The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S550 S16 Mustang Build Thread Profile - S550 Mustangs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

First track day with the new drivetrain yesterday. Sonoma. First session was just a shakedown and surprisingly no issues or leaks. Gradually pushed more and really happy with the balance, stability and power. The back end actually stays planted with the wing, night and day difference. Also the auto rev match is amazing. Not only does it get the blip right every time, it’s so fast. I can’t stab the throttle nearly as fast. Pretty cool.

D4 trans definitely needs lower rear gears, trying to decide between 4.09 and 4.56.

My in-tank fuel transfer setup didn’t prevent starvation at 1/2 tank so I’m gonna inspect and see if I can’t remedy that. Otherwise surge tank and firewall.

I’m also going to try and make some wind deflectors on the leading edge of my front windows to reduce buffeting. it’s really bad now with rear interior gone.

No pics yet from the event but my buddy got this on the way home, gives me Super Street Magazine cover shot vibes. I’ll take it.

0734377E-C74D-4034-8631-D9F11AD985A3.jpeg

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Bulgaria
First track day with the new drivetrain yesterday. Sonoma. First session was just a shakedown and surprisingly no issues or leaks. Gradually pushed more and really happy with the balance, stability and power. The back end actually stays planted with the wing, night and day difference. Also the auto rev match is amazing. Not only does it get the blip right every time, it’s so fast. I can’t stab the throttle nearly as fast. Pretty cool.
How did you get auto rev match to work in 2017 car ? Gen 3 motor + D4 trans out of 2019+ car so full rewiring and 2019+ ECU ?

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
SoCal
I'm surprised no one has brought up the buffeting before. I noticed it as well with my interior gone.
I assumed with a helmet on, it wouldn't be so bad but nope. Even with a helmet, it's very apparent over 100 mph.

Do people just live with it or am I missing something? This is the first time I've heard anyone else talk about it. Glad I'm not the only one

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
SoCal
I'm surprised no one has brought up the buffeting before. I noticed it as well with my interior gone.
I assumed with a helmet on, it wouldn't be so bad but nope. Even with a helmet, it's very apparent over 100 mph.

Do people just live with it or am I missing something? This is the first time I've heard anyone else talk about it. Glad I'm not the only one
Chad Richardson was testing out some different 3D printed pieces that attach to the A pillar by the mirrors last year - I’m not sure what he finally settled on. He’s a member here but mostly engages on the TMO Facebook group and not here on the forum.

Chad Richardson was testing out some different 3D printed pieces that attach to the A pillar by the mirrors last year - I’m not sure what he finally settled on. He’s a member here but mostly engages on the TMO Facebook group and not here on the forum.

Interesting that’s what I’m going to try out. Even with a helmet on I need ear plugs and I’d rather not have to.

Some super scientific testing on the way home with my hand provided a marked improvement. So will bend up some aluminum and double sided tape it on and see how it does.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
SoCal
Interesting that’s what I’m going to try out. Even with a helmet on I need ear plugs and I’d rather not have to.

Some super scientific testing on the way home with my hand provided a marked improvement. So will bend up some aluminum and double sided tape it on and see how it does.
If you come up with something solid, I'll happily buy a set from you

Whipped up a pair of these from ABS as trial wind deflectors. Just double sided sticky taped on for now. Work fabulously, no more buffeting. May just rivet them on and call it a day.

12FF440E-69F0-415F-B2C3-996DC15CBD4A.jpeg

Also made this grille blocker. Last event my oil temp would stabilize around 140* f on the freeway. Can be installed/removed in 2 mins and oil temps are around 200 f now and CHT still fine.

F4F2A296-60BA-49C3-BF62-A893E5FE3E38.jpeg

Fair

Go Big or Go Home
Supporting Vendor
Plano, TX
D4 trans definitely needs lower rear gears, trying to decide between 4.09 and 4.56.

We ran the calcs for our 2018 GT with the MT82-D4 and the 4.09:1 rear gear ratio seemed to be perfect. Look at the max per gear speeds for 1st through 5th gears, then compare that with the terminal speeds on the tracks you frequent. With the 3.55 gears I always struggled on lower speed corners choosing between 2nd and 3rd. Never got out of 4th gear on track, always felt geared wrong...

PC102085-L.jpg

We added this 4.09 Ford Racing gear set with an aftermarket diff at the same time. One of the best mods we ever did!

YD2H4589-L.jpg

At faster tracks I could finally use 5th gear, and 2nd gear was no longer needed in slow corners. Woke up the car in slow corners, added mph at the end of straights, and even helped for autocross. 4.09 FTW! :cool:

My in-tank fuel transfer setup didn’t prevent starvation at 1/2 tank so I’m gonna inspect and see if I can’t remedy that. Otherwise surge tank and firewall.

Yea we fought starvation in left corners for the entire time we raced both our 2011 S197 and 2018 S550 Mustangs. 1/2 tank level led to starvation in both cars, and it was worse with aero and Hoosiers. Having fought with the imperfect mounting choices with fuel cells on several race cars, I tend to avoid them. They are an expensive fix for this issue, and don't always "fix" the starvation problem.

IMG_2505-S.jpgIMG_2520-S.jpg

I also REALLY like the stock tank's location on botht he S197 and S550 (shown), in the middle of the car and sitting low. These also crash VERY well when mounted here, and are separated from the cabin by steel sheet metal.

DSCN1207-S.jpgIMG_2404-S.jpg

We have used remote surge tanks on Mustangs before and it DOES work. I am doing this on my own S550 now (above right), with a Radium Engineering parts.

IMG_2387-L.jpg

We use the stock pump as a "lift pump" that feeds the surge tank, then 1-3 pumps within the surge tank to feed the engine. I've never done a good job of documenting this but I will as we add this to my S550.

Cheers!

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
SoCal
Whipped up a pair of these from ABS as trial wind deflectors. Just double sided sticky taped on for now. Work fabulously, no more buffeting. May just rivet them on and call it a day.

View attachment 72613

Also made this grille blocker. Last event my oil temp would stabilize around 140* f on the freeway. Can be installed/removed in 2 mins and oil temps are around 200 f now and CHT still fine.

View attachment 72614
Does that abs piece protrude outward at all or it goes straight back?

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
SoCal

Quick follow up on this - looks like @EIGHTLUG may have something available on these through Archetype Racing.

5EDDD68C-1249-47F3-B8D6-58567E75C9D8.jpeg

EBC601D8-1666-4CB7-9119-6078B1C46C98.jpeg
Killing time on TMO waiting for the last session of the day at Buttonwillow. 4.09 gears make a considerable difference, really like them. In gear acceleration is definitely improved and I actually get to grab 4th gear now. Also new diff is in an aluminum housing, a great way to drop 24lbs if you’re in there anyways.

also added a diff cooler, and an accessory power distribution block. Need to migrate the power for my aux fuel pump and oil temp gauge over (just ran out of time before this event) but now I can add as many additional circuits as needed with only one add a fuse tap thingy. No more rats nest under the dash. In the glove box seemed like a good spot.
66814DA9-EBA1-49EB-896A-13694A246A1B.jpeg

TMO Supporting Vendors