The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S550 HPDE Prep - Need advice

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I’ve been with Track Daze and the SCMC Mustang Club. Both are mainly Mustangs and BMWs, but have a variety of other cars as well. Usually at VIR. Next SCMC event is Nov 11-12 weekend and they aren’t full yet. :)

While I've always been a fan of Mustang and always wanted one what finally got me into a Mustang was the Motor Trend article between a 2011 Mustang GT 5.0 vs a 2011 BMW M3 where the BMW was only 0.1 seconds a lap slower than the BMW. This was late Summer 2010. A few weeks later the Boss 302 was announced and I jumped in with both feet. I hope you enjoy your Mustang as much as most of the TMO members do. Drive the wheels off of it!

http://www.motortrend.com/cars/bmw/m3/2011/2011-2011-ford-mustang-gt-vs-2011-bmw-m3-comparison/

2011-BMW-M3-coupe-2011-mustang-GT-promo.jpg

I remember that article. I also remember a video review with Randy Pobst drive the m3 and Mustang back to back. Pobst was very complimentary of the mustang. I've liked mustangs since high school - long time ago! Though I thought Ford lost their way in mid to late '70s. I was super excited by the 2005 model. But, I'm a tall guy with long legs and that version didn't fit me very well. Then, I eventually sat in a 2015 and it felt great! Some folks complain that mustangs are too big, but I think they're about perfect. (I do wish I could get hydraulic steering though!).

But, back to the BMW vs Mustang...I am a BMW fan. But, I'm also (a little bit) practical. I think the S550 looks better than the m3/m4; it's got comparable (or better) performance; for me it's more comfortable; and, let's not forget it's half the price and cheaper/easier to maintain. I've put a little over 3k miles on mine - all pleasure driving. Last Friday, I took the day off work just to go drive mountain back roads all day. It was awesome but I'm looking forward to spring and getting the mustang on the track.

I'm anxious to hear who you all do your track days with.

I'm a big Hooked on Driving fan (their ad is to the right of page) and most of their events offer instruction, they are nationwide. Here in NorCal they draw the best collection of high end sports cars and it's fun passing them in my Mustang. ;)

I'm also a big Porsche fan and have owned two 911's. I'm sure another Porsche is in my future even if it's a Macan.

I'm a big Hooked on Driving fan (their ad is to the right of page) and most of their events offer instruction, they are nationwide. Here in NorCal they draw the best collection of high end sports cars and it's fun passing them in my Mustang. ;)

I'm also a big Porsche fan and have owned two 911's. I'm sure another Porsche is in my future even if it's a Macan.

I know what you mean about passing people who don't expect it. I love it when I'm able to drive my car better than people expect. Some of my most fun moments in my 255hp Z4 coupe were chasing down and passing m3s, corvettes, and, on one occasion, a Roush Mustang.

I expect I'll experience a bit of a learning curve with the s550 though. Ive done HPDEs in three different cars and it feels a little like starting over each time I switch cars.

So, OPmustang Tim uses 19x10 square setup for summer/track? @OPMustang Tim, are you able to rotate wheels/tires front to back? Can you please share details of your setup? Spacers? Suspension? Wheels/tires?
I was suggesting the OE Wheels for your year round setup, Everyone makes a great 255 All Season tire. Then just buy a set of Apex Wheels for track use. I'm not a huge fan of some of the offsets, 35 works better on the S550 than 40 but I understand they are making low cost track wheels for multiple platforms of Mustangs. I'm cheap and not trying to set records, just learn how to drive so the 19X10 35 OE wheels work for me. Depending on tire choice you may still need a spacer up front with a 19x10 40 wheel. It comes down to budget and goals. As much as I would enjoy making a point and running a few sessions with a track tire I prefer to attempt to be fast on a 340TW tire. <<<Different goals.

I was suggesting the OE Wheels for your year round setup, Everyone makes a great 255 All Season tire. Then just buy a set of Apex Wheels for track use. I'm not a huge fan of some of the offsets, 35 works better on the S550 than 40 but I understand they are making low cost track wheels for multiple platforms of Mustangs. I'm cheap and not trying to set records, just learn how to drive so the 19X10 35 OE wheels work for me. Depending on tire choice you may still need a spacer up front with a 19x10 40 wheel. It comes down to budget and goals. As much as I would enjoy making a point and running a few sessions with a track tire I prefer to attempt to be fast on a 340TW tire. <<<Different goals.

Actually Tim, it sounds like our goals are the same. I want to be able to drive at a level comparable to my car's capabilities. Once I achieve that, I think about upgrading to improve grip and / braking, depending on the need.

When I got my Z4, the previous owner had shod it with all season low rolling resistance tires. It seemed he was more concerned with mpgs than with performance. Nevertheless, I took it to the track with those tires and had a blast. I certainly wasn't the fastest on track, but I thoroughly enjoyed drifting through every turn. The tires had so little grip, it was like driving on snow. After that first weekend, I did switch to Michelin PSS tires, but still only 235 width square.

I think a 19x10 square setup will meet my needs for the foreseeable future. My tire / wheel priorities are: 1) square setup that allows me to rotate front to back and 2) better front end grip.

I think you're saying the following will work, front and rear, for the s550: 19x10 wheel. Preferably 35 offset; if 40 offset, then 5mm spacer in front.

Is that right?

Actually Tim, it sounds like our goals are the same. I want to be able to drive at a level comparable to my car's capabilities. Once I achieve that, I think about upgrading to improve grip and / braking, depending on the need.

When I got my Z4, the previous owner had shod it with all season low rolling resistance tires. It seemed he was more concerned with mpgs than with performance. Nevertheless, I took it to the track with those tires and had a blast. I certainly wasn't the fastest on track, but I thoroughly enjoyed drifting through every turn. The tires had so little grip, it was like driving on snow. After that first weekend, I did switch to Michelin PSS tires, but still only 235 width square.

I think a 19x10 square setup will meet my needs for the foreseeable future. My tire / wheel priorities are: 1) square setup that allows me to rotate front to back and 2) better front end grip.

I think you're saying the following will work, front and rear, for the s550: 19x10 wheel. Preferably 35 offset; if 40 offset, then 5mm spacer in front.

Is that right?

Most can get away without a spacer but I know the MPSS do tend to run wide and you may see some contact to the strut without a spacer. The issue with S550 hubs are the pathetically short wheel studs. They are only long enough to fully engage the OEM lugnut and OEM wheel and we do not recommend running any spacers but everyone does. Longer studs open up your future options as well as adding safety factor. Camber plates will greatly help turn-in because you can get it up in the 2's with any plate on the market while saving the shoulders of the tire on any tight courses. Even a square 255 works better than the staggered setup. Going to a 10" wheel allows you to run a 285 with a decent sidewall support. The P-Zero 275s fit really well on the 10" rim. This is the OE Wheel I run. I do run a spacer up front to move the wheel out but it clears the strut without the spacer with a 285 tire. Again, cheap, fit great, haven't broken one yet ;)

Most can get away without a spacer but I know the MPSS do tend to run wide and you may see some contact to the strut without a spacer. The issue with S550 hubs are the pathetically short wheel studs. They are only long enough to fully engage the OEM lugnut and OEM wheel and we do not recommend running any spacers but everyone does. Longer studs open up your future options as well as adding safety factor. Camber plates will greatly help turn-in because you can get it up in the 2's with any plate on the market while saving the shoulders of the tire on any tight courses. Even a square 255 works better than the staggered setup. Going to a 10" wheel allows you to run a 285 with a decent sidewall support. The P-Zero 275s fit really well on the 10" rim. This is the OE Wheel I run. I do run a spacer up front to move the wheel out but it clears the strut without the spacer with a 285 tire. Again, cheap, fit great, haven't broken one yet ;)

I followed the link to OE wheels. At the bottom of the page, for the 19x10 wheels, it says, "WILL NOT FIT: vehicles equipped with upgraded or performance brakes such as Brembo, or specialty models with larger brake calipers including Cobra, Boss, GT500, Shelby etc."

Since my car has the PP with Brembo front brakes, it looks like that OE wheel won't work for me.

I followed the link to OE wheels. At the bottom of the page, for the 19x10 wheels, it says, "WILL NOT FIT: vehicles equipped with upgraded or performance brakes such as Brembo, or specialty models with larger brake calipers including Cobra, Boss, GT500, Shelby etc."

Since my car has the PP with Brembo front brakes, it looks like that OE wheel won't work for me.
Tim has 6 piston Brembos.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

vzjCnG3.jpg
Interesting. I just called OE Wheels. They said they couldn't guarantee fit on my car.
I have been trying to get them to change it since 2015. The 19's clear no problem. I actually just found the email dated July 20, 2015 when they thanked me for taking the time to send in the pictures about the fitment. You can see that did a lot of good LOL. I have also sold the GT500 reps (they look outstanding on Ruby Red) in the Gunmetal to a Customer with an S550 PP. He went with 19x9's and Coopers for daily driving so save his Factory staggered wheels for Autocross. The GT500 reps in 10" 42mm would need to be spaced out slightly up front but they really match the lines of the S550.

Last edited:
I've gone about wheels too long. But, I feel like you've given me enough information. Now, I think it's more about deciding exactly I want and how much I want to spend. Thank you all again!

So, new topic...oil. Ford owners manual says motor craft 5w20 - eithe partial or full synthetic. I think I've seen where people recommend a different oil for high rpm track driving. What are your thoughts? Do I need to use a different oil for HPDEs vs auto cross vs daily driving? If so, what works best for each?

For reference, I live in VA so summer temperatures get into the upper 90s and winter gets down in the 20s consistently and sometimes as low as single digits.

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Snowy North
Are you sure he didn't quote for the car set?

M1007K-M19XGB is original equipment car set c/w TPMS + programmer for $662.

Single front wheel w/o TPMS is M1007-M199GB @ $167.

You'd pay shipping from NYC on anything from Levittown....but their numbers are pretty good no matter.

Are you sure he didn't quote for the car set?

M1007K-M19XGB is original equipment car set c/w TPMS + programmer for $662.

Single front wheel w/o TPMS is M1007-M199GB @ $167.

You'd pay shipping from NYC on anything from Levittown....but their numbers are pretty good no matter.

The guy may have made a mistake. (Or, maybe just extreme mark up.) But, when he told me the price, I replied, "Really? For one?" He said, Yes, all manufacturers are pricing wheels like that.

Given that Levittown has the wheel for $166.75, I think I'll call the local dealer and double check. If I get the same response - $950 - I'll check with a couple other local dealers.

I appreciate your follow up and prompting me to double check. At the price of $166.75, getting a couple more wheels like my front two, seems like a good (economical) way to have a set of wheels for winter tires. (255 might not be the optimal width if I ever have to drive it in snow, but it should be good for most other winter driving.)

Thanks again!

I see stock GT PP wheels for sale all the time. I’d check your local paper or craigslist also, might be surprised.

I'd be wary of a $170 "stock" wheel unless it was used. Sometimes they have ones they ordered by mistake, and they'll blow it out. Like scgt500 said, craigslist and the local used parts ads are good resources, just make sure you're not buying knockoffs. I think 99% of the GT500 wheels have been soaked up by NASA guys

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel