The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S550 Logical first steps for added stability/grip

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Cantley
I read as much as I can on what to do with the car and I have the impression that once brakes, tires, alignement and suspension are sorted, the logical next step would be to vent the hood before thinking about splitter/wing combo. Get rid of the front end lift before adding appendages?

The way I see it, the vented hood gets rid of something bad with no negatives, but I don't know that for a fact, it's just a guess. Can it be done by itself for a while or should it be done in conjunction with other things to keep the balance right?

I'm a beginner HPDE (28x 20 minute sessions) with base 2019 GT, H&R super sport springs, BMR CB005 cradle bushing lockout kit and adjustable rear upper control arms, strut and cowl brace, camber plates, 305/19 on all corners with MPS4S. I think the car is fine as it is but I also enjoy working on it.

My biggest weakness as a driver is entry into medium speed corners.
Thanks!

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
I would put the hood vent on right now, yesterday if possible. If you get a well designed and tested one, such as the Race Louvers unit, you will get much improved cooling and improved front downforce. These cars are front heavy and they push, a properly designed and tested vent will help a lot with the push, regardless of anything else you do. It was the biggest bang for the buck mod that I put on my car.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel