The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Ryan Newman Injury

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TymeSlayer

Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Terrible accident, just saw it now. All our very best wishes to the pilot and his family. Hope he can make a speedy recovery.

Last edited:
In the V6L
The head-on impact with the wall was bad enough, but the side impact from driver's left is worse. You can see the cage didn't deform beside him, but the rest of the bodywork is pushed in a fair ways. It's bad.

horrible wreck.

no news is definitely not good news in this case methinks. "not life threatening" doesn't necessarily mean there isn't brain damage, paralysis, loss of limb, etc :(
Yes there is concern that's the case. That was one nasty accident.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
Ryan is awake and talking to family and doctors.

I was at Daytona with our Cup Car, 15 driven by Brennan Poole. Brennan did a great job for his first Cup Race. I asked him atv the hauler what the drivers knew about the wreck. All he said was "Not Good". That was right after the race.

Today NASCAR and Roush Racing announced he was awake and speaking. Yesterday, I truly thought I had witnessed a driver driver die right in front of me.

TymeSlayer

Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
My friend had Poole in our fantasy NASCAR pool and figured he was going to get a last place showing. I told him that a place like Daytona and Talladega brings the second tier and rookies up into better finishing positions due to all the wrecks.

Hope you enjoyed the 500 and am glad to hear that Ryan is doing better.

Glad to hear Ryan Newman will be OK, once He overcomes his injuries! His crash was eerily reminiscent to Dale Earnhardt's fatal 500 crash in 2001.Sterling Marlin nudged the number 3 car, sending Dale head on into the wall at full speed on the last lap. Marlin received death threats the following weeks after that crash.Safety improvements have really come a long way since Dale's crash, which surely helped Newman survive his crash.I still cringe when I see replays of Newman smacking the wall, flipping, then getting hit again while still flipping......................NASCAR may want to look at bump drafting/pushing. If it's not done right, a crash will be the result most tymes.

racer47

Still winning after 30+ years
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
SE WI

racer47

Still winning after 30+ years
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
SE WI
Newmans been released from the hospital, walked out on his own. How do you go from critical condition with no one saying anything to walking away less than 2 days later? Something seems fishy but as long as he's ok, I guess it doesn't matter.

Freaking NASCAR, they won't be happy until they kill someone on a superspeedway. This isn't racing, the only way to pass is to actually shove the guy in front of you. Luck is always a part of racing, but it used to be car prep and driver were 80%, luck was 20%, now it's the opposite, Kurt Bush said it right, it's not racing, it's just a dice roll to see who's left after the checker. Oh..I mean the grean white checker..or white checker..or whatever they come up with to take out the last few competitive cars.
I'm surprised they don't have a ring and a WWF bout going on in the infield while the race is on.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
Not his team mate. Ryan Blaney drives for Penske, Newman for Roush.
I watch the crash in person. It was ugly but not as "Ugly" as a crash with a sudden stop. The "Radio Silence" with the lack of communications made we think the worst. I am thankful my thoughts were wrong.
I do agree, NASCAR needs to fix super speedway racing. My suggestion, turn left after pit lane. Solved. I think the series will go that way eventually.

drano38

Wayne
Yes, that was an ugly crash. Cages, HANS, seats, all help with wall and side impacts.
Great to see he was able to walk out of the hospital today. Hope his recovery contineus on the fast-track, and he's driving again soon.

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
I'm surprised they don't have a ring and a WWF bout going on in the infield while the race is on.

Didn't they do a joint promo once with WWF at a race where they had a ring set up and wrestling bouts were taking place? It might have not been WWwhatever back then, but I am sure they did.

TMO Supporting Vendors