The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S550 engine removal

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Monaca Pa
I’m thinking about buying a Aluminator short block and 2020 gt500 oil pan kit. I don’t know what heads I would use, GT heads or find a good set of GT350 heads.
another thought was build a aluminator myself but would it be better just buy the Ford short block.

There are exceptions to every rule, but in general I don’t think many people build more reliable rotating assemblies than OEM’s.

Whatever you do definitely get the gt500 oil pan and pump kit (and check the pickup tube to pan clearance).

Monaca Pa
A friend has a brand new crate gen 3 short block. He wants $2200 for it. The aluminator short block is $4900 . $2700 dollar difference For more parts. What should I do..

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Arizona
Isn't that marginally more than a bare Gen 3 block new from Ford? (Which aren't available anyway?) I'd scarf that up. It does have cast pistons, but I'd think you could swap rods/pistons with something better and recoup some cost selling the new stock stuff and have a home brew Aluminator.

FYI, just turned 5k miles on my build and I was finally able to confirm via oil analysis that the lead I was seeing is from the Sunoco 260GT 100 octane "unleaded". If I can build one, you can too. I wouldn't be afraid of tearing into a new short block.

Monaca Pa
Isn't that marginally more than a bare Gen 3 block new from Ford? (Which aren't available anyway?) I'd scarf that up. It does have cast pistons, but I'd think you could swap rods/pistons with something better and recoup some cost selling the new stock stuff and have a home brew Aluminator.

FYI, just turned 5k miles on my build and I was finally able to confirm via oil analysis that the lead I was seeing is from the Sunoco 260GT 100 octane "unleaded". If I can build one, you can too. I wouldn't be afraid of tearing into a new short block.
I’m not afraid of tearing into it. I will see how much Manley rods and Mahle pistons piston rings will cost. The aluminator short block has all mentioned and balanced.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Arizona
I think you could easily get rods/pistons/bearings/balance and align hone the mains and probably have some left over. Especially if you can unload the stock stuff that comes out. I did all that for about $400 less than the $2700 price difference you have.

Align hone maybe not needed, but my machinist suggested it.

Last edited:
Monaca Pa
I think you could easily get rods/pistons/bearings/balance and align hone the mains and probably have some left over. Especially if you can unload the stock stuff that comes out. I did all that for about $400 less than the $2700 price difference you have.

Align hone maybe not needed, but my machinist suggested it.
Did you have a new block ?

$2200 for a short block is fair considering there is a $500 core charge for it. A gen3 bare block can be had for ~$810. + ship/taxes and should be available (parts.ford shows next day availability). If you go with main studs then an align hone would be recommended even on a new block.
Crankshaft is about $320.
Gen2 left hand head is available, right hand on backorder.

Last edited:
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Snowy North
It' not MY money, Jeff...but if it was, it would go to a SB designed, hand built, tested, raced, studied after failures and improved by an OEM.

Tough to see how an Aluminator can be beaten for output, reliabiility, serviceability...all that and a bag of chips (potato - not aluminum, copper, iron, ouch) :D.

Rob

Accusump is your friend, back in the day I watched a mustang hit debris in the bus stop at Daytona and cut the oil lines, by the time all the bells and whistles went off, the car was in the banking, and the driver shut it off, the data indicated the engine never lost oil pressure.. Accusump saved a ton of work and $$$

TMO Supporting Vendors