The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S550 exhaust mods

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sfo
What is the hot ticket for 2019 GT exhaust mods keeping the stock exhaust manifolds? I need to keep the stockers for my race class but can delete cats and mufflers. One header you can unbolt the cat and replace that pipe simply. One header the cat is welded on. Is there a aftermarket cut and weld kit to make that a bolt on system? If not I guess I can just start cutting and fabricating myself. I hate to reinvent the wheel. Ford does some pretty strange stuff.

sfo
I think the 2014 manifold fits. Are all s197 manifolds the same or is the 2014 different just like the s500 is technically 2015+ but the 2018+ has a bunch of differences?

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
SoCal
I think the 2014 manifold fits. Are all s197 manifolds the same or is the 2014 different just like the s500 is technically 2015+ but the 2018+ has a bunch of differences?
Looks like the same manifold was used on the 2011-2014 5.0’s - part # BR3Z-9431-C

The right side manifold has remained mostly the same from 2011-current. Part # BR3Z-9430-A for the S197 and FR3Z-9430-A for the 2015+. From pictures they look the same, so not sure why the change to the first letter in the part #.

Last edited:
sfo
Looks like the lethal perf is the cheap way to go then add resonator delete x pipe and axle backs and call it good.

Exhaust on the S550 is just like a CAI, you might see some gain but it’s mostly a sound mod. IF you were talking sbout LT’s that’s a different story. I say listen to a bunch of local cars and pick solely based on sound and construction.
If you ditch the cats you can remove the COTP in the calibration but that actually takes away enrichment anyway so I wouldn’t actually touch it.

sfo
Exhaust on the S550 is just like a CAI, you might see some gain but it’s mostly a sound mod. IF you were talking sbout LT’s that’s a different story. I say listen to a bunch of local cars and pick solely based on sound and construction.
If you ditch the cats you can remove the COTP in the calibration but that actually takes away enrichment anyway so I wouldn’t actually touch it.

I exclusively racing. The problem with running cats is that at WOT the map uses extra fuel and that destorys the cats in a short perood of time. So cats got to go. Then I'm also trying to get as much weight out of the car as possible. The factory exhaust has to weigh a ton. In my class I can't run aftermarket headers so I have to jump through a bunch of hoops to basically get pipes from headers to tailpipe. I don't care what they are or how they look. But I'm trying to do it cheaply.

TMO Supporting Vendors