The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S197 Tire Fitment...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Norm Peterson

Corner Barstool Sitter
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
a few miles east of Philly
... I wasn’t willing to accept the huge gap.
I don't think I'll ever understand why people never look beyond the gap at the very top of the tire, and never notice how badly un-centered the wheel and tire can end up when looked at over the entirety of the wheelwell opening. And then call that a "good" look.

Strictly from an appearance point of view, taking too much out of the OE amount of this gap makes the car look like it's either overloaded or that the springs are tired/chosen poorly/have outlived their service life.

Norm

For what it's worth, for autox use, 285/35-19 or 305/30-19 makes a decent compromise if you are on the wrong gear (3.55 or 3.73), which is how I landed there. If you have the right gear (3.31), the wide 18's are likely the better setup with current tire selection.

The 3.31 gear, TrueTrac, and AED tune went into my car last month, so I am really hungry to see how the torque / powerband, and and raised 2nd gear top speed feel on course before deciding on wheels and tires for next year.

The new Azenis, if it's fast, may offer some more good options for those on 19's. It looks like it will bring usable 295, 305, and 315 sizes.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
The last few years have been fun for those racing and autocrossing with a lot of tire companies getting back into a consumer war for the track rats bucks. Just a few years back it was really a fight between the Rivals and the RE71s for domination in the 200 TW Class , and now we have Yokohama ( who were big in the 80s ) with their A052 and Falken discreetly announced a new sticky tire at the 2019 Solo Nationals. Supposed to be secret, leaking it out to all the folks racing BRZs and Scions in their Spec Class , and with close to 1400 other Soloists zipping though the cones, the secret lasted about 10 seconds. It will be interesting to see the results as noted by s9669s ( Mr. Numerical/lettered Palindrome )!

Can't wait to get back on track, since there is constant evolution with Hoosier, BFG, Toyo and others for the DOT Comp Tires ( under 200 TW rating) , and though we all get frustrated at times, their are more rubber choices for Mustangs than ever before.

Since HiRpm posted he did not want to buy expensive things twice, that was my main motivation to suggest certain tires and rims, and the shorter tires ( than stock diameter) are being used almost across the board by the faster drivers ( track and autocross). Over the years I learned the hard way, getting what I thought was the hot set up and then getting to the events and finding I was behind the times. Many have had this discussion at the Mustang Roundup and once folks see what others are running, the next year the bulk of those competitive spirits, end up with more rubber and a smaller overall diameter. Heck, I am running a 315/30/18 on advice from AZBoss and since he won the Championship in his Class ( NASA AZ Region), I give him credit for helping me do the same in my Region, last year. I would probably have gone with a different tire if completely on my own.

So, my advice is based on Hi not wanting to spend extra bucks if he gets into Autocrossing , and of course he will need to determine his Class also , since he may have to go with a narrower tire or rim size. There are those on here that can help him with that ( DaveW, Autoeux, me, etc. ) but I will constantly remind those of one noted authority , Blacksheep 1, who has often mentioned on the Forum that this machine needs more tire........................that is probably the best source of advice for anyone, considering his record with Phoenix Racing and others!!
You’re absolutely right, Bill. From a competition point, the widest wheels and tires in an 18” diameter are far and away what you want if you’re chasing the clock or P1.

Street cars and canyon carvers, however, have different needs that must be met. I think it’s up to Hi RPM to choose where he goes from here with all the info we flooded him with.

My car (a 2013 Boss) is strictly a fun street car.
My car is, 1st and foremost, a street car.

So, Hi; I’d suggest a bottle of your favorite poison of choice in a lawn chair pointed toward your car in the driveway. What do you want to accomplish? Parking lot Pimp on the weekends while chasing the dragon on a mountain road? Or shaving that extra tenth off that last lap where you know you left a little on track coming out of turn 6?

Decisions, decisions.

Last edited:
I don't think I'll ever understand why people never look beyond the gap at the very top of the tire, and never notice how badly un-centered the wheel and tire can end up when looked at over the entirety of the wheelwell opening. And then call that a "good" look.

I’m a lowrider from way back, Norm. I have always thought that the lower the car, the better it looks. Hell, if I could tuck the tops of the tires into the sheet metal and still make this thing turn, I’d do it haha!

the wheel being “centered” in the opening isn’t a concern for guys like me at all. Reaching that balance of performance and style are what matters to me.

...just don’t ask me to pick one over the other lol[/QUOTE][/QUOTE]

Last edited:
The last few years have been fun for those racing and autocrossing with a lot of tire companies getting back into a consumer war for the track rats bucks. Just a few years back it was really a fight between the Rivals and the RE71s for domination in the 200 TW Class , and now we have Yokohama ( who were big in the 80s ) with their A052 and Falken discreetly announced a new sticky tire at the 2019 Solo Nationals. Supposed to be secret, leaking it out to all the folks racing BRZs and Scions in their Spec Class , and with close to 1400 other Soloists zipping though the cones, the secret lasted about 10 seconds. It will be interesting to see the results as noted by s9669s ( Mr. Numerical/lettered Palindrome )!

Can't wait to get back on track, since there is constant evolution with Hoosier, BFG, Toyo and others for the DOT Comp Tires ( under 200 TW rating) , and though we all get frustrated at times, their are more rubber choices for Mustangs than ever before.
When do we hear more about these tires?! I remember those days when Yoko’s were the hot setup, and I’ve always been a fan of Falken when they do dabble in performance rubber.

When do we hear more about these tires?! I remember those days when Yoko’s were the hot setup, and I’ve always been a fan of Falken when they do dabble in performance rubber.

Below is a link to the only test I've seen with them, which looks very promising. However, based on what I have heard this was a pre-production rubber compound, with the production compound being harder for better wear. Punchline: Too soon to tell...

Norm Peterson

Corner Barstool Sitter
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
a few miles east of Philly
The wheel being “centered” in the opening isn’t a concern for guys like me at all.
I get that it's not an appearance concern for lots of people. What I don't understand why people can't ever see more than just the gap at the top few degrees of tire. When you have a number of generally circular shapes, some inside others, the overall appearance just looks better (more unified) when they all share a common center. I'm only considering appearance here, not function at all.

For function, get the function right and let the appearance fall where it may.

FWIW, the improvement you get specifically from lowering (IOW, not considering any increase in spring rate) is less than what most people think. It's there, just not by as much as the change in appearance suggests.

Norm

FWIW, the improvement you get specifically from lowering (IOW, not considering any increase in spring rate) is less than what most people think. It's there, just not by as much as the change in appearance suggests.

Norm
You’re exactly right. Guys tend to think that lowering a car is the be-all end-all of good handling. It’s not. HOW you lower it and the quality of components you use are far more important than “if”.
Ironically, my last AutoX car? The wheels were centered in the wheel opening.
DDD5D11B-FCB5-4C9F-9D62-8DBA0715F5F2.jpeg

TMO Supporting Vendors