The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Safest/Best Half Cage?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I have been holding off on doing a cage, as my kids still like riding in the car, but I have gotten to the point that I am the only one in my level run groups with out much for safety.

Not willing to go full cage just yet. Watson seems like the Popular route, but the likes of RSR or CMS look a little beefier. Different mounting points too.

Would love your feedback!

Last edited:
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Lenoir City TN
When I put a bar in my 2011 it came down to the Watson or one from Maximum Motorsports. The MM is a little more work to put in, but is less expensive to buy initially. The Watson bar is a straight bolt in and doesn't require anything other than drilling some holes. The MM bar comes broken down and requires the rear legs to be welded and the bar painted. I opted for the welded in harness bar and diagonal. I had it powder coated a textured black that blends into the interior. In the end it cost about the same as a Watson.

There are some differences in mounting. The Watson bar mounts to the existing sheet metal B pillar braces and the rear legs bolt to the flat metal in the trunk area behind the rear seat. The seat backs must come out due to the leg placement. The MM comes with fabricated B pillar braces and the rear legs mount to the curved inner fenders where the structure seems more substantial. You cut the interior panels around the bar, but can leave them in. The seat backs can also stay in to absorb noise. The diagonal brace on the MM bar is an option and you can get it with or without a harness bar. a removable harness which makes the back seat more accessible is an option.

There is also the Competition Motorsports which appears to allow for a little further setback for the front seats. If you are tall that may be a consideration. I thought about this one before I went another route.
I purchased my Boss in late 2019 and thought about a half cage to keep it semi streetable. That lasted about a week and then I gutted it out and went with a full cage. For me it was all about maximum safety.

IMG_5874.jpg

IMG_5810.jpg

IMG_6175.jpg

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
So cal
Id go with and went with Cms, if you carry a passenger the watson doesn't have the diagonal bar to protect the passenger only the driver, where the cms cage has both.

Id go with and went with Cms, if you carry a passenger the watson doesn't have the diagonal bar to protect the passenger only the driver, where the cms cage has both.
There is also the Competition Motorsports which appears to allow for a little further setback for the front seats. If you are tall that may be a consideration. I thought about this one before I went another route.
I purchased my Boss in late 2019 and thought about a half cage to keep it semi streetable. That lasted about a week and then I gutted it out and went with a full cage. For me it was all about maximum safety.

View attachment 85832

View attachment 85833

View attachment 85834
I think CMS is the winner!

Ill probably end up with a full cage at some point.

Your car is looking very good BKBoss302. I'm taking my car from once a year to 3-4 times a year track days. The first thing i'm doing is getting a fire system, but right after that harnesses and a harness bar OR 4pt bolt in cage. Is there a benefit to the 4pt over the harness bar? its 3x the cost to purchase. Also, do you know of a thread where they discuss what resistors to jump to prevent seat belt warnings?

Bringing this thread back to see if anyone has experience installing a roll bar in an S197 with the glass roof option? MM specifically says their roll bar won't fit, Watson Racing says theirs does, and CMS doesn't seem to mention it. Any thoughts or advice, or other options or considerations I should be thinking about? Many thanks.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
SoCal
Is there a benefit to the 4pt over the harness bar?
Don't know if you got your answer already or not but in case you haven't: the 4pt offers rollover protection while the harness bar does not. Really the harness bar only offers a way to mount harness belts but brings zero safety value to the table. I would advise against a harness bar.

I just ordered a CMS for my 500…the way it installs sold me. I dont want to drill into the body to the extrerior

i wont give watson any money with the absolute garbage full cage they sent me, acknowledged they screwed up some welds, then charged 20% restocking fee when URW deemed it unsafe with 1/4’’ to 1/2’’ gaps in the welds.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel