The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S550 GT350 Intake Swap

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
$1100 for intake and throttle body. Problem is Ford Performance stopped shipping them because of so many cases of damage in shipping. Mine came clean, but all of the connectors and parts related to the charge motion plates have been snapping off in shipment. Some good posts about the swap on SVT and 6g sites. Gains with CAI and tune of about 35 RWHP seem to be normal. This is without long tube headers. I would imagine at least another 15-18 RWHP would be unleashed there as well. 450+ is ready to be released.
Steve

This looks interesting with similar gains to the CJ intake in a much lower profile. Should be a fun project.

voodoo child21 said:
$1100 for intake and throttle body. Problem is Ford Performance stopped shipping them because of so many cases of damage in shipping. Mine came clean, but all of the connectors and parts related to the charge motion plates have been snapping off in shipment. Some good posts about the swap on SVT and 6g sites. Gains with CAI and tune of about 35 RWHP seem to be normal. This is without long tube headers. I would imagine at least another 15-18 RWHP would be unleashed there as well. 450+ is ready to be released.
Steve

Nice! Do you know the size difference in the S550 and GT350 throttle body?

voodoo child21 said:
87 vs 80 mm the bolt patterns are completely different though. MMR makes an adapter to fit the stock GT tb on the 350 manifold. Why you would want to i don't know.

Was just wondering if adding the intake alone was worth it, but that is quite a difference in TBs, no no sense doing one without the other.

steveespo

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
Got the manifold swapped, not as easy as the S197 cars but basically the same, have to free up some of the pigtails for the MAF sensor, purge and the Charge motion plate solenoids. Also have to change the hoses to the brake booster, the brass 90 is a transition from 3/8" at the booster pipe to 1/2" at the manifold connection. I have the correct GT350 part on order. Another thing different is the supports for the heater hoses, i just let mine rest on the injector foam and secured the stock hose holers above the hoses. May buy GT350 parts for this as well if reasonably priced.

AED is tuning for me and as usual the car fired right up, warmed up and idled pretty well. Had to do a crank relearn which was no problem. Did a test drive and have a little stumble/surge at 40-50% throttle from 2500-5000 rpm, hopefully this can be tuned out, its a know issue with this combo and I have some ideas from a few sources that I plan on sharing with Shaun. Full throttle on the base tune it pulled like a freight train, I went 2000 to 7600 in third gear and it would have kept pulling if I didn't let off. Highway cruising was smooth as stock and it seemed like I was getting better MPG.
Will be doing formal data logs tomorrow morning to send off to AED for analysis and fine tuning.
Steve

IMG_2758_zpsp3ydkrfz.jpg

steveespo

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
cloud9 said:
As usual, nice work Steve 8) You'll be putting down more than the Voodoo with the tune I assume. Is he going to do a race fuel tune as well?

I don't know about that Gary, Voodoo is pretty special, much more than Boss vs. GT engines. I will be planning a 93 and 98 octane road race tune plus a 93 street tune once we get it dialed in. Ran some data logs today 2000-7700 rpm full throttle pull was pretty impressive, there is so much unlocked at the top of the rev range with these engines. Will keep you all posted.
Steve

steveespo

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
Yes I do. The car is more aerodynamic than the Boss, it has a bunch of little tricks in the wheel wells and underbody, plus has less frontal area. Power wise it is close to my car. I hit 152 at VIR in the 21 this February and 149 at RA last fall. At Daytona 160 is no question for both cars. Steve

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

steveespo

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
Just an update, I finally got the tune dialed in on the car but not through AED, sadly after 7 tries and some odd experiences with throttle mapping and limp modes I went to JDM engineering in NJ for their tune. Nick and Jim have been highly involved with cracking the new processor mapping of the S550s since the release. They turned around a tune in 12 hours for my configuration and the car runs like stock, driveability is 99%, surging and stumble was eliminated and the car revs to 7800 almost uncontrollably. In deference to longevity I am keeping the limit at 7800 but the engine would definitely go 8000+. I will be trying to get down to their shop and run it on the dyno.
Steve

TMO Supporting Vendors