! Thank God for warranties.

That is about it. I will update once everything is installed and I try it out on the track.

Last edited:

TMO Supporting Vendors