The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

SCCA Advance PDX/Instructor Clinic - Summit Point - April 18

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NFSBOSS said:
Looking good guys.

Just curious if you always move your hands like that? Mine are glued to the 9 and 3 positions. You should investigate buying an Auto-BLiP. I'm never going racing and the AB allows me to concentrate on braking and not worry about the down shifts. Most of us that have them love them.

Ya, I'm a shuffler ::). I tried keeping my hands at 9-3... 10-2, couldn't make it work. I think the steering wheel is too big for me to keep my hands at one spot, causing me to tilt my upper body, which throws off my balance and the g-meter in my head :p

As for the Auto-Blip, I've thought about it, but the main reason I got this car was to learn how to drive stick. So, I'm going to try my best and practice heel and toeing.

Here's another vid of a few hot laps.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_KAW8_Dbwwo&feature=youtu.be

Awesome videos Sarkis, especially being able to see turn 6(?) before the bridge from in car makes a lot more sense. I am also glad I didn't take any in car video because you seem so composed and I feel like I would have looked like a drowning cat behind the wheel.

Thanks Brandon!
That's why I love in-car videos, especially the ones that show the driver and their inputs.
I guess I don't seem as composed as I felt, because of my steering style. I may have looked busy, but I didn't feel like it!

Honestly, you were as fast as me in the corners (even faster in the carousel). It just felt like you didn't go WOT as much as me on the straights, because that's where I'd pull away a little.

F.D. Sako said:
Thanks Brandon!
That's why I love in-car videos, especially the ones that show the driver and their inputs.
I guess I don't seem as composed as I felt, because of my steering style. I may have looked busy, but I didn't feel like it!

Honestly, you were as fast as me in the corners (even faster in the carousel). It just felt like you didn't go WOT as much as me on the straights, because that's where I'd pull away a little.

I don't think I did, as you pointed out I was shifting in spots where I didn't need to. Once I started running third through the last turn and into the bridge strait I felt like I picked up speed. I noticed too, unfortunately it was on the drive home, that setting the rear shocks softer helped in rear grip. I think I may also do the same to the front next time out to see if that gets rid of a little push.

so who was in the kona blue Boss 302 that got chased down and passed by the Fairmont? :p

around the 7 minute mark

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lb5A4zI8q0g

GOT SVT said:
so who was in the kona blue Boss 302 that got chased down and passed by the Fairmont? [emoji14]

around the 7 minute mark

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lb5A4zI8q0g

That would be me, he then later let me pass as well. Which it looks like he was doing a cool down, boo.

Brandon302 said:
Jealous you weren't chased down by the Fairmont?

Nope. I thought he was in the instructor's group and not PDX. I never saw him in the other sessions, unless this was the session that I missed while hunting for a battery!

F.D. Sako said:
Nope. I thought he was in the instructor's group and not PDX. I never saw him in the other sessions, unless this was the session that I missed while hunting for a battery!
That was the 3rd session I believe, he was quick on really small tires.

GOT SVT said:
all in good fun guys

i am not sure what class he was in

i will ask him, as he his a member on the site i own

Of course, it was awesome seeing him pass that Miata, and I am sure he passed the same Porsche's we did, that may not have been fun for them ha.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
Brandon302 said:
I'd love to know what's done to the Fairmont also just to see how well (or not so well ha) it is setup.

There were a few videos on YouTube where a Fairmont was tearing up the track out west. Apparently Fox Body parts fit the Fairmont. Suspension and drivetrain from a Fax body was fit to that Fairmont.

This car is either the same car or same concept. I do not remember a V-8 fairmont.

TMSBOSS said:
There were a few videos on YouTube where a Fairmont was tearing up the track out west. Apparently Fox Body parts fit the Fairmont. Suspension and drivetrain from a Fax body was fit to that Fairmont.

This car is either the same car or same concept. I do not remember a V-8 fairmont.
I think the Fairmont uses the fox platform like you stated. I think what's most impressive is I think he had 225 or smaller tires, or they looked very thin. He could move out.

here is what i know so far, i'll ask for more info

I was in the Advanced PDX class, but I wasn't getting out as much as I could. My fuel line is a stock '80 Fairmont piece, and is really too small for a 750 CFM carburetor. It left me with an empty carburetor at least twice a lap, down on power or detonating. I'll be rectifying that before the July event. Also, the small tires in question are 225/50-15s.

this car is from the pittsburgh area

GOT SVT said:
here is what i know so far, i'll ask for more info

I was in the Advanced PDX class, but I wasn't getting out as much as I could. My fuel line is a stock '80 Fairmont piece, and is really too small for a 750 CFM carburetor. It left me with an empty carburetor at least twice a lap, down on power or detonating. I'll be rectifying that before the July event. Also, the small tires in question are 225/50-15s.

this car is from the pittsburgh area

That makes more sense on why he had slowed. That car is just too awesome.

got some more details on the Fairmont:

Underprepared CP car. It is a 1980 Fairmont 2-door sedan with a 347" 302, a T-5 trans, 8.8" rear with 3.55:1 gears and a TORSEN T-2R diff. The engine is built light for N/A, high-RPM operation with forged internals, GT-40X heads, an Anderson N-51 cam, 7 quart road race pan and stud girdle, and coated bearings and pistons. It's got an Edelbrock Performer Air Gap intake and a Pro Form 750 CFM mechanical secondary carb.

The front suspension consists of a '90 K-member holding stock lower control arms with Global West Del-A-Lum bushings. Double adjustable QA-1 struts and 8", 400 lb/in springs hold it up, and Maximum Motorsports caster-camber plates hold the alignment. Steering is a 93 Cobra R rack. The brakes are 11" Mustang unis with Stop Tech cryogenically treated rotors, Lincoln calipers and master cylinder, and PFC Carbon Metallic pads.

The rear axle is located by an Evolution Motorsports Tri-Link, a Watts link, and Global West lower control arms with Del-A-Lum and spherical bearings. Maximum torque arm springs keep it off the ground and crappy shocks do their best to keep up.

The interior is a pair of old Corbeau Forzas. That's it. No carpet, no back seat, no headliner. The tach, and Auto Meters for oil press and water temp are mounted on top of the dash, near the line of sight.

Current best lap on the Summit Point Shenandoah Circuit is a 1:48.XX.

GOT SVT said:
got some more details on the Fairmont:

Underprepared CP car. It is a 1980 Fairmont 2-door sedan with a 347" 302, a T-5 trans, 8.8" rear with 3.55:1 gears and a TORSEN T-2R diff. The engine is built light for N/A, high-RPM operation with forged internals, GT-40X heads, an Anderson N-51 cam, 7 quart road race pan and stud girdle, and coated bearings and pistons. It's got an Edelbrock Performer Air Gap intake and a Pro Form 750 CFM mechanical secondary carb.

The front suspension consists of a '90 K-member holding stock lower control arms with Global West Del-A-Lum bushings. Double adjustable QA-1 struts and 8", 400 lb/in springs hold it up, and Maximum Motorsports caster-camber plates hold the alignment. Steering is a 93 Cobra R rack. The brakes are 11" Mustang unis with Stop Tech cryogenically treated rotors, Lincoln calipers and master cylinder, and PFC Carbon Metallic pads.

The rear axle is located by an Evolution Motorsports Tri-Link, a Watts link, and Global West lower control arms with Del-A-Lum and spherical bearings. Maximum torque arm springs keep it off the ground and crappy shocks do their best to keep up.

The interior is a pair of old Corbeau Forzas. That's it. No carpet, no back seat, no headliner. The tach, and Auto Meters for oil press and water temp are mounted on top of the dash, near the line of sight.

Current best lap on the Summit Point Shenandoah Circuit is a 1:48.XX.

Damn I wasn't too far behind him then with a 1:49.xx. Sounds like there is quite a bit of work, not a ton of brake or tire though for that much speed.

But I'm sure the car was pretty light, so it could get away with the small tires and brakes.

I should've at least timed my laps for a session to get an idea. Now I have to go to Shenandoah again ::)

TMO Supporting Vendors