The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

SAE Panel Recommends Raising Octane Levels

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

As a boss owner, no problem. But as an older daily Camry owner, I wouldn't want to waste money on a gas that I won't be using the fuels full potential.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
I totally agree, and thanks for posting that article.

I really think we have it backwards in CA with the 91 octane "premium". ::)

Oxygenated formulations and winter blends all need to go the way of the Dodo bird.

I asked this question to Richard Holender after watching one of his You Tube videos. I'll ask it here.

When it comes to tuning, is there that big of a difference between 91 and 93?? I live in Texas so we have 93 octane. Maybe the 91 in other states has something different other than 2 points....

It depends on the engine. For example most turbo direct injected engines (like the Ecoboost) are seriously knock limited. Doesn’t matter how much boost you throw at them they don’t make real power without octane. Mustang Ecoboost engines with a custom tune will make an extra 20+hp (at 320whp) on 93 vs 91. E85 is significantly more, 50+hp.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel