The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S550 6 piston bracket thread insert?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

i have the 15+ PP 6 piston brembos and removed the calipers to install camber plates, when i put the caliper back on, one of the caliper to spindle bolts felt like it took too much effort to screw in. It was a consistent feeling and eventually clamped down with a normal feeling, so I'm not sure if the bolts are stretched or if the caliper threads have an issue. Yesssss, I'm reusing the bolts :( , i do have new ones coming since these are tty bolts.

Long story short, if the caliper threads are messed up, where can I find replacement inserts for the caliper bracket? I'm sure they exist somewhere, just don't know what to search for

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
It sounds like that particular bolt got cross-threaded--you might be able to get it out but it won't go back in properly again.
The easiest way to fix that is to get a new caliper and send the old one back to satisfy the core charge. You can get a new caliper here for $239 + shipping after you get your core charge refund.
http://parts.autonationfordwhitebea...0l-v8-gas-engine/brakes-cat/front-brakes-scat

If you choose to rehab the existing caliper, look into what's called a "Time-Sert"; I'm not sure the proper thread pitch but I'm sure someone else here will know.

Reusing bolts is not a huge deal but you need to be very careful when starting them into the caliper (even if new). Don't feel too bad--a bunch of us have made this mistake already on S197s. You may be the first S550 case here :(
However, in this case you will definitely need to replace the affected bolt.
I think some here have mentioned the need to really clean out the threads on the calipers before reassembly as the loctite is significant and/or there is some minor metal debris. That would be a good course of action to help everything reassemble smoothly in the future.

You may want to chase the bolt hole with a tap first. It's possible the problem is the build up of loc-tite in the threads.
I did this often with my stock Boss calipers. The OEM thread locker is nasty stuff and gums up the threads.

Thanks for all the help, here's an update!

Took the caliper off today to asses the situation. Turns out that the first thread was caked with dry loctite, the oem bolts have an ass load of loctite on there. Cleaned out the threads and the bolt turned smooth again :)

The 6 piston brembos have a very strong steel insert which should prevent any stripping issues that the 4 pistons had.

I'd still like to know where to get backups in case these ever do strip. The flange on the insert is 30mm wide and the length of the insert is about 15mm. The flange thickness is 3-4mm but theres a split down the middle which makes me think it's actually a washer behind the flange of the insert, both being 1.5-2mm thick. I'm leaning toward this being a rivet nut, but I'm only familiar with those needing to be crushed in place, do they make these to be prssed in as well?

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel