The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S550 GT 5.0 PP Oil

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hey gang, well after months of debate I sold the Boss and I'm now the owner of 2017 GT Performance Package. My question is what oil weight to use for track days. I assumed 5W-50, but strangely enough I found Ford no longer requires 5W-50 for performance package equipped S550. What are others doing? 5W-20 just seems to thin for track use in my opinion.

Thanks Hack

The GT350's use 5-50. Pics of the new car?

The GT350's use 5-50. Pics of the new car?

Rick the GT350 looks awesome. I'm at work right now and unable to load pics. I'll post some up tonight. I was very surprised to see Ford only recommended 5W-20 for the S550 GT. There's no way I'll go that thin, I'd just like to hear what others have tried before going 5w-40 or 5w-50 cold turkey. lol

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
Found it:
**FOLLOW UP**
For anyone reading this later on and having similar concerns or questions about occasionally or beginning to track a Mustang GT (non track pack)

I have talked to guy at Ford Performance and he has assured me that 5W50 is the oil that the 5.0 Coyote engine needs under track conditions (high RPM & temp). and the oil I should be running at the track. However, because thicker oil will impact the cam-phasing system, it is recommended that I use the suggested 5W20 when im not at the track.

With this knowledge and per my original concerns about vehicle temperatures climbing up past an acceptable safe range I am doing the following:

1) Upgrade oil to 5W50 for all track use (HPDEs for the foreseeable future)
2) Install oil temperature sensor & gauge to help accurately monitor temps based on my track use.
3) Install upgraded radiator to optimize existing coolant system.
4) Install transmission cooling scoop to help keep transmission a bit cooler.
5) If oil temps are climbing to high at my next event climb out of a safe range -> Install oil cooler (Setrab 172 seems like a good choice).

This should solve my issues/concerns at least until I build the car up into more of a track toy and a LOT less of a mixed use vehicle.

Thanks everybody,

Gen2 coyotes use 'mid-lock' phasers, FWIW.

Ford Performance has recommended 5W-50 for all coyote based engines when used on the track.

Grant, first I've heard of that. Do you happen to have a reference for that? I'd like to read up on it if possible. I've been Boss focused for so long its like I'm a newbie all over again. :)

Just saw the above post. Thanks Grant

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
No problem Hack, and congrats on the new ride!

If you do have any concerns over running it in your Gen2 coyote, give FP a call to make sure. No problems or issues running 5W-50 in my GT/FakeR.

I still run 5W-30 but oil samples always came back fine even with OE 5W-20. I do not run any kind of tune. Several Customers run 5W-50 in hot climates. I have yet to run in Florida when it's hot so have yet seen the need for the switch. With a tune, and some protections shut off, higher rpm a high viscosity will be helpful because I was able to get the "implied" oil temp near the yellow mark.

I still run 5W-30 but oil samples always came back fine even with OE 5W-20. I do not run any kind of tune. Several Customers run 5W-50 in hot climates. I have yet to run in Florida when it's hot so have yet seen the need for the switch. With a tune, and some protections shut off, higher rpm a high viscosity will be helpful because I was able to get the "implied" oil temp near the yellow mark.

In the 2013 Boss I found it easy to put the OEM temp gauge deep into the yellow zone. I ran a oil temp gauge on my 2012 Boss and saw temps in the 290 range. I have since started shifting at or below 6500 which helped with temps. I'm planning to run a 5w-40 or 50 with the Gen2 coyote, however I'm very interested in others results with oil weights. Thanks for the info.

Run 5W50 full synthetic on track especially in warm seasons. I run 0W40 during late fall and winter months. We do heat up the oil on track and the 50 weight does protect the bearings better at high rpm/temps

Thanks Steve, I'm sure leaning that way for summer. Texas heat is never forgiving. A 40 weight in winter may be a better choice as well. So is the car still base white or have you done another retro paint scheme again? I really liked the Wood brothers tribute you did.

Subbed more more info.

On my 2017 GT PP with the factory fill I get the oil temps near the yellow tick with 20-25 minute sessions in mild temps (Jan - March track days so far). I think when the summer months come around (100*+ temps) I will only get a few laps in before the oil temps rise.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel