The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S197 extended wheel stud options

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xr7

TMO Addict?
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Minnesota
Some replacement studs are NOT a direct replacement. the splined area that is pressed into the axle or hub is larger in diameter than the stock studs. You need to drill out the holes to the correct size before installing the studs. ARP studs are a direct fit replacement. On the front end I bought new Ford Racing hub assemblies that have the ARP studs installed.

So I'm ordering ARP ( 100-7722 ) extended studs for my Boss. cause they seem to be the go to studs. 10-12 week wait !!
Has anyone tried Moroso wheel studs ?

Back when Dick Moroso owned the place, they were great, now, 20 years later, I really can't tell you. I'm in the same predicament myself.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
SoCal
So I'm ordering ARP ( 100-7722 ) extended studs for my Boss. cause they seem to be the go to studs. 10-12 week wait !!
Has anyone tried Moroso wheel studs ?

I would look at OP Mustang’s site - they have some unique options that are intended for the Mustang hubs. They have some that are bit longer than the ARP studs, which would be nice for spacers >25mm.

carver

breaker of wrenches
ontario
Back when Dick Moroso owned the place, they were great, now, 20 years later, I really can't tell you. I'm in the same predicament myself.
Arp claims knurl dia. of 0.550 inch and Moroso claims 0.594 inch. I'm not a machinist or very good at math but would 0.044 of an inch still fit the hub without drilling?

I'd be willing to try the Moroso studs while I wait for the ARP to show up ! 😎 I'm pretty sure l can find them on the shelf.

carver

breaker of wrenches
ontario
I would look at OP Mustang’s site - they have some unique options that are intended for the Mustang hubs. They have some that are bit longer than the ARP studs, which would be nice for spacers >25mm.
I have looked at there site and they have really nice products! Getting hubs to Canada with exchange rate, shipping, taxes and duties is going set me back around 1600$ Everything we get from the USA ends costing about double what you guys pay. It ain't cheap when we have to import. 😫 Rant finished !!

Arp claims knurl dia. of 0.550 inch and Moroso claims 0.594 inch. I'm not a machinist or very good at math but would 0.044 of an inch still fit the hub without drilling?

I'd be willing to try the Moroso studs while I wait for the ARP to show up ! 😎 I'm pretty sure l can find them on the shelf.
The knurled area on the front hubs is (as I recall) smaller than the knurled area on the rear axle hubs, for this reason they have a different part number, but.. you can still press them in and they might fit (sort of). OR, you can press them in, mount up an old wheel to insure they are straight and tack weld them but that would only work on the rear, although you could prolly trim them down and weld them on the front.
So.. you could take the Morosos and cut them down to 550 and tack them on the front.. which I'm about to try.
I looked up some ARP studs on American Muscle..
Moroso .........594 (clearly stated NOT to be used with spacers)
ARP. (AM)......625
ARP................550(these are listed by Pegasus as the same used on the FRPP FRONT hubs)
ARP................614 (listed as REAR only)

so I'm thinking the .594 and .614 knurls are for the REAR only
I have no idea what the .625 fits

BTW, almost all the ARP stuff is out of stock virtually everywhere

These might work.. We're gonna know shortly because I just ordered 12 of them

"Info​

This wheel stud manufactured from Currie Enterprises is made of a high strength steel. Its press-in design makes it stronger than stock. These wheel studs are sold individually.

• Press-In Design
  • 1/2" x 3" Stud
  • .610 Knurl
  • Sold Each

Notes​

KNURL DRILL 19/32 (.593"

Last edited:

carver

breaker of wrenches
ontario
I like how the Moroso specs Part # 46185 say " thick hub racing wheels " , but not wheel spacers...hmmmm
-------------------
  • Exceeds santioning bodies requirements on the use of extra long wheel studs with thick-hub racing wheels
  • Manufacturing from high grade SAE 8740 steel to withstand sheet loads of 190,000 psi (which exceeds Grade 8 specifications)
  • Feature a "quick start dog end" for easier starting of lug nut installation
  • 5 per package
  • Made in the U.S.A.
  • All stud lengths are measured from the base of the knurl to the end of the stud
Warning! Do Not use These Wheel Studs With Wheel Spacers!

I saw that, there were no such exceptions on the Currie parts. ( Currie builds diffs, BTW) so Im thinking I can cut the knurl down to 550ish and tig weld them to the new hubs.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
More money , but more total safety, why not get a set of Ford Performance Racing hubs that already have the long ARP studs installed. Not cheap , though Steeda has some and if not installing yourself, you would save some bucks have someone pull and install studs on your hubs. Just a thought.
Optimum Performance may have a set too, so check there also.

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
I like how the Moroso specs Part # 46185 say " thick hub racing wheels " , but not wheel spacers...hmmmm
-------------------
  • Exceeds santioning bodies requirements on the use of extra long wheel studs with thick-hub racing wheels
  • Manufacturing from high grade SAE 8740 steel to withstand sheet loads of 190,000 psi (which exceeds Grade 8 specifications)
  • Feature a "quick start dog end" for easier starting of lug nut installation
  • 5 per package
  • Made in the U.S.A.
  • All stud lengths are measured from the base of the knurl to the end of the stud
Warning! Do Not use These Wheel Studs With Wheel Spacers!

Probably covering their butt in the event someone uses them with junk spacers and one breaks would be my guess.

More money , but more total safety, why not get a set of Ford Performance Racing hubs that already have the long ARP studs installed. Not cheap , though Steeda has some and if not installing yourself, you would save some bucks have someone pull and install studs on your hubs. Just a thought.
Optimum Performance may have a set too, so check there also.
Because they are on intergalactic backorder, or I would already have them
OP, Ford, LMR, Cortex, no one has them.

@carver a little back track here, Instead of cutting down the knurl in a lathe, I'm going to open up the holes to match the studs, I think that would work better.

carver

breaker of wrenches
ontario
Because they are on intergalactic backorder, or I would already have them
OP, Ford, LMR, Cortex, no one has them.

@carver a little back track here, Instead of cutting down the knurl in a lathe, I'm going to open up the holes to match the studs, I think that would work better.
Sounds like a better plan ! Keep us posted.

I've been trying for weeks as well and everything is back ordered here too. 😫

Ok, after the weekend from hell..
I received the Currie wheel studs, the Moog hubs arrived and my $70 drill bit from Mcmaster -Carr, that is the recommended size, based on the Currie data
20220110_074227.jpg

20220110_074854.jpg

so I looked everything over, chucked it up and went for it
drill slow, and the bit will follow the original hole

20220110_075729.jpg
So as a precaution and to make sure the studs are straight, after pressing them in, I install them on an old wheel, put some grease on the wheel nut taper and wang them down with an impact wrench. I ordered 12 studs, and in fact bent one in the press, so that's why I bought extra. Once they are all true, I tack weld them. This is not as permanent as you might think, it's just so I can sleep at night. The welds can be easily ground off and studs replaced.

20220110_084826.jpg

All done, prolly not as good as ARP studs and Ford hubs, but this was the best available right now.

20220110_085132.jpg

Last edited:

carver

breaker of wrenches
ontario
Ok, after the weekend from hell..
I received the Currie wheel studs, the Moog hubs arrived and my $70 drill bit from Mcmaster -Carr.
View attachment 71686

View attachment 71687

so I looked everything over, chucked it up and went for it
drill slow, and the bit will follow the original hole

View attachment 71688
So as a precaution and to make sure the studs are straight, I install them on an old wheel, put some grease on the wheel nut taper and wang them down with an impact wrench. I ordered 12 studs, and in fact bent one in the press, so that's why I bought extra. Once they are all true, I tack weld them. This is not as permanent as you might think, it's just so I can sleep at night. The welds can be easily ground off and studs replaced.

View attachment 71689

All done, prolly not as good as ARP studs and Ford hubs, but this was the best available right now.

View attachment 71690

I love it when someone can think outside the box!! :hellyeah: :applause:
Would you share the part numbers involved ? Also wondering if the 13 Boss is the same hub. Pretty sure it is.

TymeSlayer

Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
I have a spare set I could cut loose of since my Boss is out of commission right now.
1 set of FRPP Front Hub and ARP studs - M-1104-A
1 set of rear studs M-1107-B
Both are brand new and unused. PM me if your interested.

carver

breaker of wrenches
ontario
I have a spare set I could cut loose of since my Boss is out of commission right now.
1 set of FRPP Front Hub and ARP studs - M-1104-A
1 set of rear studs M-1107-B
Both are brand new and unused. PM me if your interested.
Thanks for the offer. I have ARP's on order so it's a waiting game now and I may go the DIY route like Blacksheep-1 in the mean time. It's -25 here now so the Boss is hibernation for a couple of month's anyways ! Blacksheep-1 might want them.

TMO Supporting Vendors