The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S550 dampers upgrade. BILSTEIN VS FORD PERFORMANCE

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I think all the inputs were great.
I'm sure coilovers will be (is ) the way to go on track (not sure about street confort though)
They cost more but I definetely go meet wolith the CORTEX guys.

I also appreciate the input on "the normal dampers" . the Bilstein seems a good quality guaranteed item.
Ford perfomance looks similar with some good feedback.
I do all my labor. So definetely the only extra cost is the alignment (for cortex and dampers anyway)
I'll keep digging into.

Let's keep the conversation open please.
Especially mif anyome has some extra experiemce with those systems

Ps. Who the hell is OP?!?!?!?
JUST KIDDING

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

Trying to help people with a longer term solution is one of the things I do like about this board. That and most of the people have first hand experience setting up cars and running them on tracks. I also agree with going to Cortex for some advice. I would also personally jump straight to a higher end coilover. But, it sounded like a good set of coil overs were not in the OP's budget.

I would also be cautious about running coilovers on a street car unless you are prepared to rebuild them at least once a year. My JRi's were dead, and I mean dead, after two track seasons without a rebuild. I know send them out for rebuild every winter. The cost is about $600 with shipping from DE to NC and the car is down for at least two weeks.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Wow, 12Boss , I can understand your trepidation, and have to admit my experience is with the scores of Viper suspensions we set up with MCS components.On the street they rode better , but they were giant killers on the track. I can't say about the JRis, but to be fair to all manufacturers, there are tracks in different parts of the Country that are just flat hard on shocks ----heck , Sebring is flat hard on every friggen vehicle component, ha!

My JRi Cortex setup was better riding on the street than stock. I did not have full race springs on it. 450 up front and 250 in the rear.

ChrisM

Mostly harmless.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
South Carolina
My coilovers, which are paired with the appropriate springs and whatever else, ride exponentially better on the street than my hodge-podge of crap that I picked when I thought I knew what I was doing (and listening to advice from a forum that had the collective track experience of a warthog, i.e. the opposite of this one).

I do also like Blacksheep's recommendation because it's a kit that is designed to work together. Regardless of what you decide, I highly recommend looking at full shock/spring kits from places like Vorshlag and Ford Performance, where they've tested the springs and shocks together. It'll work out better in the end.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Shoot, 12Boss, I knew I liked you, as you obviously follow the strict proponent that shortest way around the track is a straight line -- damn the curbs !! A legend in the Viper World gave me the nickname " The Bermeister," before his untimely death, and it is my favorite racing nickname though as the years go by few are aware anymore. Doesn't matter , I am your brother at the track , since neither of us will listen to anyone who tells us to , " Curb our enthusiasm, ha!"

TymeSlayer

Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
The Koni Sports I have are better than stock for sure. They've been on the Boss since July of 2014 and I've had no issues with them whatsoever. The Bilsteins are okay as well as my buddy put them on his 1999 cobra and they performed well. You can't go wrong with either one IMHO but when Fred Pemberstone wins the lottery, I'm sure he'll want his BFF (Me) to have some nice coilovers.

For those that have seen the cars at Phoenix, and even those that have rolled a creeper under them, the mustangs are really stupid simple. All FP parts and a set of Penske coil overs...that's about 99% of it. I can't speak for Phoenix technically, but they clearly put a great deal of effort into their shock program, the Corvettes, actually have Phoenix Performance proprietary valving..when it comes to handling it seems to me that the proper shocks > everything else you can do to the suspension.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel