The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S550 S550 GTPP Build Thread Profile - S550 Mustangs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Bay Area
First ever track day: Thunderhill East 08/13/21 - It was an absolute blast!

I swapped to DS1.11 pads for the front brakes, these were amazing!
Absolutely a fantastic pad for my skill level, with the bonus of being able to switch back to the stock pads without re-bedding the brakes or swapping rotors.

I ran it with the PS4S tires while I'm waiting for my NT01s and SM10's.
At 1.9F/1.4R camber, I'm definitely not running enough camber; the outsides were wearing pretty hard.
They definitely also started to grease up near the end as temps approached 100F in the afternoon.
Tire pressures begin to climb to 36 PSI, and grip started to go down. Definitely will aim for 34-35 PSI for the next track day.

Definitely will need driver mod, with two main things to start with:
- I need to work on braking later and more consistently
- I need to use more of the track and not be afraid to hit those apexes and ride the kerbs out of corner exits

Next up is Laguna Seca with SpeedSF on 09/05. Given APEX's delays on their wheels, I'll probably have to run it again with PS4S's.

Planned future mods:
- Cutting the strut tower hole to up the camber (aiming for 2.7F/1.8R)
- 305/35r18 NT-01's on APEX SM-10 18x11 rims
- Ford Performance Touring Exhaust with Laguna Pipes (for the 90DB Laguna Seca days)

IMG_1268_CROP.jpg

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
Vorshlag's with cut open holes should get you closer to -4. There's an old saying that you can never get enough negative camber, which isn't quite true, but the point is you're going to want more than -2.7, like -3.5 to -4, to really get the most out of the front end and maximize tire life. I've found -3.5 works well for both goals, though at one track I go up to -4 as it is a tight, twisty one.
BTW, nice color! Lol!

Nice! JDee is correct, get that camber dialed in especially up front and you'll be way better off.

Laguna will be tons of fun, had planned on joining that day as well but won't be ready. If you do more SpeedSF events lets keep in touch. I run with them the most these days and usually not too many mustangs, would be good to have another one out there.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Bay Area
Vorshlag's with cut open holes should get you closer to -4. There's an old saying that you can never get enough negative camber, which isn't quite true, but the point is you're going to want more than -2.7, like -3.5 to -4, to really get the most out of the front end and maximize tire life. I've found -3.5 works well for both goals, though at one track I go up to -4 as it is a tight, twisty one.
BTW, nice color! Lol!
Thanks! You too xD

I think -3.5 or greater might be overkill given that I have the Steeda roll center correction, which improves dynamic camber for lowered cars, so I think maybe going up to -3 might be a good place to start, especially considering my skillset as a driver at this time as well as the fact that I'll only be running on the humble Nitto NT01 for the next year or so. I'll reward myself with some Goodyear Supercar 3R's if I can get below a 1:45 lap at Laguna on the NT01's xD

The other thing I want to consider is the handling consequences of having too big of a camber difference between the front and the rear, given that the rear shouldn't really be pushed more than -2 degrees before I'll lose grip accelerating out of corners, per the advice of several members on the mustang6g forum. Potentially, they can be tuned out with sway bar settings and driver mod. I'll probably consult some more people for advice, but I do see that the consensus is that -2.7 won't be enough xD

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Bay Area
Nice! JDee is correct, get that camber dialed in especially up front and you'll be way better off.

Laguna will be tons of fun, had planned on joining that day as well but won't be ready. If you do more SpeedSF events lets keep in touch. I run with them the most these days and usually not too many mustangs, would be good to have another one out there.
Definitely, I'll be on the lookout for these events!
Not sure if I want to do TH for a while, the track is amazing but the drive is terrible from where I live lol

Definitely, I'll be on the lookout for these events!
Not sure if I want to do TH for a while, the track is amazing but the drive is terrible from where I live lol
Yeah we're pretty spoiled in the Bay Area, Sonoma and Laguna real close and Buttonwillow and Thunderhill a bit further out if the drive doesn't bother you too much. Where in the Bay Area are you?

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel