The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Rust from rear shock tower?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

So I just turned over 90k miles on my 2014 GT. This is a daily driver, and we've had a ton of salt due to the single digit cold snaps we've had this past year. I haven't had a chance to take it through a car wash in a few weeks either.

Anyhow I found all of my stuff soaked the other day and I tore the trunk of my car apart to figure out where the leak was coming from. It appears that the bulk of it was coming from the taillight pins, which apparently is pretty common. What I haven't heard anything about, however, is the rusty water weeping from the top of the shock tower, between the plate and the tower. I haven't been able to find anything about this online.

20180215_112409.jpg

I drive my car hard on either Boss LS shocks or Koni Yellows, depending on my mood. I can RTV the plate for the leak, but is this something that I'm likely going to have to worry about structurally? Thanks.

I haven’t seen that one before. Good luck.

TMO Supporting Vendors