The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Sat radio

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bay Area
There are a few options. Its just whatever your prefernce is.

http://www.tss-radio.com/products/universal-sirius-factory-kit-for-car-radios

http://www.tss-radio.com/products/isimple-factory-ipod-and-sirius-integration-for-ford-lincoln-mercury-vehicles-1

I plan on taking my transponder for my surius in my other vehicle and hiding it in my boss and putting the unti in the center console.

My '13 came with a Sirius brochure containing a card for a 6-month subscription. I believe the radio has full Sirius capability and just needs to be activated which explains the button.

Bay Area
It doesnt have Sirius. It was cheaper for Ford to put in that unit rather than have another item on the shelf. Push your Sirius button and it will tell you its not available. I dont recall the exact text but youll get it.

Message says "No Sat Radio." I suppose that could mean no capability or no service established. Strange that Ford would include the Sirius subscription card if the radio is incapable of receiving it but I've seen stranger things. ???

GottaBoss said:
Message says "No Sat Radio." I suppose that could mean no capability or no service established. Strange that Ford would include the Sirius subscription card if the radio is incapable of receiving it but I've seen stranger things. ???

I checked my window sticker and, sure enough, it states that the radio is "sat capabl." I suppose that means the sat module is not installed. I would never have guessed it. Thanks for the heads up....I would have been very confused had I ever attempted to activate it, which I doubt.

For the avid collector I think Ford didn't install the sat radio as not everyone wants the antenna on the roof of their car. However I have read on a few other "uh hum" forums that some people hide the magnetic antenna under the plastic cowl where the windshield wipers are.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
LS223 said:
For the avid collector I think Ford didn't install the sat radio as not everyone wants the antenna on the roof of their car. However I have read on a few other "uh hum" forums that some people hide the magnetic antenna under the plastic cowl where the windshield wipers are.

My antenna is installed on the package tray/rear window sill with velcro. No drilling anywhere for install. Works great.

LindsayEOD said:
So your antenna is still inside? I didn't realize you do that.

It should work through the glass but I would think that in certain situations (direction of travel) the metal roof of the car could interfere with the signal especially in upper latitudes where the satellite is lower in the sky. It's a great idea though and I'd sure try it.

Some vehicles place antennas inside the outside mirror housings.

LindsayEOD said:
Wow, I may try and do the upgrade to sirius then. Had no clue it was even possible. Thanks guys.

Being a former Army EOD tech myself, you should know all too well anything is possbile with the proper application of high explosives!

Here is one example I have seen:

06404d1280861642-satellite-radio-wires-picture-017.jpg

I purchased the Sirius module at the dealership. More expensive than other applications, but in the long run figured it would be better and mounted behind the dash and ease of use with existing controls. And it is.

As far as the Antennae? There was an newer version that Ford came out with last summer. The round disc was installed on the inside of the dash, on the passenger side. No drilling, and out of the way. Haven't had an issue with reception.

The only negative for me? I really like to see the scores in real time of the games I'm interested in on the display screen. On the Boss display only the channel is displayed unlike other applications. Probably because Nav system isn't available for the us. That's the only negative.

I have seen an antena on a 2013 boss that was a small black square piece about the size of a match box, that was magnetic and stuck on the top, next to the front windshiedls weather strip. The wire was run under the weatherstrip, and inside the plastic piece that runs from the roof to the dash on the inside of the vehicle so that the wire was not seen. It ran into the dash and to the back of the radio It was installed by a local stereo shop and I was told was about $300 installed.

Senderofan

Having more fun than should be allowed..in my Boss
I installed my i-Simple system shortly after I got my 2013. The time consuming / frustrating part is figuring out how to remove the trim piece and factory stereo units (My factory antenna had little or no slack which made it very difficult to disconnect and reconnect.) Then it's a matter of deciding where to mount the unit and antenna placement. I have my magnetic antenna mounted about 1 1/2" above the windshield trim....and centered. There is a adhesive trim piece that prevents the antenna wire from moving with the wind. I ran the wire under the windshield trim and through the passenger side fender. No drilling and no leaks. It's been a nice upgrade, for me....YMMV.

Wayne

hi everyone. i have a sportster 5 sirius radio that i transferred to my boss. i ran the antenna inside to the back window sill and put one sided velcro w sticky tape to bottom of antenna and it holds to the fabric on the sill really well. there are no issues with reception and you hardly notice it there. having a dock and play unit is so much easier and cheaper you guys than getting the head unit hooked up. any more questions just ask. i will try and post some pics

TMO Supporting Vendors