The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

SCCA Autocross Classification

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Though I plan to track my Boss, I also want to Autocross/Solo II the beast in SCCA events. Surprisingly they have decided , right out of the box , that is can't go into a stock classification. So hence we all have to wander into the Street Touring Class next , and bang the big caveat is you can't run Pirelli P Zero Corsas -- have them on my car even though it is not a Laguna Seca. Apparently these tires are too close to a DOT race tire, under their present review, so off we go now to E Street Prepared.

Seems they feel this will be a super potent machine right out of the box , and with a 7500 redline I can see some of the rationale. Just wondering if anyone has been running their boss in any autocrosses and what they have found for the cars strengths and weaknesses?

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
That's what I thought but it appears to be listed as not eligible --- so will go back and reread and it sure would be alot easier. The funny thing is I upgraded to PZero Corsas and they are not eligible even in Street Touring now.

So still have to go to ESP in my case.

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Looks like you are right -- not sure what the heck I was reading other than getting side tracked on the tires.

Think I will call on Monday and see if it was just a case of tire size classification, and maybe the PZero Corsas are okay now. Otherwise, looks like ESP anyway.

Appreciate you catching me asleep at the wheel.

Bill - For autox I highly recommend checking out the Vorshlag build here:

http://www.vorshlag.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7806

They have done some extensive testing on the there 2011 GT. There is a lot of reading to do.... I do recommend to read at least all the posts by Vorshlag because you will miss some key things if you skim for major data.

Actually a lot of the stuff is a good read for anyone who wants to track or autox the 2011+ Mustang....

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Thanks Adam, I will look that over , but pretty blessed here as our Motorsports Mgr here , Mark Jorgensen, is probably one of the best known Autocrossers in the US ( dominated for years in a 98 Cobra ). His claim to fame is his meticulous prep and suspension acumen. So will have him check out things, as there is plenty of good data out there. It will be primarily set up for the track, but alot applies to both areas. We have a dominate shop for Vipers ( have actually done more Superchargers than any Dealer or Tuner in the Country) , and often work on Mustangs, Vettes, etc.

Mark is a sponge and always looking for new or other improvements or companies, so appreciate all the info.

Have you had a chance to autocross your Boss? I have only run one two laps , but was suitably impressed and it seems to me it could be a sleeper -- especially in A Stock. I already have too many changes to stay there, but ESP should be a good mix.

Sounds like he will be of great help! However, again you may want to read what I linked you too. The Vorshlag guys run mostly in NASA so I am not sure how different the classes are.... They are not having an easy time in what class they run in. In fact they stopped doing time trials because they could not be competitive in both classes at the same time. They have done a ton of testing on wheel sizes and tires. Also they have a complete suspension job from AST and have done a lot of testing with them present at the track to the point they developed, and redeveloped the valving and spring rates. Again, lots of testing and lots of info... May save you some headaches and money...

I have not autocrossed the car. I would like to I just haven't had the opportunity...

OLOABoss

AKA OLOABoss
Could of sworn the Boss was classed in AS. The big problem with the Boss in stock is the short gearing very easy to hit redline. Could run 295/30 19 Hoosiers square and add either a front or rear bar to balance the car in stock trim. I have run several AutoX in the Boss on street tires and it is a lot of fun.

Peter

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
I did correct myself and noted not sure what I was reading, but the problem staying in A Stock is I already have a few changes that will not let me stay in stock. Street Touring can not use Corsas at the present time , so on to ESP.

The non LS's can run in A Stock (AS) according to page 168 of the rule book.

http://scca.cdn.racersites.com/prod/assets/2012_Solo_Rules_March.pdf

I would hate to run a stock LS in the ESP class.

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Actually I don't think ESP will be bad at all after a few mods ( camber plates, Hoosiers, alignment and corner weighting, weight reduction ,etc.). Will see after a few more events, but the 7500 redline is pretty beneficial in my estimation for Solo II.

TMO Supporting Vendors