The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Rum Bum suspends CTSC operation

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Well, more great news.....We used to green 30 cars in CTSC now they're down to about 5. It seems that when NASCAR bought the series, they allowed the old ALMS people (who ran that program down the gutter) to do the same for CTSC..nice Work there Mr. France.

http://sportscar365.com/imsa/ctscc/rum-bums-suspends-ctsc-program/

Well that's a bummer. I'll be at the Laguna Seca race but it just got a bit less interesting.

imsa_28716283.jpg

Seems like the focus of the series has shifted to ST vice GS. Or at least that's what the teams have done given the situation.

Rob, is the biggest factor here cost?

In my Humble Opinion, although cost is a factor, I would say management is more the problem. Grand Am did a great job for years then when they merged with ALMS suddenly all these strangers showed up and started giving orders. About the only thing they cared about were the "old" GT and prototype car, and their combining with the new LMP cars and acted like no one else existed. They royally screwed up the first Sebring race in virtually every class and the corvette guys get treated like kings, which got very testy in the pits at Laguna Seca several years ago when their manager stood up and told everybody in GS that "We're (corvette) a professional race team and every one else needs to move their equipment".
Don't get me wrong Pirelli is having the same issues, after bouncing the BOP all over the planet last year, there are only about 10 cars in the GTS class as well, so they let in these kit car Euro spec GT4 cars to fill the fields, if you really look at one of those, a production car like a mustang or camaro has no business racing one of those.
If I were the king of racing, I would bring back a class like the old Trans Am with mustangs, camaros and challengers (the challengers are waaayyyy over weight so you'd have to give them a bone like an aluminum block or whatever (they actually petitioned grand Am to do that and GA said no..too bad). Throw in a specific BMW or so. Write the rules so that they are true production cars (unlike the Pratt Miller camaros) with a roll cage and a fuel cell, put fat tires on them so they handle, and go race. If a manufacturer introduced coil over shocks on a production car, then they all could get them, but the older cars would be grandfathered with a weight brake or larger tire.
At the end of the race (before the team touches the car) I'd dyno the top 3 occasionally to keep them honest.

TMO Supporting Vendors