The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Running laps at Sebring

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Complex track for a beginner, was a bit scared at first. There are many extra roads, turn-offs etc. at times I felt lost.

The Nitto 555's held on but I let them heat up well before I really got into it. With sticky-er tires I could really have a wild time out there, lot of turns and at least five places were you get over 100 MPH, one or two others where you are at at least 90 MPH.

I do like the brake setup, never worried for a second out there, even when I did not slow enough for the corners and had to reapply the pads dug right in.

I can not stress enough to everyone who was smart/lucky enough to get a Boss - track it. Don't be scared, it is a lot of fun even if you do not push it or only do it once - go enjoy it.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PrupwS1kHYY[/youtube]

Second vid with no traffic

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KElIxKgKh7Q[/youtube]

From another Mustang (from my town no less)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=9wwI9Y-Hg_k[/youtube]

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Pick up "Going Faster" by Carl Lopez. Lotta great insight that could improve your (or mine, or anyone's) driving, plus their home track is Sebring so there are a ton of tips to run that track in particular.

ArizonaGT said:
Pick up "Going Faster" by Carl Lopez. Lotta great insight that could improve your (or mine, or anyone's) driving, plus their home track is Sebring so there are a ton of tips to run that track in particular.
I have Bob Bondurant on High Performance Driving. Have you read that book and if so how does it differ from Going Faster? it's been a while since I read Bob's book so I'll have to read it again soon.

Nice vids Scott. Looks like you had a great time.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Haven't read the Bondurant book but I could drive a couple miles down the street and ask Bob what his take on the differences between the two books are.. ;)

GA
Nice to see a Boss being used for what it was meant for and not sitting in garage in the wrapper. I plan to hit Sebring in the near future.

Added another vid taken from behind the Boss. I have a few more I need to work on, later.

Thanks for the tips on the books. Right now I want two things from this, have fun and bring the Boss home in one piece! So far so good ;D

Awesome... like everyone else said, glad to see you using the BOSS for what it's made to do.

Seems a bit quicker than my stock MINI Cooper did at Sebring ;D

ArizonaGT said:
Also anyone interested in learning more about driving should look into the "Speed Secrets" series by Ross Bentley.

Just finished the first 1. I'm about to start the second 1. lots of tips & tricks

I want to bring mine to Sebring soon as well.

Questions for those that have gone:
1.) do they give you a track orientation or pace laps to learn the turns?
2.) Helmet required?

Scott... where do you live and when are you planning on going again??

BlazinBoss302 said:
I want to bring mine to Sebring soon as well.

Questions for those that have gone:
1.) do they give you a track orientation or pace laps to learn the turns?
2.) Helmet required?

Scott... where do you live and when are you planning on going again??

I am going on the 27th with HOD but not sure there is room for two Yellow Bosses, lol

You sign up in the beginner class and they set you up with an instructor. They will ride with you and most likely you can go out alone toward the end of the day. You stay in that group all day even if you run alone, it will remain restricted passing with or without your instructor. Sebring is a lot of fun, the track is a bit complex with all the extra roads crossing but nothing a beginner can not handle safely.

You need a helmet for sure SN2005 or SN 2010. (Boss stripes optional)

GA
Hey Scott,

I was going to do the NASA weekend at Roebling on Labor Day weekend, but it is just so freakin' hot so I am going to pass. Watching the Grand Am race in NJ yesterday convinced me. HOD has an event there on October 21st, so I think I will sign up for that. How long are the runs and how many did you get to do?

Ken

PJWANNABE said:
Hey Scott,

I was going to do the NASA weekend at Roebling on Labor Day weekend, but it is just so freakin' hot so I am going to pass. Watching the Grand Am race in NJ yesterday convinced me. HOD has an event there on October 21st, so I think I will sign up for that. How long are the runs and how many did you get to do?

Ken

http://www.hookedondriving.com/event-details/Fallfest_at_Roebling_Road_Raceway!

Best thing to do is contact them, if it is the same as here (and should be) then you get five 25 or 30 min runs with an open session at the end of 30 minutes with passing rules. All the track events with with HOD here provide plenty of track time.

GA
2012YellowBoss said:
PJWANNABE said:
Hey Scott,

Ken

http://www.hookedondriving.com/event-details/Fallfest_at_Roebling_Road_Raceway!

Best thing to do is contact them, if it is the same as here (and should be) then you get five 25 or 30 min runs with an open session at the end of 30 minutes with passing rules. All the track events with with HOD here provide plenty of track time.

I will do that. Even though one day at HOD is about the cost of the whole NASA weekend at Roebling, it boils to down about the same amount of track time overall, and you can spend one less night.

PJWANNABE said:
I will do that. Even though one day at HOD is about the cost of the whole NASA weekend at Roebling, it boils to down about the same amount of track time overall, and you can spend one less night.

I thought about running a two day event with them down here but with the track time you get it was too much, summer sun will knock you out. I have two days scheduled at Daytona and have a feeling I will be dragging at the end of day two.

GA
2012YellowBoss said:
PJWANNABE said:

I thought about running a two day event with them down here but with the track time you get it was too much, summer sun will knock you out. I have two days scheduled at Daytona and have a feeling I will be dragging at the end of day two.

Yeah, that is why I don't run on the track down here in the SE after June and before October. The heat and humidity is just too much on both me and the car. It will just start to cool off around the October 21st date. I can get my track fix on iRacing.com in comfort during the summer. ;) I will try to do the new Atlanta Motorsports Park in November if the date does not get moved again, and then Road Atlanta in early December (although that was the other extreme last year - freezing).

I think next year I will try some new tracks like VIR, Summit Point, and NCCAR. I might make it down to Sebring since I have a family member I can visit in St. Pete.

batman48195

I never get tired of driving it!
ArizonaGT said:
Also anyone interested in learning more about driving should look into the "Speed Secrets" series by Ross Bentley.

I just bought this book used on Amazon. Wow. Great book. So many things I did wrong on my 1 track day last year, plus great tips on practicing shifting, braking and cornering when you are on the street. It explains all the terminology and strategy for driving. I will say this is a must read for anyone wanting to track their car.

http://www.amazon.com/Speed-Secrets-Professional-Driving-Techniques/dp/0760305188/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1365559138&sr=1-1&keywords=speed+secrets

Brian

TMO Supporting Vendors