The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Running wide street tires (305+)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neema said:
+47 would make it worse if it's already on the strut, no? Adding a spacer should help move the tire away though. regardless, I'm diving in (using 18x10.5 +38). I'll report back with results
Yes my bad......brain fart. I was probably thinking about the rears to tuck them inside the wheel wells better than the +38. Only other option for the front would be the +15s but I think you would rub the fender. Spacer is probably the only option with the PF01s.

cloud9 said:
Yes my bad......brain fart. I was probably thinking about the rears to tuck them inside the wheel wells better than the +38. Only other option for the front would be the +15s but I think you would rub the fender. Spacer is probably the only option with the PF01s.

so (i'm just guessing here) you test fitted the 305 up front and had no luck because of tire/strut interference--did you by chance try fitting it to the rear (to check tire/fender clearance)?

I've been curious about running a square 305/35/18 R888 setup with the Vorshlag wheels myself. I just don't want to be the fitment guinea pig.

I believe that I read somewhere that they were using 315 Hoosiers on these wheels with no fitment issues. I'm just running P springs so my car is not slammed.

http://www.vorshlag.com/product_info.php?cPath=141_142_268&products_id=505

KBBoss302 said:
I've been curious about running a square 305/35/18 R888 setup with the Vorshlag wheels myself. I just don't want to be the fitment guinea pig.

I believe that I read somewhere that they were using 315 Hoosiers on these wheels with no fitment issues. I'm just running P springs so my car is not slammed.

if i can track down some scrubs/lightly used tires, i'll be the guinea pig. it'll be fun figuring out the camber and spacer combo needed up front, but i'm worried about how the rear fenders will tuck the tire into the fender. It's shorter than what I have on the car now (315/30/20), but will protrude a few mm more (and I faintly rub on one side already--need to readjust the panhard bar). I may need to raise the car up a little bit to fine tune things. 305 all around is a nice patch of meat though.

neema said:
so (i'm just guessing here) you test fitted the 305 up front and had no luck because of tire/strut interference--did you by chance try fitting it to the rear (to check tire/fender clearance)?
Not only have I test fit them I've been running them on the track for 5 years on two different Mustangs. Here's my GT500 with a 305/35/18 R888 on an 18 x 10.5 +38mm Enkei PF01. It's on Koni adjustable coilovers and slammed. It won't rub the fender even though it sits just outside it. It tucks under and worst case the bumpstops would keep it from rubbing.

toyo305brainerd.jpg

toyo305.jpg

And here's the Boss with a Nitto 555RII 305/35/18 (same dimensionally as the R888) on the same wheel:
20120824103436786.jpg

And here's the Boss after being lowered with a 305/650/18 Conti slick on the same wheel:

racing2012338.jpg

First, let's talk tires. I think the following list sums "likely candidates" that come in appropriate sizes. I've listed these in groups in terms of dry grip as "A", "B" or "C", the "A" group being the best:

1. BFGoodrich g-Force Rival (A)
2. Michelin Pilot Super Sport (A)
3. Hankook RS-3 (B)
4. Dunlop Direzza ZII (A)
5. Bridgestone RE-11 (C)
6. Kumho Ecsta XS (C)
7. Yokohama ADVAN Neova AD08 (A)

I like your choice of tires and sizes. Not based on much personal experience, but just my preference. I have a set of 4 18X10 Forgestar 42 offset wheels and was wanting to try the BFG Rivals. Would like to try the 295 F / 315 R combo, just not sure if I can get away with that both in terms of fitting the 295's up front or mounting the 315 on 10" rear rims. Really interested to see what you end up with. I think my first [conservative] step is to buy a pair of 295s, mount them and fit them up front & check for clearance, then just inspect the sidewall fit and guestimate if 315s look like they would work, then decide whether to throw the 295s on the rear and get a set of 275s for the front, or use the 295s up front and get a set of 315s for the rear. Would really like to have 11" wheels for the back, just weren't available when I bought mine.

Can we get some pictures of the setups people are running. What does everyone think about the Falken RT615's? I want to do 295/40/18's and couldn't find anything else in that size besides the track Hoosiers. It would be nice to get an even offset front and back so you can properly rotate the tires.

sadil said:
Can we get some pictures of the setups people are running. What does everyone think about the Falken RT615's? I want to do 295/40/18's and couldn't find anything else in that size besides the track Hoosiers. It would be nice to get an even offset front and back so you can properly rotate the tires.
I ran the RT615s on my GT500 and thought they preformed poorly....that was about 5 years ago so not sure if they've changed the tire at all since then. The 2013 GTs we drove at Chuckwalla in February had these tires and I thought they performed surprisingly well for a street tire. They were much stickier than the Pirellis I ran on at Track Attack and also seemed to wear better. They do get greasy toward the end of a session, but that's going to happen on any street tire.

zzyzx

Steve
Great info in this thread...

sadil said:
Can we get some pictures of the setups people are running. What does everyone think about the Falken RT615's?

The Falken RT615s are a good tire, but do not handle heat well. On a light car, properly sized, they can fair pretty well in autox but I would not recommend them for a Mustang or track use.

I'm still on the stock wheels, and I run Pilot Super Sports:

275/40-19 Front
295/35-19 Rear

No clearance issues. These are fantastic tires. Highly recommend them.

I'm certain I'll be going with 18" wheels for track/autox, which means the BFG Rivals per my previous posts. Still undecided on wheel choice and whether I should first go full coilovers before the switch to 18s.

KBBoss302 said:

KB I just realized you were talking about the D Force wheels with 305s and not PF01s (don't know where my head was). I think you can mount a 305/35 on the d force wheels but you'll need spacers to avoid hitting the strut up front (from what I've read). You may be able to save some $$$ and run a 295 and have the same usable tread width.

Falken updated the 615 to the 615K a couple of years ago and it's supposedly a better tire. I ran the original 615 on my 1st Evo and it was a superb tire for that car 7-8 years ago. The 295/40/18 is basically the exact same overall diameter as the OE tires so it is a tempting option.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel