The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S550 engine removal

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

With a lift out the bottom for sure. Drop the whole cradle. Gonna put that new garage to good use!

I’m about to do mine but don’t have a lift so hoping taking the whole front off will allow it to slide out the front.

Bummer you need to pull the motor, what’s the reason?

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Arizona
I did it out the top. I was seriously demoralized when I checked compression and cylinders 6-8 were low, thinking about tearing apart my low miles car. It was surprisingly easy, even with long tubes and a Moroso oil pan on the motor.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Arizona
With trans still on the motor or removed?
Removed. Getting the trans off was no big deal, did it myself with the car on blocks. Putting it back on was probably the worst part of the whole ordeal, but still not bad.

Watching my dad totally dismantle his Corvette to replace the LS7 made me appreciate how simple the S550 platform is to work on.

1 old racer

Too blessed to be stressed and old track whore,
Exp. Level
20+ Years
fontana ca.
Let me tell you how my dad use to pull the eng out of his track car. After this you will see no matter how you do it it is very "hi-tech". We would pull the car up to a old oak tree on our farm and jack the front of the car up and place cinder blocks under the tires and repeat the process till we got the car as high as he thought we needed. Then threw a chain over a overhanging limb and hooked the chain to the eng, Disconnect every including the eng and trans mounts the started lowering the car, block by block til the engine was free. Even as a kid I thought there had to be a better way. But a poor southern racer did what he had to do to get his car back on the track. And he did, time after time. Good luck and keep us posted.

If you have access to a 4 post lift, you can just lift the car off the subframe, and leave the engine on the floor/pallet/ whatever. That's the best way, other than that a coordinated team on a couple of floor jacks will do it. Take lots of pictures with your cell phone.

Exp. Type
Circle Track
Exp. Level
20+ Years
California
I’m in the same boat as Jeff, I am pulling mine out the top and have a 4 post lift, the Ford service site has complete diagrams and detailed step by step instructions for engine removal and anything else you need for the hot rod. I’ll make a link to the site, there is a 72hr, monthly and yearly, once your on there you can download everything or print the sheet to help in the garage. Engine lift plate from MMR is in the pictures with the cost.

its well worth the money for the 72hr access

I am going to start my own removal and rebuild thread this week, good luck Jeff and keep in touch if you hit a snag.

Johnny B

41402F54-D6CD-4C4E-AD1A-F3DE595D6D38.jpeg

AA80FCDF-90A8-4462-98AA-E34062494EB1.jpeg

391BD6EF-79C2-4506-A1A7-4C97C94BED9F.jpeg

8E01FFFA-FF5B-4762-91EF-3CDFE2EF6D7A.jpeg

7F189237-E890-4A1E-8D5A-E23C4818A1CE.jpeg

18827E2B-EFAA-4FC0-A18E-C7184DED5E81.jpeg

B9ECD28F-8B2A-496C-BC6D-1FD80B158BFD.jpeg

0A35B0B3-380B-4D26-BBAA-B45414ABEC03.jpeg

Last edited:

TMO Supporting Vendors