The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S197 "street-friendly" aero for CAM-C autocross

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
For good or bad, I spent 15 years on various SCCA National rules committees including a few on the SEB and 3 on the Solo Nationals Protest Committee.....

Even in the wild west ruleset of CAM, only an unmodified OEM spoiler would be allowed on a like car. E.G I could run the GT500 one you refer to on my '12 but not the new GT500 wing. The S550 guys were trying that wing, and the Camaro guys like the ZL-1 stuff but I don't think they have found it effective enough at low speeds, but I think it was determined legal.

The forward support would be considered an end plate (IMO) and not legal. They cover that in the interpretations.

Still no idea on the flap if it were part of the spoiler. That is a pretty interesting idea. I would need to get more front aero grip before I added more rear.

DaveW

“#29454 Is a Gurney flap considered to be an end plate
As described a Gurney flap located at the top of a spoiler is not considered an end plate.”

This is in a 2021 SCCA bulletin (aggregate?)

Also found notes about strakes and vanes and such…okay if not more than 100sq in each and not closer than 6in. spacing. I’d go 10” high and 20” forward triangles.

Seems there are similar limits on splitter vertical elements.

Also spoilers can be as wide as the fenders/bodywork. 10” max curvature/arc. So make sure your design doesn’t exceed that either. At the angle I suggest, I don’t think that would be an issue.

So many rules and interpretations! I’m not 100% sure that applies for the OP, but worthwhile to check if you’re doing aero.

Hope that helps somebody.

Good catch on the gurney flap clarification. It's not guaranteed, but extremely likely, that a SP clarification would work for CAM.

THe stuff about strakes and endplates only getting 100sq in is from the modified category rules. Those aren't applicable to CAM (or any "lower" categories. Modified stands on it's own, as does CAM so nothing flows through (rules wise)

At this point, they need to allow wings and be done with the ugly ass spoilers. I could actually run a GT-1 legal wing on my car in CP trim but I can't run it in CAM.

Damn good find on the Gurney flap thing.

DaveW

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
THe stuff about strakes and endplates only getting 100sq in is from the modified category rules. Those aren't applicable to CAM (or any "lower" categories. Modified stands on it's own, as does CAM so nothing flows through (rules wise)
Thanks for the explanation. I see it now. That clarification isn’t in all the bodywork/aero sections.

Hopefully someone can make use of a Gurney flap on their spoiler here.

I agree in principle about added wings. Seems like a few relatively standard aftermarket types could be allowed by area and/or width and restricted by AoA and mounting height, etc.

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Colorado Springs
Still waiting for the best answer :) ... I do have a front lip that the previous owner gave me. It's more looks than anything and may just mount it for lack of better options.

Have been considering some small aero since Im doing slow and medium track work (per the linked youtube video). And I'm still stock rear.

Kind of digging @RodS197 's solution.

Wickerbill ok. End plates not per Raleigh.

As mentioned, I have the exact same setup as Rod197. It works great at autocross speed but is an absolute speed brake at about 80mph and also terribly unbalances the car at high speeds.

DaveW

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
20+ Years
So Cal
I can't speak to the legality in CAM-C or street-ability, but it is just sitting in my shed... Thought you might at least find the pictures interesting.

1646447779837.png

That's just about a perfect CAM-C setup. It's tough to get anything on the front of the car that can hope to balance it, but for Auto-X, you don't really *need* a perfect aero balance because you're almost always traction limited. Anything that reduces that limitation will almost always be a gain. The normal splitter, dive planes & hood vents will help the front, but it'll be tough to balance that much rear without some serious work on the front.

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Colorado Springs
Wickerbill ok. End plates not per Raleigh.

As mentioned, I have the exact same setup as Rod197. It works great at autocross speed but is an absolute speed brake at about 80mph and also terribly unbalances the car at high speeds.

DaveW

Hmmm, I don't see a wicker bill for the "older" S197, just the newer. And I have the stock wing still so not sure how that would look on the raised stock style wing. Which makes me think, if you are gonna do it....just go all out.

But I doubt that is CAMC legal. Have to go check the pdf.

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
20+ Years
So Cal
But I doubt that is CAMC legal. Have to go check the pdf.

What you're seeing in the picture above your post is pretty much the limits of the CAM rules as intended. You might be able to get a little more with creative supports or a gurney on the end, but this is a general idea of what the rules allow.

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Colorado Springs
What you're seeing in the picture above your post is pretty much the limits of the CAM rules as intended. You might be able to get a little more with creative supports or a gurney on the end, but this is a general idea of what the rules allow.

Kind of what I am fearing. And hate to replace the stock wing with another spoiler to then still have to mount a wicker bill to, just seems like a bunch of half steps to get to a full step.

What other thoughts do you have for "get more creative supports" ?

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
20+ Years
So Cal
Kind of what I am fearing. And hate to replace the stock wing with another spoiler to then still have to mount a wicker bill to, just seems like a bunch of half steps to get to a full step.

What other thoughts do you have for "get more creative supports" ?
I think the move is to get a spare fiberglass decklid with a spoiler 'base' that you can bolt the Lexan addition on. Swap with stock for AutoX weekends.

TMO Supporting Vendors