The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Sad News: Justin Wilson Died from his accident at Pocono

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

You hate to see this happen and it was a bizarre accident. I'm not sure how you protect drivers in an open cockpit car from debris like that. Prayers go out to his family including his wife and two children.

http://sports.usatoday.com/2015/08/24/justin-wilson-dies-indycar-driver-head-injury-pocono-crash-433040/

tmp1440373927725.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7EFP_wr2fo

ufnavy06

Some say he has a tattoo of his face on his face.
I read he was 6'4 which is ridiculously tall for a driver. I wonder if he had been a little shorter if that would have hit the air intake and he's still be alive.

Definitely very sad news for the racing community. A lot of discussion should come about as a result and rightfully so. My thoughts and prayers have been and will continue to be with his family and his extended IndyCar family.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Texas
Accidents like this hit home with me. As many know I lost my dad to something similar. Justin and my dad were both doing something they loved; my heart goes out to him and his family. Gone but never forgotten.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Bad stuff for sure.

At least he went quickly; not languishing in a coma like Schumacher or holding on for months before slipping away like Bianchi.

Sat times for motorsports :(

RIP.

Crazy random stuff is the scariest.

There was a kart driver racing at a track here a few years ago when a wheel came off of a kart on the other end of the track, bounced 150 feet through the infield, and hit him in the head. He died a few months later of his injuries. Open wheel racing is extra dangerous.

TymeSlayer

Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
Justin was a local Longmont, Colorado resident who will be sorely missed. He was just a regular guy who would take to you for hours about cars and racing with anyone who asked. May he rest in peace.

I know open wheel/cockpit racing is what it is, but maybe they could try to devise a swiveling roll bar sort of protector that could be engaged ( rolled forward) after the driver is in the car. That would have helped deflect the debris that hit Justin in this instance. Hind sight is 20/20 but anything to prevent/curtail this from happening again should be looked into.

TMO Supporting Vendors