The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S550 6 Piston vs GT500 6 Piston

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hi everyone,

Posted up on the facebook group, got some good replies but thought it would be a good move to post here before pulling the trigger on the setup i go with. I would like to go with a 15" 6 piston setup with Girodisk rotors and G-Loc R16 pads. I have ford racing brake ducts, run RPF660 fluid, i plan to upgrade the ducts to a 4 inch setup in the near future, currently the 4 piston gt500 brembos are on the car and have served me well but left me wanting more thermal capacity.

To get to the point, my worry is the hydraulics with the S550 6 piston setup, seems some people are happy with them and some people feel the pedal throw is increased by a large margin. I like a stiff pedal, and that is important to me. I am leaning to the GT500 setup because hydraulically i know it will work with the s197 slave cylinder. It also has a large pad, not quite as big as the S550 but bigger than even a lot of big brake kits which have proved successfully in terms of its surface area.

Who has been using the S550 setup on an s197 and feels the GT500 setup might have suited them more or has complaints about the S550 setup on an s197? Pedal feel to me is slightly more important than 10% increase in pad life i would expect from the S550 vs GT500 6 piston setup. I am planning to place an order with optimum mustang either in the next couple of days, and still on the fence with which setup to go with, I hate these decisions, noone around me has an S550 setup on an S197, frankly very few mustangs in the UAE go to the track :D

I notice next to no difference in pedal travel upgrading to S550 Brakes from Oem 14" Brembos. The advantage of the S550 over GT500 brakes are all all service parts are much cheaper, and more readily available. Very important to someone who tracks a lot and is buying consumables often. Brake pad offerings for GT500 calipers are somewhat limited, unless that has changed in the past couple years since I was considering the GT500 as you are.

IMHO, S550 FTW

captdistraction

GrumpyRacer
Phoenix, Az
I believe the weights are similar but I'm not exactly sure. The S550 caliper may be heavier, given the much larger pad, monobloc design. The rotor is the same either way for S197 thus weights similar there.

I race on the OPM kit with girodisc rotors and r18 pads and the system really works.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel