The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Safety upgrade for HPDE

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
I got theses from Cooltech

http://www.cooltechllc.com/ford-boss-302-parts-accessories/75-3-single-seat-6-pt-harness-kit.html

Fit with the boss recaros no problem, as well as with my Corbeau race seat.

Its a little bit more expensive but comes with nice Boss Bling!

Sean said:
Which leads me to my next question, what 5 point harness were you guys using with the stock Recaros?

6 point is the way to go, not 5. The "sit on" style sub belt is what you use. There is at least three belt manufacturers that make them that I know of. Willans, Crow and Schroth. There may be more.

IMG_20140711_160510_zpsyfrje4zb.png

And the thread link to the mount for the belts. https://trackmustangsonline.com/index.php?topic=10976.0

Think I'm dialing in my desired setup after getting some good suggestions and doing a bit more reading:

Watsons roll/harness bar
Sub belt/lap belt mount - As mentioned above by Mike
6-point harness (leaning towards Schroth Profi II-H) - Just need to make sure I can get the 'sit on' sub belts
Head and Neck restraint - HANSII/III or Schroth SHR-Flex (looking for a gently used one, but may end up getting new)

Anything major I'm overlooking? Looking to just 'up level' my safety setup for a few HPDE days a year. Planning to get everything purchased before Thanksgiving and setup prior to my next schedule event in December.

barspen said:
Think I'm dialing in my desired setup after getting some good suggestions and doing a bit more reading:

Watsons roll/harness bar
Sub belt/lap belt mount - As mentioned above by Mike
6-point harness (leaning towards Schroth Profi II-H) - Just need to make sure I can get the 'sit on' sub belts
Head and Neck restraint - HANSII/III or Schroth SHR-Flex (looking for a gently used one, but may end up getting new)

Anything major I'm overlooking? Looking to just 'up level' my safety setup for a few HPDE days a year. Planning to get everything purchased before Thanksgiving and setup prior to my next schedule event in December.

Sounds like a good plan, barspen. Don't forget the excellent lap belt/sub belt bar from TMO member 06Mach1.

Since it sounds like you're leaning towards the same setup I have, thought I'd post a few photos so you can see what it all looks like installed. You'll notice I have the separate Watson rear carpet kit, too, which nicely finishes off the rear seat area.

I should also note that, although I don't have it in my Boss, both the Watson roll bar and carpet kit are compatible with the LS-style rear chassis X-brace.

IMG_8799_zpsbqouafqv.png

IMG_8800_zpsqbhtmnwh.png

IMG_8802_zpsl9jjzsyi.png

IMG_8806_zpsz2zaome6.png

IMG_8808_zpswaselkrb.png

IMG_8810_zpslqesddhu.png

dabossinne said:
Sounds like a good plan, barspen. Don't forget the excellent lap belt/sub belt bar from TMO member 06Mach1.

Since it sounds like you're leaning towards the same setup I have, thought I'd post a few photos so you can see what it all looks like installed. You'll notice I have the separate Watson rear carpet kit, too, which nicely finishes off the rear seat area.

I should also note that, although I don't have it in my Boss, both the Watson roll bar and carpet kit are compatible with the LS-style rear chassis X-brace

Thanks dabossinne! Appreciate you taking the time to shoot a few picts. That is exactly the setup (minus the Recaro seats) I was planning on. I already contacted 06Mach1 and he has me on the list for the belt\sub bar that I should be getting in a few weeks.

I'm debating how I want to install the Watsons bar (plan on getting it in Nov)...I really want to make sure I have the rear seat available for looks\resale\passengers. To cut or not to cut the trim...I will figure that out next month.

One questions, with the Schroth 6-point belt, is there a special "sit on" style/model you need to order? Or is it just a standard belt that is routed through the back of the seat?

barspen said:
Thanks dabossinne! Appreciate you taking the time to shoot a few picts. That is exactly the setup (minus the Recaro seats) I was planning on. I already contacted 06Mach1 and he has me on the list for the belt\sub bar that I should be getting in a few weeks.

I'm debating how I want to install the Watsons bar (plan on getting it in Nov)...I really want to make sure I have the rear seat available for looks\resale\passengers. To cut or not to cut the trim...I will figure that out next month.

One questions, with the Schroth 6-point belt, is there a special "sit on" style/model you need to order? Or is it just a standard belt that is routed through the back of the seat?

You're welcome!

There is no separate "sit on" version of the Schroth harness...it's the standard Profi II 6H "Flexi Belt" harness. It's just how it has to be routed with the stock seat. Since there's not a sub belt slot in the seat bottom as you'd have with a proper racing seat, which would allow you to route the straps under the seat, you have to sit on it.

One thing to be aware of is that some clubs may not allow this at track events, in which case you'd just have to revert to using the factory three point belt. Because of this, and for added track safety, I plan on purchasing a Sparco 'Ergo' halo-style race seat for next year that I can swap in for track days.

dabossinne said:
Because of this, and for added track safety, I plan on purchasing a Sparco 'Ergo' halo-style race seat for next year that I can swap in for track days.

I used to swap in a race seat in my GT but grew tired of that quickly. I had plans to change cars after I sold my house but someone else had other plans. After my GT was rear ended back in August I was able to work a deal to get a 2013 SBY Laguna Seca. Now that I have the sub/lap belt brackets I don't plan to swap seats ever again. I might upgrade the harness bar to a Watson 4pt next year though. I almost bought a used one this year but the guy decided not to sell the car. I may even look into getting a sub belt slot put in my stock Recaro's.

Since it is a more limited numbers car I'm in a constant debate about things like the Watson roll bar and modifying the Recaro's...or anything else that not reversible.

drano38

Wayne
I'm pretty sure its been said numerous times here cutting into the Recaro seat for a sub strap is a bad idea--but I don't remember the reason (no seat structure like a true racing seat?).
Best solution is 06Mach1's bar as mentioned above sit on the sub belts. That's my setup.
Crow will make a harness with sub belts long enough to reach the bar bolted to the rear seat bolts.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Definitely do not see the need or reason to slash the Recaros!! Lots of options out their!

I really like these and they work great with the Recaros or my racing seat

3-single-seat-6-pt-harness-kit.jpg

drano38 said:
I'm pretty sure its been said numerous times here cutting into the Recaro seat for a sub strap is a bad idea--but I don't remember the reason (no seat structure like a true racing seat?).
Best solution is 06Mach1's bar as mentioned above sit on the sub belts. That's my setup.
Crow will make a harness with sub belts long enough to reach the bar bolted to the rear seat bolts.

I will definitely do more research before considering it. Seems like I have seen someone that had done it. Thanks.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel