The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S197 4.6L Supercharger

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Phoenixville PA
What supercharger did they use in the 2008 Dan Gurney signature mustang? I am thinking of supercharging my 2005. Does anyone have any thoughts on supercharging a 4.6l

What supercharger did they use in the 2008 Dan Gurney signature mustang? I am thinking of supercharging my 2005. Does anyone have any thoughts on supercharging a 4.6l
I don’t know the answer to your Dan Gurney model question. I have a 2.3l Whipple with a 91 octane tune and I love the broad torque range. It has had belts break on me at the track and that can be obviously dangerous and I’m looking at fixing this issue as soon as I have the money. I posted a thread and haven’t gotten any response. I’m new to the sight like you but maybe most members don’t particularly like superchargers. Kind of a “cheat” but in my opinion/experience the 3V benefits greatly from a positive induction supercharger. Can’t speak about the centrifugal type.
NA, supercharged, turbo- Love em all

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Phoenixville PA
I don’t know the answer to your Dan Gurney model question. I have a 2.3l Whipple with a 91 octane tune and I love the broad torque range. It has had belts break on me at the track and that can be obviously dangerous and I’m looking at fixing this issue as soon as I have the money. I posted a thread and haven’t gotten any response. I’m new to the sight like you but maybe most members don’t particularly like superchargers. Kind of a “cheat” but in my opinion/experience the 3V benefits greatly from a positive induction supercharger. Can’t speak about the centrifugal type.
NA, supercharged, turbo- Love em all
Did you have to modify anything else to accomdate the supercharger? Does the kit include everything? I am wondering if i need to so anything else to keep the engine cool or if you had to upgrade any internals. I would love the extra hp at the track and i think i can afford maybe 5-6,000 but if i have to do more than that, i may as well just wait a few more years and get something else that already has the power. Good luck with you belt issue, i hope you can get that figured out.

Did you have to modify anything else to accomdate the supercharger? Does the kit include everything? I am wondering if i need to so anything else to keep the engine cool or if you had to upgrade any internals. I would love the extra hp at the track and i think i can afford maybe 5-6,000 but if i have to do more than that, i may as well just wait a few more years and get something else that already has the power. Good luck with you belt issue, i hope you can get that figured out.
There are tons of different kits out there by different manufacturers of varying price ranges. The old saying how much hp do you want, how much do you want to spend? All superchargers add a ton of heat and heat is the enemy of any internal combustion engine. At minimum a radiator upgrade over stock is needed and I recommend an intercooler and more open free flowing grill. I also have plans for an oil cooler, and some sort of heat extraction for the hood. I have stock internals and haven’t experienced a failure to date (knock on wood). I had not experienced any mechanical issues until I started driving it harder at the track, nature of the beast, and that is the 10’ long 6 rib belt breaking and some overheating on my last track day as the air temperature was higher than previous days and I’m driving the car harder every time. I don’t currently plan on running any timed competition events so a supercharger putting me in a higher class is not a concern. For me it’s an equalizer for the newer cars that have a ton of advantages over my platform especially in the power department. The Whipple is one of the more expensive kits out there but in my understanding Whipple worked directly with Ford, its a complete kit with necessary fuel deliver upgrades and programming for the ECM that has safeguards built in. For me, I’m most impressed by the huge improvement in the tourque and the broad range.

Good recommendations by Moderate197...

In my own experience and after significant research I went with a DOB (Dept of Boost) setup that employs an intake manifold that allows you to use GT500 components on a 4.6L 3V. They come in several different configurations from a basic (manifold only) to a full kit that includes most everything you'll need to install it yourself. I'm what you might consider a shade tree mechanic so I know my way around cars but no way a certified mechanic. It took me about a week taking my time to install the kit but if you really pushed it and had everything at hand I'd say you could probably install one in about 10 - 12 hrs. Mine started right up up with the stock tune. Note: You will need a custom tune. Recommend a guy who goes by the moniker "Lito" to tune it for you. Well worth the money (which was very reasonable by the way).

For more information: https://www.departmentofboost.com/ Jason's a really great guy and very helpful. Normally, he replies to email in short order.IMG_0978.JPGIMG_0006.jpgIMG_0045.jpg

My only recommendation is to do your homework before you buy. You'll be happier in the long run. Here's a couple of pics of mine for reference. JM

the Dept of Boost is a great alternative, the Whipple isn't the most favored blower, but it is a great, consistent, no problem piece. I love the Kenne Bell, but..I don't think they make a kit for the 4.6 3 valver any longer. I'm not a big centrifugal guy, I like the roots based stuff, because it is out of the way.

Boone

Professional Thread Killer
Another thing to consider in a corner carver is the supercharger will raise your COG. This can be slightly offset with aftermarket engine mounts that can be milled down as much as 3/4" (I did 1/2" on mine to ensure header clearance with the K-member). Some superchargers for the 3V are available inverted with the lobes in the valley (Edelbrock, maybe more). This will also help your COG.

Good point about the COG. Good tip and one of the many things overlooked.
Everyone here has valid points and there are so many points to consider if you might want to go this route.
I’ve been reminded here that there isn’t a one size fits all. As far as upgrading a Mustang it’s kind of a double edge sword because their are so many manufacturers of parts. The availability is great but you have a lot of products to look at before deciding what might be right for you.

As far as engine mounts go there are several aftermarket models that offer nearly an inch of adjustment. I went with 3/4" lower on mine to accommodate a strut brace. Clears the supercharger by about a quarter inch. JM

ChrisM

Mostly harmless.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
South Carolina
Superchargers aren't cheating, a lot of people are limited by rules. In addition, heat and weight are the enemy of a track car and the supercharger adds a lot of both. Track days will reveal the weaknesses in your system very quickly, especially once you start to push the limits. Most people would benefit more from spending the money on track days, wheels and tires, brake upgrades, etc, and they will still not reach the limits of the car's capability. Adding a supercharger just multiplies all those original requirements by 10 and a lot of the vets have learned this and so encourage people who ask to start elsewhere. This isn't to say it can't/shouldn't be done, but you need to go into it with both eyes open...and very deep pockets...

Boone

Professional Thread Killer
Chris is a genius. Everything that guy just said is completely true. Dead on ball accurate... but still some of us go down this hole. Guilty. But I figure if Ford can make the GT500 work, then I can have 650whp as well. Fair is fair.

The day I acknowledged that I would have this car for the rest of my life is the day I quit worrying about how much this crap is costing me. It's mine, and this is how I want it. :cool:

I'm at this tipping point as well. I have had a vortech supercharger sitting in my garage for two years waiting to be installed as I make up my mind to stay NA or boost it.

An extra 100 RWHP would be nice but at what cost? You never know until you do it as I always say if you run a 200TW tire (like most of us do) your tires will more than likely heat soak faster than your supercharged car if you have all of the cooling items you need.

I honestly would be happy with 350RWHP NA but I would have to throw a hell of alot more money at it as I only paid $500 for my vortec set up.

Tim, I have a Saleen Mustang (came supercharged) and it's fun for street driving. But for track days, it's not the easiest or best choice. After a simple mod (12psi), my car was a rocket. And instantly threw a few rods at the track (but that's another story, here's the link:
go to 22:30). A few $ later the bottom end is forged. Chris said it best: forced induction adds heat, weight and complexity. The big question here is what are you going to do with your car? Street or track... If I would have known track days were so much fun, I would not have bought a Saleen mustang for track duty.

TMO Supporting Vendors